S13 driveway build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Adamround123, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

No definitely not haha it is growing on me tho this front end, I think it would look loads better with a massive front mount hung in that gap

2. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Had a crack at some rust repairs over that last few days, got the passenger side all welded up on the inside of the car.
    I'm quite happy with how it came out for saying I was using a stick welder, first attempt at welding on a car aswell haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *insert pigeon shit joke here* :p

Started cleaning up the drivers side, rust killed it, then made a plate up and tried to weld it... I think 'tried' is the key word in that sentence haha I diddnt work at all! Got annoyed at it so I started poking the chassis leg to try and find out how much was actually rotten!

[​IMG]
    Here's the bad news, not really sure how I'm going to fix this but I'm sure il figure it out!

I'm off to get a mig welder tomorow, I don't really fancy doing it all with the arc welder plus the welds that actually work look shite haha

And obviously when your poking around with rust you allways run into more and more... And more... And more
    [​IMG]

So what first looked like about 5 patches has now doubled :cry:
    But I guess that's what you get when you buy an old nissan haha

So because I diddnt want to carry on with any welding with the stick welder I started putting together my inlet manifold with new gaskets, ready for when I finally decide wether to rebuild or replace my engine...
    [​IMG]

I'm swaying toward rebuild but with just a cylinder hone, new rings, main and big end shells and obviously new gaskets and a head skim, maybe an oil pump if I can find one but mainly just a basics rebuild.

[​IMG]
    Who says snow stops everything! Diddnt stop me haha:D

More updates when I get my new welder!

3. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Last couple of patches of welding on the inside done today, loving this new mig welder it's so much easier!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gone over them all with seem sealer and paint to keep them all nice

I tried dying the carpet darker but it diddnt really work, so I gave it a spray with a black aerosol and I'm really pleased with the way it came out!
    [​IMG]
    Put it back in the car looks a million times better I think :p
    [​IMG]
    Just need to get some material to line the back cus obviously the back seats arnt going back in :p
    [​IMG]

Got the seats back in nice and clean now :)
    [​IMG]

My mate came over the other day to give me a hand so we obviously had to have this picture taken haha
    [​IMG]

Found this sticker in center console.. The 'never remove or install while moving' bit made me laugh :p
    [​IMG]

4. john905

john905 Member

Oh the joy of owning a s13, I spent 2 hole days welding mine up good job so far mate :thumbs:

5. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Haha it's not all bad :p appreciate that mate it's my first go at mig welding :)

6. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Small update, lined the back with some felt last weekend to make it neat and tidy, first attempt went well really happy with the outcome
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stripped the headliner out to paint it black to match everything else, while it was out I decided to take he sunroof out to sort the leak out and found this...
    [​IMG]
    I'm no expert but I think this might be the cause :p
    Gonna try and repair it this weekend and get the sunroof back in!

Went and picked these beauties up earlier this week aswell!
    [​IMG]
    Everyone knows lows are more important than a working engine :D

Few other little bits and bobs, wrapped my down pipe with some heat wrap just because I think it looks cool haha
    [​IMG]

Noticed my 'cat' isn't really a cat
    [​IMG]
    Hmmmmmm something's missing :p

#26 Adamround123, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  7. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

coilovers went on this weekend, still no engine in so the front will go down more but I wanted to see what it looked like with them on..
    [​IMG]
    The fronts still have about 15 mm of travel left, think il be using that still isn't low enough haha
    [​IMG]
    Love the sleepy eyes with if down low!

It failed the shoe test horribly before the coilovers were wound down all the way :p
    [​IMG]

Started cleaning the block up ready for paint and the rebuild
    [​IMG]
    Note the industry standard engineering brick haha, did the job tho

[​IMG]
    That's about as good as I can get it should be allright

Picked my head up from the engineering shop today and started lapping the valves in but I got bored after doing the inlet side so I called it a day
    [​IMG]

Ordered all my bits I need for the rebuild aswell today so they should get delivered at some point this week so I can get on with the rebuild next weekend! Can't wait for it to be running again :)

#27 Adamround123, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  8. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Update time!

All my bit arrived over the last couple of weeks so Iv been getting on with the rebuild

First I made an engine stand so I could actually build the engine
    [​IMG]
    It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it's doing its job and is still holding strong!

Then I gave the block a good clean and a coat of paint
    [​IMG]

My vetch yo! Grinding paste still diddnt make the valves lap in faster! Stupid Hondas haha
    [​IMG]

Sump on and painted black
    [​IMG]

Looking nice and clean
    [​IMG]

Got the head bolted down, don't understand the torquing process though... 30nm then 100nm then slacken it of 360 degrees then repeat the torques again? Never the less I did it just to be safe haha
    [​IMG]

Then I built the head up and put the cam belt on
    [​IMG]

Gave the cam covers a coat of purple instead of red, I think it looks good but the picture does it no justice... It's got a goldish flake in it which sparkles and looks mint! What do you think?
    [​IMG]

Then I started stripping the front end down ready for the struggle of getting the engine in without a crane.
    Plus I want to tuck the wiring loom in the arches and do a few other bits and bobs to it.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, going to attempt to get the engine in today! More updates to come :)

9. Bricey

Bricey Member

The felt looks really good mate, thinking about doing something similar for the back of mine, how did you stick it down just double sided tape or just held by the interior trim? Cheers

10. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Thanks mate :) it's like a fleece type material and it held down with spray adhesive

11. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Only had one day on the car this weekend so diddnt really get much done, managed to drop the subframe and get the engine mounted in the car.. Bit of a ball ache not having an engine crane but it went in allright.

