S14 overheating. Will a ally rad be fine?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by MR.T, Oct 28, 2016.

1. MR.T

MR.T DRIFT RETARDED

So went pod and the s14 was over heating so had to remove the bonnet and bumper to keep it cool.
    I have the stock shittie rad atm so will a egay ally 52mm duel core rad keep it cool?

2. J0RDAN

J0RDAN Member

Normally the stock setup is fine assuming you still have the viscous? Checked that your stat is good and you have no air locks?

3. MR.T

MR.T DRIFT RETARDED

How do I know if I have air locks or test the stat?

4. J0RDAN

J0RDAN Member

Remove the stat and put it in boiling water. If it opens winner if not get a new stat. To bleed the water system top the rad up to spilling point and start the car, top the expansion tank up and turn your heaters on to highest temp and on fan three. As the stat opens you will see the water start running out the top of the rad. Put the cap on and open the bleed valve that is situated on the right hand side of the engine in front of the exhaust manifold. Open it to the point a tiny bit of water comes out. If there is any air you will see little bubbles coming out the bottom of the bleed bolt. Once it stops it bled and your good to go!

5. MR.T

MR.T DRIFT RETARDED

Cool thanks. I'll give this a try Monday

6. Marg

Marg Member

As above. See a lot of people running no shrouds. The fan can pull diddly squat through the rad with out help.

7. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

OEM rad vs a cheap rap egay rad ? That has to be a gamble ?

I'm sure some of them may be decent quality...but I wouldnt be risking it unless you know others using them and they are proven to work. If you really must buy another uprated rad, at least buy some reputable brand

8. MR.T

MR.T DRIFT RETARDED

Are the s13 and s14 shrouds the same? All I've found are s13 Ines for sale

9. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

90% of the alloy radiators on the market will be better than most 20+ year old, half-clogged with rust factory radiators

Hell, i had a factory GTR radiator in mine (with RB25) for ages and did everything to help it cool (premixed coolant, ducting, fans, sprayers, etc). Went to a relatively cheap 42mm alloy radiator and it helped control temps way better.

The idea is that the bigger radiators allow more coolant capacity to spread the heat over, and the thicker cores allow more coolant to be exposed to air. The only issue i've found with the real cheapies are warped cores, either from shite manufacturing or unable to hold the pressure when someone has a blown head gasket, but even koyos bulge when that happens.

One of the big differences (other than construction quality) between the good brands and the cheapies is flow. The good brands distribute the coolant as evenly as possible, and as efficient;y as possible across the core. The cheapies DGAF, but they still do an overall ok / comparable to stock job.

tl,dr: Get something in the middle with good reviews

10. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

Alloy rads of eBay are fine. I've had them in all my cars. Yes. Some cheap ones have warped cores, this in mainly a manufacturing error and nothing else. They don't affect the performance. Yes you should 100% have a shroud fitted. Even better if you have the stock electric fan in there as well.
    I honestly don't think you would see much difference at all in flow between a cheap Chinese rad and a premium brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Why exactly?

11. stevieturbo

stevieturbo Member

Why exactly ?

I've seem pictures of some of the cores and some of them are terrible. Uneven tubes, some tubes already expanded so almost round, not aligned correctly, some have terrible fin densities and generally some just awful quality.

A friend actually bought one for a Cossie a few years ago...and they'd used an intercooler core for a radiator, the tubes were huge and it didnt cool worth a fuck !

I would sooner trust an OEM spec radiator at half the price of a cheap shite chinese alloy unit, as at least you can be fairly confident of quality control.

IF...IF you know the cheap chinese unit is from a reputable seller and 100% proven to be ok then go ahead. Otherwise avoid. Especially as there are literally dozens of sellers.

It's no different than the same risks with buying any of the cheap chinese stuff ( and some more expensive parts too of course )

12. Leno

Leno Member

Before you start fucking about, what were you doing when it overheated? If you were sitting on the limiter in the play pens then nothing will help. If not then yeah I'd stick an Ali rad in there, keep the viscous and run the heaters on full hot

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

13. Saddened

Saddened Member