S13 200sx wont take throttle

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by rava712, Nov 3, 2014.

1. rava712

rava712 Member

Hi all ive got a 1990 s13 that have just got running again after a year or so. The car will idle sweetly but will not take any throttle
    Have tried all sorts, its not fuel, loom, ballast resistor, the list goes on. I cant think of anything else it is probably something stupid because is running perfectly
    Any ideas and thanks on advance[​IMG]

2. gary g

gary g Member

Cud be plugs,fuel pump, maf, few things to be honest, id give it a good service anyway if its been sittin up that long,

3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

If it won't rev past 2500rpm it's probably the MAF.

4. rava712

rava712 Member

Dont think it MAF as have tried new plugs, coil packs, induction kit, loom, fuel pump and brain out of a running 200. Thanks for quick replies this is a head wreck at this stage

5. r3k1355

Read the ECU fault codes??

6. rava712

rava712 Member

Ye mate nice one never even knew about that your a genius just found idle switch and injector leak so changing injectors now will keep you posted. Major breakthrough thanks again was getting on my tits

7. rava712

rava712 Member

Just checked injectors all have same resistance. Gona just try change them now to find if any difference

8. NikH

NikH Member

they need to be flow tested to make sure they are all squirting properly

9. rava712

rava712 Member

Cheers nikh tried flow test by just spraying it out of engine bay. Wouldnt say its a proper flow test but all injectors seem to be squirting uniformly. Still getting 23 and 45 fault codes on ecu. Going to try more injectors and put a fuel pressure regulaor on it dont know much else to try but will keep yous all posted cheers again for help

10. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Am guessing it's a CA?

If flow checked injector's don't fix the issue, replace the fuel filter if you haven't already but would have assumed you would have.

Then take off the idle control valve and clean it out as they get gunked up, best to soak it in brake clean or diesel overnight and check for cracks, or even better get a new unit. Also check the gasket for obvious leaks and check the hose it attaches to as it may have perished.

11. rava712

rava712 Member

Cheers ben ill give that a go ill keep u posted

12. rava712

rava712 Member

Hi all tried cleaning out ifle control valve it was well gunked up. Car still running the same im trying to post a video of how it is running but no joy. It is revving a little higher but still not taking full rev. I am thinking about getting on with welding and painting as this problem is melting my head. Have got 4 different ecu so will try them and see if that fixes it but other than that painting it is

13. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Sounds to me like an air leak between AFM and engine, which on an S13 is loads.

A wrong reading AFM makes shit like this happen.

Split pipe, intercooler end caps, anything and everything that can leak will cause it.

14. NikH

NikH Member

Get some Easy start and go over all the pipework.. if the engine seems to rev up a little when quirting a certain spot thats where your leak is... as for letting the injectors fire out over the engine bay i'd be extremely carefull, It won't take much to ignite the fuel and it won't be a small fire. That said, All of them firing doesnt necessarily mean they are all working properly, get them properly flow tested its cost about £60 max

15. rava712

rava712 Member

Ye was being careful was only method I had. Ye must try the easy start and will post a link for the video. Cheers for advice until later xx

16. rava712

rava712 Member

Got fed up tinkering with engine got other sill nearly finished so will be painting on sunday hopefully. Will keep yous posted

17. gary g

gary g Member

Do a compression test to be sure, try changing the ignitor chip aswell

18. JDM-SAM

JDM-SAM Member

I would agree with stavros. You need to check for air leak.

My intake pipe popped off the turbo and caused exactly what you have described!

19. rava712

rava712 Member

Ye gona pop out engine in morning and check all pipes etc. Then will do compression test. Not to sure what you mean by ignitor chip sorry gary g. [​IMG]

20. r3k1355

The dropping resistor I think

[​IMG]