s13 Vs s14a, Pros & Cons

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Cog Head, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

hi all,:wave: as some of you may know, iv been littering the forums with questions as im looking to buy a s14a, but iv since been looking at s13's and ther growing on me, now i dont know what car i want!:confused:

So... heres my question, whats the pros & cons to each car?

engine / gearbox
    handling / braking
    engine performance / reliabillity

ect ect ect... your the experts :worthy:

Many thankings :thumbs:

Brad.

2. pegbox7

pegbox7 Member

Hi,

i'm new to this sport also and this Forum, but i went out and tried a few cars and the S13 for me as a beginer was such a well balanced car and it also feels light and compact giving the driver bags of confidence.

In my opinion its also that classic COST vs RISK scenario which gains confidence. What i mean by that is if you have £1500 in your car you will drive it very differently to a car you have £4,500 in !!!!!!

I liked the S13 so much i bought a second S13 as i have out grown the original one in just 2 weeks......DRIFTING its totally addictive :thumbs:

Good luck with your search.................

3. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

wicked, thanks, it seems i can afford a much nicer s13 too ac s14a's seem to be expencive with low miles.

another thing is, whats toe power to weight ratio for the cars as standard?
    i know the 180 is lighter than the 200, but then youve got to account for the more power the 200 has.

things just got a whole lot more difficalt!!!

if i can i want to have a car at the end of next friday, the rents are away on holls for 2 weeks so i will have loads of space and time to what i want to, and maybe even sneak a few parts into the dishwasher :thumbs: the work of god if you ask me!

4. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

spare panels are cheaper for S13s (if you mean uk RS13), but generally they are rusty and come with a shit engine, the CA18DET.

S14's have less rust, the panels cost more, but the engine is a shit ton better, SR20DET.

Gearboxes are roughly the same, suspension is roughly the same, although the S14s tend to have better grip, however the S13 is lighter and feels more agile, although generally they have worn out bushes making them a bit of a cock.

basically, whats your budget? As that pretty much determines what you should buy... think more of the collection of parts to do the job you want it to do, rather than the base bog stock car differences.

Why have i bothered to type all that? because i have two silvias for sale :) haha

5. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

ps. a 180sx changes the situation. which specific model are you looking for? the redtop SR RPS and PS13s are pretty punchy cars, the PS13 silvia being the better of the two.

6. Jamie-PS13

Jamie-PS13 Active Member

Best of both-
    S13 chassis, S14 running gear.

7. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

see. im an utter noob! i thought that as the s13 has a 1.8 engine, it was the 180sx :confused:

obv not

i take it there both 200sx's but the s13 is different shape and displacement... and dosent have a damn ugly rear end.

im looking at getting a s13 1.8 (the pointy kinda old MR2 shaped one) Auto and converting it as they seem to be in better condition, have low miles and as an auto usually means a nice easy life .

by s13 im reffering to one of these
    [​IMG]

and by s14a im reffering to these 800px-Nissan_200SX_S14a_Black_Stock.

#7 Cog Head, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  8. leeham_86

leeham_86 letdown liam

s13s are wrotten and have a chocolate engine... get a 14/14a and you will be alot happier.... unless you get a 180

9. leeham_86

leeham_86 letdown liam

10. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

spend your money on a nice 180sx with SR20DET :) better then s14 :thumbs:

11. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

if i can find a decent one thats been sealed on the uderside and with 50K ish on the clock then swap it to manual, what sort of milage are we talking for problems to begin to happen ?

12. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

what sort of costs am i going to be looking at to do the engine swap either a rebuilt one or one with low miles.

13. leeham_86

leeham_86 letdown liam

problems will start happening as soon as you get it, stear clear of ca18det and uk s13s, im sure theres a thread on sxoc that goes somthing like, "you know youve got an s13 when" then add your problems..... quite a big thread aswell.. mostly saying how you can see the road when you look in the boot and the bottom end or valve seats have gone again....maybe im just a hater tho:wack:

14. Cog Head

Cog Head Member

what about an inported s13? are they any better?

15. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

This sounds a bit like BMW E30 vs E36. Without going too far in discussion for these models I will just say with the years and drop in prices it's normal for people to go for the newer cars. Hence why S14 should be your best bet engine wise and also better overall car. Screw the look, I'd drive a Lada if it's a well sorted drift machine.

16. leeham_86

leeham_86 letdown liam

imported s13= not an s13 but a 180sx.... same look but genrally rot free with a proper engine... i actualy know of one for sale as it goes if your interested then drop me a pm

17. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Wheres Bizzle to join the CA hating?

To counter all the negatives about the CA, Ive had my car for 10 years. The original CA lasted me for 5 years at 280bhp until I blew it doing a top speed run with a poor map. So I rebuilt it and thats lasted another 5 years so far, now at 360bhp. Yes, CAs can be an arse if they arent looked after and serviced properly but so does any engine. How long have your precious SRs lasted you Clarkey/Mitto etc? I believe youve been looking for another SR recently Clarkey after killing your last one?:p

18. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Touche' Mister Steve. There are exceptions that prove every rule and yours has done really well. Generally speaking when you're searching for a car, the UK S13's can be pretty sketchy as the last 3 I've looked at have been proper shonky. I've scrapped better shells, and 2 have rattly bottom ends.

I've also seen some rotten 14's and 14a's too on my travels, especially around the rear subframe mounting area, and there are plenty of SR20DETs out there with shagged bottom ends now that they are getting a bit older and less well maintained.

19. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

Just to throw my hat into this one;

I tried, and really like the feel of, a couple of s13's but eventually went with a 14a because, personally, I like the slightly larger feel of it. That said, the 13's felt MUCH more sporty in the way they drove, the feel of the car, the size of the thing etc. Looking through the forsale sections at the moment you could set yourself up (if budgeted carefully and all the work done yourself) with an sr'd s13 running 350ish bhp on forged internals for about 2500. That doesn't include a mass load of wheels or an uber suspension setup but, to be fair, that's not the point. It'd be cheap to repair panels on compared to a 14, lighter, very quick and easily adjusted in the future.

20. pegbox7

pegbox7 Member

There are plenty of S13's out there for sale and there are lots with rusty panels and rusty floors; however there are also some good ones with lower mileage, service history's and good solid bodies - these are the ones you need to look at !!

Any vehicle that is 15 + years old with 120,000 + miles on the clock is never a good starting point for a racing car, weather its a std car or a steel under pants variant.....

With your budget you could find yourself a nice clean bodied S13 and one that someone has already spent the money on refreshing, ie refreshed engine, and suspension components as this is probably more important by illiminating as many high mileage wear and tear components as possible you give yourself the best chance of getting a fun reliable car and this goes for all models S13 throught to S14.....

My S13 is 13 years old but has no rot on it (waxoiled from new) and came with a freshly built Norris Designs engine done 2,500 miles with reciept. The actual car is a low mileage example and it is as tight as a drum - It didn't break the bank either.

Not knocking the S14 as in theory you would have to say its a later evolution and therefore a better car - but for what you want i just think you can get a better package for your money in an S13 !!!!

Thats my 2 pennies worth anyway !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p