Reliable drift car

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by S14JON, May 29, 2008.

1. S14JON

S14JON Member

Hey guys im just after ideas on what i can do to bullet proof my S14 engine and suspension as much as possible whilst being used as a daily driver/drifter.
    Heres a list of spec so far:

Silvia S14 K's Edition- Navan bodykit & spoiler, Advan Siena Gen-2 rims, HKS induction kit, THS 3in elbow, downpipe and de-cat, Uras 3in S/S system, custom front mount, 255lph Walbro, Apex short-shifter,IK22, HKS EVC 6 ebc, Exedy clutch, Tomei super strut bar(front), DW's carbon strut bar (rear) Cusco coilovers, ATI & Greddy guage pods, 4x Autoguage guages, Defi heads-up display, Greddy catch can.

Cheers

2. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

I would suggest it would be worth looking at your cooling if you want to keep everything happy and are going to be giving the car some abuse.
    Oil cooler, front mount intercooler and a larger radiator if you're noticing coolant temps getting high would all be helpful

3. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

Was going to say body kit and wheels have no relevance but I suppose you'll probably crack or break it drifting so maybe it is relevent ;) IMO if you have to rely on it for work or whatever you'd save money and stress by getting either a runaround for work if you don't mind denting up your s14, or get a tramper to drift in. If you only do the odd drift day at places like SantaPod then you are less likely to dent it but you still run the risk of killing the engine. Suspension makes little difference for reliability as it just does what it says on the tin. If you want a comfy ride to work then don't get coilovers or whatever, if you want the best skidder then do get them. As for engine reliability, keep it standard boost and upgrade cooling parts as much as possible. Get a good race radiator and it'll do it wonders. Standard powarz are fine IMO if you need to rely on the car for other things.

4. S14JON

S14JON Member

Cool ive got FMIC already and coilovers (sure i put them on them on that list) lol, I know bodykit etc doesnt make any difference really but just copied my sig from SXOC lol.
    So at the mo its oil cooler and race rad on the list anything else guys??

5. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

What boost do you run and what are your temps like on drift days?

6. S14JON

S14JON Member

Im running 1 bar but uping it to 1.2 once i get my injectors and re-map mate, as for temps they seem pretty stable but must admit not been to an official drift day where i can keep on the go for more than half hour to an hour, but i will be soon :thumbs:

7. royal

royal S1- F.T break!

The more you tune the less reliable it is. Its especially the case with upping the boost, regardless of how 'safely' its been done it lessens the life expectancy of the engine. Just do all you can for oil, coolant and intake temps.