Rx7 or 350z ? which one is a better drift car ?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by HenriqueB, Oct 9, 2012.

1. HenriqueB

HenriqueB New Member

Hey guy's I'm a new member here and looking forward to start drifting, at the moment im looking to get a drift car make one my self, and the two cars that i have in mind is the 350z and the Rx7 could anyone help me out on deciding wich one is better for drift ?

Thank you

2. Ste333

Ste333 "The Shoulder"

Welcome :) although im sure this topic has been discussed a lot....
    I would have a quick search.

3. Dedman

Dedman Member

Under Settings, My Profile and Log out it says: "Search here.." Type in the box and click the magnifying glass. Should provide a wealth of information.

Most people will say get something cheap and easy to fix, and with the price of headlights for the 350z at over a grand each brand new, rear lights £300 and each bumper around £300 for a standard one, they aren't cheap if you smash corners up... other than that they are great! No idea about RX-7 prices though.

Nonetheless, welcome!

4. Joe b

Joe b New Member

350 is a nicer car rx7 is a better drift car lol

5. konaboy6284

konaboy6284 Member

welcome :) and personally, the RX7 wins that round hands down. just make sure if you get one, it gets compression tested first. some of the older ones also have a problem with leaky injectors. and if your new to drifting, unless you have money pouring out of every orifice, the 350 just isnt financially viable as you will crash it... besides, RX7s are just infinately cooler cars.

6. docwra

docwra Active Member

Drifted both have we? I havent drifted a Rex but I know a Zed is fucking good, if Rex's were hands down better Im surprised they arent winning every championship everywhere. Or maybe they arent?

Yep, them rare as fuck import FD's are ten a penny when it comes to parts. The 350Z was the best selling sportscar in the UK for a couple of years, beating the MX5 but thats obviously got nothing to do with it.

OP, the FD is infinitely more tunable and better looking, the Zed is more reliable and I think a better out of the box car, I dont think you would be disappointed with either :)

7. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

same as this... drifted a 350 for the first time recently, albeit it had a good setup with hsd's and adjustable rear end but stock power and all i can say for the first time ive skidded n/a power and i loved it!!!

everything from the noise to how well balanced it was... definatley a good capable skid car that with just a set of coilovers would be brilliant out the box...

rx7, personally for me too tempremental and more to go wrong and cost to fix.... they handle very well around a track but for drifting ive never tried...

8. Jamie1st

Jamie1st Member

In my eyes, if you're looking at buying such an expensive first drift car, money isn't an issue here. Main reason, you will crash it!

I can't comment on either cars as I've never drifted either, but I think both are more than capable cars. Especially at an early stage?

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

Do it man, Ive already decided that if this SR breaks Im fucking off 200's entirely and buying another Z to drift :nod:

10. Jites

Jites Active Member

lol was thinking what id like to own next and searched for 350z vs and came here.

owned an FD and sold it to buy an s14a because parts are cheap and easy to get hold of, easy to tune and cheaper to run. FD has really shit lock as standard, decent parts always came from Japan so expensive, will rape you fuel consumption, sequential turbos are a pain in the ass but as a fast road/track car I think you can't beat them. plus looks better than almost anything out there with the right wheels.

seriously thinking about 350, they look awesome but not driven one yet so can't say which is better but I'd out my money on the 350

11. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

3 words.

brap brap brap.

12. d0g0k

d0g0k Member

Welcome to driftworks :)
    But for gods sake don't spend big money on a car to learn in. As pointed out it will go wrong. I splashed out on a 180sx for a learner drift car and was lucky enough not to crash it (too much) try a old Beemer to get the basics. They seem pretty playable with and off a friendly breakers yard a smashed front end can be pretty affordable to put right.

13. docwra

docwra Active Member

I prefer a howl to a brap, but each to their own ;)

14. DtheBUK

DtheBUK Active Member

I think for cost of buying you'll get a banging fd for the same budget as a 350 (I'm assuming 350s are fairly big bucks). You can probably pick up a fairly new engined small single turbo fd with coil overs etc for around 6k. But do you really want to learn in a 6k car?

Sold my fd for an e36 which doesn't get me as wet when I look at it but has been 10times more fun and 20 times cheaper.

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Cars are for driving.

A 6k FD is a way better car.
    A 6k 350 is way less likely to break when drifting.

So IMO it's a no brainer, 350 it is out of them two.

16. Vetal

Vetal Member

I bet parts for 350z are much more easier to get

17. cuzzfd3s...

cuzzfd3s... Member

RX7 all day long!!! better handling! Better looking! Plus I have one lol

18. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

So that clears that one up then....