Rokkor/AP/Supersport coilovers, questions

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by pitesy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. pitesy

pitesy Member

Hi!

Dont' flame, please! :) I used the search button, but I found only 3 guys using these coilovers. I read it somewhere, that these are the exact same as ta-technix/jamex/hottuning/raceland, but with a slightly stiffer spring rate. I only read about 1 breakdown with these coilies (magicmat broke them) and I saw at Jeek's thread that he used the rokkor's for a year without any issues. So it can't be that bad.
    So i have a '94 e36 325i coupé, and I would like to buy coilies. I have doubts with these cheap coilies. I don't know if it happened before, but what if they'll break at high speeds? :S
    Or should I save up some more, and buy AP/Supersport/Weitec, or just go straight with Eibach pro-street coilies.
    If anyone uses here AP/supersport coilies, could them write a short review for me? I didn't find too much infos here about them too.

I hope didn't make any questions that have been covered before and sorry for my crappy grammar, I'm from Hungary. :)

Best regards
    Pitesy

2. richy d

richy d Active Member

few people,(including me) use them on the mx5 website,no problems!

3. Mighty_Mini

Mighty_Mini Go!Go!Auto

I had them on my e30 and was very impressed with their coat AND performance. Obviously not the same as £600 fully adjustable pillowmount setups but for the cost I would deffo buy them again!

Infact I have, this time for my mx5 since reading everywhere people were impressed with the quality for the price.

4. tippers

tippers Active Member

I have APs on the eurobox, and a mate had them fitted to his E46. Good for the cash but a very hard ride. Brilliant for 'enthusiastic' driving but a bit too harsh for everyday

5. lordf

lordf Member

i had AP's on my mini, awful imo, but then i did have JIC magics before they blew out and they were epic

6. pitesy

pitesy Member

Thanks for the replies!
    I forgot to mention that my car will be my daily drifter. Do the opinions differ that way?

7. pitesy

pitesy Member

Any other opinions?

8. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

I had the Jamex cheap efforts 1st and tbh they are exactly what youd expect for the money. They are ok, if you want your car slammed and hard so it skids better you cant moan at the price.
    I then moved onto AP's. These were substantially better made and a million times better damped. They were a bit soft for all out track use but for a daily / drifter or a daily that needs stancing they are perfect imo.
    After that I had GAZ adjustables. I didnt really rate these at all. Too firm and bouncy and still gave quite a bit of body roll.
    Now I have HSD's. Build quality that outclasses all of the above (but only just the APs) and ride quality that matches the APs. They are incredibly impressive, considering how low my car is and how flat it corners now they soak up bouncing off of kerbs (on the track) and bumpy roads surprisingly well. A few friends have commented how they cant believe how well the car goes down the road as it looks like it would be awful.

All of the above are on e36s. If I was just looking to make a nice road car Id buy the APs again without hesitation, if I wanted a mega cheap e36 drifter Id have no hesitation whacking on some ebay specials but if you can afford it the HSDs are the best Ive tried so far.

9. munnsy87

munnsy87 Member

hi bud ive bought the rokker collies and there great ive got an e36 325 and there spot on. my advise is to buy :thumbs:

10. R32 GTR

R32 GTR Active Member

I've just bought the Hottuning ones but am yet to fit the,, as you say the ebay ones are all pretty much the same. As Mike says if you're going to splash out on the AP's you may as well go the whole hog and get the HSD's :)

11. zenyo

zenyo Member

Anyone got any reviews about the supersport coilies? DW sell them so I can't imagine them being crap, thinking of getting some on my e30, hopefully good enough for a budget/ beginner setup :rolleyes:

12. pitesy

pitesy Member

Thank you for the help guys!

For now I'll stay with the e-bay special coilies.. I think the rokkor ones will be fine, they are the exact same, as the red spring jamex coilies (these were sold as raceland too, and raceland and rokkor ar sister companies).
    Thank you Mike for the very detailed answer! Later, if I'll have the right amount money, I'll buy the hsd set as you did.

13. Drift Slag

Drift Slag Member

I run the rokker coilovers on my mx5 and tbh for the money they are pretty good. My car is a daily and I havent had any comfort issues. I run mine at the lowest ride height and they are nice and stiff. I have never used expensive stuff like HSD's but if youre on a bit of a budget they really are good imo.