Review of U.K.D1 round 3

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by PhilMorrison, Jul 22, 2004.

1. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

We'd like to know what you thought of the event, from a spectators and drivers point of view :)

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Well a pretty good day really, something to do with my result I suspect.:)

I had massive unsdersteer problems all morning, I think because of my tyre choice i.e. bad, but once I'd got the 17s on the front things improved a fair bit. Didnt actually manage a half decent run until the competition runs.

Didnt get to spectate much apart from watching the Pro class which were as good as always especially Julian in the R34. Stunning smokiness.:D :eek:

One thing I was a bit concerned about was the speed camera thing. I'm not sure if it was used as part of the scoring in the end or not but the speeds measured seemed to be a little on the low side. I was entering turn one at around 65-70mph I guess but the highest recorded speed I heard was 62mph. Surely I wasnt going into the bend faster than the pros? :confused:

3. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

I had a cracking day :thumbs:

I was all ready to sell the car and jack it all in if it didn't go too well (it's all relative:D) for me, as I've been spinning like a top in previous rounds and getting real disheartened.

As it worked out, I had a great time and managed all day without clutch kicking and only used the handbrake once, due to me winding up the boost on the car the night before and making it easier to spin the back wheels. Prior to this, I was clutch kicking or handbraking and spinning the car at almost every corner.

I appreciate you lot are miles better than me at this, but enjoying myself is (nearly) as important as the winning, and the competition is so friendly, it's untrue. Having said that, I'd like to learn how to do it properly. Is there anywhere apart from the drift bible that can teach me technique in layman's terms, or do I just need to practice loads?

4. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

practice is most important, watching you drive, you have the tecnique already, and if you say you didn't clutch kick that's good stuff, however the handbrake 'should' be used more than once, not to iniate though ;)

5. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

The only time I handbraked was when I was understeering into Brooklands, but didn't wind off any lock and span:D

6. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

I had a stunning day. Finally lost my Silverstone cherry.

Before the event I was really worried how well my 165hp mid engined, open diff MR2 would hold up on the grand prix circuit. But I found out pretty quickly that lift off oversteer works wonders at those speeds, and was soon hurling round brooklands and luffield on opposite lock.

I never actually managed to properly drift Priory though. Didn't have the noodles to go into it fast enough in all honesty. More practice of that is required. I fully intend to go into it alot faster at the next round.

The speed gun was used for information only. Also the speed was taken half way through the bend, and not at the start of it. Hence why the speeds were lower than people would think. This was because of the positioning of the camera. It only really works when cars are going in a straight line towards or away from the camera.

Can't wait for the next round

7. Genjuro

Genjuro keyboard drifter

I enjoyed it as i have the other rounds and it was quite exciting seeing different people in the top three, but at the same time they could definatly do with some other venues, from a spectators point of view. Its the 3rd time i've been and watched (i attempted to drive at the other one i went to) and watching exactly the same corners loses its appeal a little. I think thats one of the reasons people enjoyed Birmingham so much (i had to miss is it :( ) , because it was different. I'd love to see some smaller and tighter courses in the D1, this way some of the lower powered cars would be able to succeed too like they did at wheels.

All that said i'm not dissing the UKD1, i'll still go and watch every one, just saying there could and probably will be improvements.

8. Morf

Morf Active Member

Juilan and the R34 were a definate crowd pleaser, shame the guys get told off for burnouts and stuff, but rules are rules!!
    As a spectator it is getting better and better, the standard is improving so much each round!!

9. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

One point I forgot to make. Option need to sort the PA system out so that the drivers in the paddock can hear what is going on.

I made the cut and didn't know about it till someone told me to get out there again.

Oh, and the crowd were fantastic!!!!! Getting cheered as you come past the stand was an awesome feeling!!

10. Morf

Morf Active Member

The PA is ok in the stands, but at times the music can drowned it out. I don't think all the speakers were working last round either.

11. yeager

yeager Guest

Great day, good organisation from Option, still needs improvements but everyone is still learning by the day.

I found the track conditions in the morning difficult and the only run I did without spinning was the competition run!

I had a chat with one guy who was new to the event and he commented on how the first corner was scarey due to the blind exit. This made me think, my first time at Silverstone that first corner was very scarey, then the second time I knew a little more but my confidence was still low. At the third round I had forgotten about the blind exit and was in the zone thinking about the turn in and getting a good exit trying to get some sort of transition going... My point? Practice is the key and more venues is going to breed more and better drivers!

12. jash

jash Member

Top stuff dudes. :thumbs:
    This was my first D1 event i have been to, many more to come i hope. :D
    Well i hope my 200 will be ok after i have rebiult it and added the LSD then there is notthing to stop me lookin like a plum at the practis days. :cool:

13. Genjuro

Genjuro keyboard drifter

I just noticed the results are on the official site now for anyone thats interested. Unfortunatly theres no breakdown by corner.

14. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Awww, they promised a breakdown.:(

Interesting to see what score I got on my 2nd run though. I think Astonman should have won it really, hes clearly more consistent than I am.

15. missy

missy Driftscene Tog

was a good event to come and watch and now it's convinced simon that he definately wants to do drifting.......

the only thing that could of been clearer was directions to the parking area once you come over the bridge as the guy at the gate wasn't very helpful

16. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

Nah you won it fair and square mate, the only reason I got the score I did was because of a bit of mental drifting down the straight, I just couldn't keep the arse out on the 3rd corner because I was going too slowly by then.

17. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

18. stoofer

stoofer Member

was a good day

but having to score over 60 to get past the first round of the amateur section.... woah standards are pretty high these days

must not mention the lotus, must not sound bitter

19. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Let it go, man. Let it go :D