S13 expansion tank

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by THICK SOUP, Feb 12, 2010.

1. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

The expansion tank on my S13 has a big hole in it, I've been looking for a cheap replacement & found this:-

EXPANSION TANK EXPAN

Has anybody used one of these or anything like it to replace the expansion tank.

2. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

3. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

volvo ones work pretty well if you dont wanna buy a new nissan one, they,re quite thick and very cheap if you just go down your local breakers.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

#3 neil a walker, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  4. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

Cool:thumbs:

What's the one in your pic off?

5. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

i think it was a 740 turbo, so is the intercooler and radiator. All of it worked very well.
    come to think of it now, it was a closed system radiator so it may not work on a nissan one as they have the filler built into the rad.
    The one in your picture looks like a toyota one

6. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

yea you want an open system tank.

No pressure cap with an open vent thingy at the top and the water pipe at the bottom like std ones have

7. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

just chuck it in the bin, i have. it really wont make a big difference

8. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

So you just run pipe from the filler neck to atmosphere. I though you needed the bottle to keep the level up.

9. Vova

Vova Member

Basicly you CAN chuck it, however you will need to keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator as it will piss out some of it thru the hose (as pressure rises beyond .9 BAR). Also the expansion tank does give you a warning if you're loosing coolant, so another +1 for keeping an eye on the coolant level.

I have binned mine and put an Aquarius bottle in the chassis leg that collects the overflow, so to keep it off the track/road. It basicly does function like the expansio n tank. I did make a few holes on top of it for pressure release, workes fine for about 3k track miles now.

10. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Anyone that bins there expansion tank is a idiot, everytime you come to a stop and switch the engine off it will piss fluids out all over the place, then you'll restart your engine with low coolent..

Why would you even think about removing it lol.

you can buy them brand new from the states for about £40.

clarkey.

11. 2DRIFT

2DRIFT Member

How does the fluid in the expansion tank get back into the system? Once its in the tank, which is open to atmosphere via the top breather, Does it get sucked back once the rad cap shuts off once the pressure has dropped?

12. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

that is horse shit, mine never overflows. it just means that the coolant level sits just above the cores in the rad instead of right up at the top of the cap. which i very much doubt is even half a liter. my car barly even breaks a sweat when given some stick, and usually doesnt go much above therostat temp. but i do have a massive alloy rad

13. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

Yes.

basically Clarkey is right, everyone else is wrong. Haven't we been through this a million times?:wack:

14. superclarkey

lol, if your car overheats it will over flow, it will dump alot of its coolent out, i've seen it happen many times, also had a few project cars that have not had large enough tanks.

When it over pressuries it will flow in to the expantion tank, as it cools down at the pressure drops it will cause a vacum, the cap has a one way valve in it so it will draw the amount it requires back in, if you don't have an expension tank you'll draw air in..

Which will can to lead to air in the system and cause boiling of the fluid.

Its you that is talking shit, just because you've not experienced it don't mean its don't happen, what i'm telling you is a fact.

I can't believe you except it to be ok that your car looses coolent and you have to just "keep an eye" on it.

15. Jason

Jason Nurse?

you want a cheap replacement? use an empty powerade bottle, drill some holes at the top of it.. the center of the cap can be removed and the standard hose fits nicely in there.. without one your car will look incontinent when it gets hot...

16. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

:thumbs: Its also ok to run without an sump plug, just keep an eye on it :wack:

17. THICK SOUP

THICK SOUP Active Member

I thought you had to have in there for a reason & not seen many not running them.

I think I'll give that universal one in my first post a go.

18. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

i dont keep an eye on it.. never. i know its going to be in the same place the last time i checked it.

and i am fully aware of how a rad cap operates. thank you for the tutorial

19. superclarkey

If you understand how they work, why do you come on here and talk shit ? you may understand how something works and may not have a problem but if you talk shit and people read your shit, then they will go and do your shit, and they may have a problem with your shit.

People learn from what is said on here, if you give out incorrect info then people will go away with incorrect info..simples.

In short, stop talking shit :thumbs:

20. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

im not saying that my method is either right or wrong, i am stating that that is how i have mine and ive never experienced any problem in doing so. that is all. so get off your hobby horse sweet heart because i really do have better things to be doing than throwing back and forth with you