RX-7 or RX-8

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Ryan25s, Oct 5, 2009.

?

RX-7 or Rx-8

Poll closed Oct 5, 2010.
  1. RX-7 (all gens.)

89.6%
  2. RX-8 (all gens.)

10.4%
  1. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

Ok I've finally made the decision to go with one of Mazda's Rx Models for my first drift car project. I have NO drift experience and AVERAGE mechanical skills. The issue at hand is whether to choose the RX-7 or RX-8 Model. I have done a bit of research mostly through forums like these, and heard that the RX-7, Engine wise is a better choice, but that the RX-8 is better handling wise and can even surpass the RX-7 when tuned right. Basically I'm looking for which or the two is best for me to learn on(STOCK), and as my drifting experience grows that i wont out grow the car. Also im looking to invest a lot of time and money in this car so availability of parts and upgrades are essential as well. So there it is, knowing my needs and experience RX-7 or RX-8.

*Please give your reasons for the choice*

***PLEASE NO GENERATIONS ON EITHER MODEL,ONCE I FIND OUT THE MODEL I WANT I'M GOING TO***
    ***POST ONE ON THE GENERATION***
    :dw::dw::dw::dw::dw::dw::dw::dw::dw::dw:

#1 Ryan25s, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

i'd suggest that if its a car to learn on it depends where your learning and how serious you wanna be.

Basically, rx7 costs from £600 up, if you wang it it doesnt matter.

But i love rx8's, and plenty are used for drifting in other countrys (youtube it), and if your on a track with nowt to hit, theyre probably the more reliable of the too, pimper, cooler (in my book anyhow) and safter if you end up upside down. However, wouldnt wanna crash an expensive car.

How much would you wanna invest? If less, the rx7, if more, the rx8 (basically, it'll cost you big bucks to get propper power out of the rx8)

If someone dropped 10k in my lap right now, it'd be a toss up between a standard ish e39 m5 or a rx8 with a rx7 single turbo engine etc.

3. Zell

Zell Member

FC Turbo model for learning, cheap in parts, cheap to mod, when you learn to drift you sell it cheaply or make it wild

if you buy FD you have to invest much more into cooling system, also parts are way more expensive (suspension for example), but you can also buy a roller cheaply and make it a proper car for a few grands

SE3P (RX8) will be expensive (too buy and repair if needed) and got less power to weight ratio and no turbo so it's a bit harder to skid in it + any mods you make won't make an awesome differance

with any car you're looking to invest at least 1-2k for some coilovers and arms, weld the diff or put some better lsd and put some bucket seat with belts for your own safety, then you can go skiddin (not that you need all those to skid but to just make it easier for yourself)

or if you got the monnies buy an already prepared car, ie. if you got 9.5k you can buy Stavros's car

4. rotaryitus

rotaryitus New Member

The FC RX-7 for the same reasons as above. turbo rotarys = cheap power, ask any kiwi!!lol

5. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

iv looked into this before and bought a skyline instead lol but seriously from what i could work out fc and fd rx7s would be best as you wouldnt need to do much but the rx8 can be supercharged anyway and i think it was wgt told me they are very quick when you do it and a bit more reliable than a turbo but i know nothing about rotarys so my point is totally useless

also you say you are an average mechanic so its probably better to stick to something else with an engine you understand so then its cheaper for you coz you wont need other people to do the work for you

#5 finchy, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  6. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

depends on budget. If you're budget is huge go RX8, it its small get an FC. Personally i wouldn't go for an FD. Bang for buck FC's piss all over FD's. I have nothing against FD's theyre awesome.

Also FC's and FD's handle very similarly, making the FD not THAT much better for all the extra money.

7. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

NICK: Yea i mean im pretty serious about it and im over in the US. in all my budget to buy and mod will be around $30,000 USD. so really im looking for which of the RX models can be Moded to be the best of the RX's. So far im hearing good things about the RX-7 FC and to me it dosent make much sense to Put a RX-7 engine in a RX-8, wouldnt it be cheaper to just buy the RX-7? in an sense the RX-7 seems more pratical with the RX-8 not responding well to Mods and being less powerful.

Zell: Hmmm the FC just for learning? So moded and tuned its not D1 material? Also why would you have to invest more into the cooling system for the FD? Yea see the Rx-8 just seems more and more less appealing with the lower torque ratio and being more expensive to mod and all. and the thing is, for me, buying a stock car and moding and doing as much of the work myself that i can is part of the joy of the whole thing, so im not too interested in buying a prepared car, but thanks for the offer :)

Rotary: haha thanks for your input :D

**DOSE ANYONE HAVE ANY REASONS THE RX-8 WOULD BE A BETTER CHOICE??**

8. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

mate $30,000 for your first drift car an i thought i was a rich flash bastard lol may as well fit one of them triple rotor cosmo engines in a rx8 then with a bit of a tune you'll ave plenty of power and plenty to spend on handling and getting it set up

9. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

FINCHY: Skyline eh? if you dont mind me asking what made you decide to choose it? So can the RX-7's not be supercharged? and why not? yes i am average mechanic but I have friends that are very good and a few own shops so that should help :) lol

DtheBUK: Well i wouldnt say my budget isnt HUGE i mean its $30,000 USD (total investment planned) but really like i said im looking for which RX model can be tuned the best with out swapping engines and gives you the best bang for your buck. and so far the RX-7 FC keeps winning lol.

10. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

lol its the total amount im lookin to invest, but initially i have about 15,000 of it right now i can spend. So if i was to swap out engines a RX-8 would be the best choice? why? lol sorry new to this :D

11. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Bleurgh

John

12. big fat nick

big fat nick smells

i'd say (as some bloke on the internet and so, you should probably ignore me) that the rx8 has a newer stronger, stiffer, safer chassis, it also looks bitchin, and will continue to look bitchin for a while. Theres also plenty of modifications coming out for them, and they handle awesome as stock. (granted, so do all rwd mazda's). Did i mention theyre bitchin? However, they aint been around that long, so people aint started to reliably get mega power out of the renesis engine yet, but an engine swap is an easier way to big power, and 3 rotors are awesome!

The rx8 in this video should be all the motivation you need for an rx8 with a 3rotor swap.. YouTube - Mad Mike Red Bull's RX8 Test Day

And another thing, and this only applys if your tall, and i dunno about fc's, i've never been in one. But i cant fit in rd's, not now, not ever, and theres no chance i'll get in one with a helmet on. rx8's, i can (providing its a none sunroof car, i'm 6 foot 3, and pretty chunky)

13. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

mate i picked the skyline because its powerful from standard the r33 looks amazing the gtsts are cheap and rwd they aint really that hard to tune and far more reliable than a rotary i can get me my missus her kid my kid 2 pushchairs in and iv got room for a mate in the middle rear seat it handles amazing sounds awsome drifts well i find it very progressive i understand piston engines more than rotarys there are god knows how many companys that do parts for them and i loved it from the day i got it i do inted to own an rx7 some day but i will definatly keep the skyline aswell
    it has everything the rx's have and a bit more althought when i finally do get an rx it will be an rx7 fd3 with a big single turbo and a burnout bodykit and flush fit headlights thats for definate

but being a yank i dont know what availabilty is like for r33 gtst's over there here there quite cheap

14. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

Thanks For The Advice

FINCHY: Thanks for all your input i really appreciate it. so from all the comments and the poll it looks like The RX-7 is the way to go. I thought about the engine swap thing...but really like i said in the beginning to me if a car needs a engine swap to be competitive then i don't see the point in getting it. the RX-8's do look clean but i kinda fancy the older boxy look of the RX-7's. Again thanks for all your input Finchy and everyone else please look out for my next post on which generation to pick out of the RX-7's...ive been doing research and it gets very confusing with GENERATIONS and SERIES and GT this and that's.

:smash::smash::smash::smash::smash::smash::smash:

15. BTP

BTP Member

16. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

Thnx for the vid BTP that was an awesome run he took that RX-8 on. Just out of curiosity, why do u like FC's more? is it a performance or style choice?

17. BTP

BTP Member

i have driven my friends Rx8 before i loved it, dont get me wrong there very nice if i had the money to keep up with the maintenance frequent oil changes more than a car with pistons are recommended, to make them run better thats what i hear IDK. Rx7 or Rx8 i would buy one.just at the time dont i can barley afford my S13 thats all fucked up from me drifting it. hahah,but yeah i just like the way Rx7's look and love pop up lights on cars i love my pop ups on my S13 coupe, justin's Rx7s are the shit. i just love his cars.i think the only think that i think sucks about Rx7 or 8s are the GAS mileage its like driving a big ass truck but you have have a car that only fits 2 people kinda sucks.thats the main reason i got a 240 b/c i like and need gas mileage.

oh and if you get a FC dont plan on it begin your daily driver unless its in really good shape.

is this gona be you DD.?

so sick so sick
    Justin Pawlak
    [​IMG]

#17 BTP, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  18. Ryan25s

Ryan25s New Member

yea i was watching the 2008 D1GP in Tokyo and saw a sweet FC3S and FD3S they were tearing it up. yea i hear ya on the gas millage but how bad are we talking about? 12-15 mpg? why couldn't it b a daily driver? and no i wasn't planning on it, im looking to get a Ninja 650R for my daily driver.

19. BTP

BTP Member

well if you getting a bike to daily then you should be straight.your gonna get about 12-15 for gas but since you not gonna drive it everyday it should be all good.

20. finchy

finchy snapped hard!

you yanks should be used to shit mpg my dads vette and his camero hardly get double figures i would of thought an rx7 would be considered economical out there