Subframe out. Supprisingly my rusty chassis leg managed to support an axle stand so that was a bonus haha
    [​IMG]

Subframe on the floor ready for the engine, was hoping the power steering fluid wouldn't leek everywhere but it did :(
    [​IMG]

Little metal trolly Iv had sitting round for over two years and never used it until yesterday haha did its job tho :)
    [​IMG]

And finally it's in! Blue string just supporting it from hitting the bulk head, need to weld my chassis legs up next weekend and then the trans can go in. Should be nearly running next weekend hopefully :) should have a good few days on it
    [​IMG]

12. Joss

Joss Member

Nice work man getting stuck in! I like the colour choice for the rocker covers, classy [emoji108]

13. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Thanks dude :) was a bit worried it would look crap when I was painting them but I'm real pleased with them now they are on :)

14. Leno

Leno Member

probably a bit late now, but werre you not tempted to wash/clean the bay out while the engine was out..

15. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Not too fussed about it to be honest but I could probably get to most of it still so I might still do it :)

16. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Small update this week..

Managed to get the gearbox in and get the manifold and turbo on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taking a while just trying to remember how it all goes back together :p

Welded both chassis legs up at the front, only photographed the drivers side but they both look practically the same anyway.
    Started tacking and shaping the plate
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then welded it all up
    [​IMG]
    I know the welding isn't the neatest but I'm happy with it as I don't have a great deal of experience welding haha

Slight problem with the coilovers... This is my trolly jack all the way down :p
    [​IMG]
    Have to jack it up and down with a scissor jack to get the trolly jack under haha

Think I may have to make a sump cover/ under tray thing out of some sheet steal just to protect my sump
    [​IMG]

Need to build up my inlet manifold one night this week so it can go on at the weekend and hopefully it'll be running this weekend aswell :) if all goes well that is

17. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Quite a productive weekend this weekend, finally got or running and driving!

Friday night I had the work light out and I was fitting the coolant hoses and heater matrix pipes
    [​IMG]

Saturday was spent building the majority of the engine back up, got it all done bar the intercooler pipes and fluids and a few other little bits
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finnished the last few bits off on Sunday and it fired up first time! Happy days :)
    [​IMG]

Diddnt have it running for long tho as there was no coolant in it, I couldn't find one of the banjo bolts for the turbo coolant pipe, I found it in the end on the drive of all places so I pput it on and got some coolant in and ran it up to temperature.
    No leaks or anything like that so its all good.

Sourced an electric twin fan off a Saab 93 turbo, it fits the rad real nice
    [​IMG]
    Iv wired a manual switch to one of the fans and I'm going to wire the other fan to come on and off when the engine temp is around 85-90 degrees, not really sure how to do that bit yet so I think some research is in order.
    The manuals witch is being used at the moment just to keep it cool while its running on the drive.

Had it running on Monday, now Iv got the fan I had it running for longer and I noticed a water leak coming from above the starter motor so that's going to need looking at at the weekend, other than that it all looks good at the mo.

[​IMG]
    Everyone knows left over bolts are a good sign :wack:

[​IMG]
    And this is how it looks at the minute, that's my grandad underneath trying to spot the leak but no luck as of yet

I started wiring in my gauges but then it got dark so that's another job for the weekend, still loads more to do so pleanty more updates to come :)

18. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Oh and does anyone know where this pipe goes? I can't remember and its doing my head in! I think it's a breather?
    [​IMG]

19. Adamround123

Adamround123 Member

Not posted for a while as progress has been slow but here's a small update on what's been happening..

I found the water leak, it was a small split in one of the coolant hoses under the inlet manifold, had to take the manifold off to replace it but it's all sorted now thankfully, no oil or water leaks on the engine which is good just need to get a cambelt kit as the roller bearings are noisy but that's no big problem.
    [​IMG]

Got a triple pillar pod mount for my gauges, got boost, water temp and volts gauges so far.
    [​IMG]

Got a top hose adapter for my temp gauge sender and also a thermocouple for the top hose to work the electric fans.
    Had it running up to temperature every week, fans come on just after my gauge reaches 100 degrees C which I'm pleased with
    [​IMG]

Made a sump tray out of some left over sheet metal for some extra protection and surprisingly there were four captive nuts in the front legs for it to bolt in to
    [​IMG]

My mate came round again to help out ... Love this photo
    [​IMG]

Bought a rear strut brace off eBay second hand as I thought it was cheap and got it fitted, looks pretty dope
    [​IMG]

Then I wanted to drive it up and down my road to test everything out only to find out the bumper catches on the road lol
    Doesn't mean it's getting raised though haha
    [​IMG]
    Took some pics while it was on the road
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pretty happy with how the coilovers sit, just about the right height, definitely need some new wheels tho there's too much tuck on the back.

Tucked the looms to sit in the wings
    [​IMG]
    Pleased with how neat it turned out :)

But most importantly I got a bucket seat for it haha. made the subframe mounts and the inside seat mount just the outer seat mount to make now and paint them black so they look fresh
    [​IMG]
    Not got any pictures of the mounts but il get some at the weekend as ïm real pleased with how they've turned out so far

Oh and patched the sill up aswell just a few more patches to do then all the welding will be done then just need to underseal it all.
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, shall update it at the weekend.. If I get much done that is haha

20. Rob_ 200sx

Rob_ 200sx Member

Looks great an, reminds me of mine a bit! Yours is probably more reliable though ;-)

Love the rocker cover as well, very Cadburys lol