S14 Rear Subframe to R32

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by xTommy92, Jan 29, 2017.

1. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Tbh, i haven't noticed much of a difference in sound between standard bushes and solid bushes and that seems to be the biggest drawback.

Maybe if you had a mechanical 2way the bangs would be louder, but with a viscous LSD for the road and locker for the track i haven't heard any louder noises: mainly just axle CV's dieing loud deaths

But i have noticed a big difference in tyre wear, hugely improved.

Only thing I'd do differently is either notch the chassis rails or get angled camber and toe arms for clearance

2. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

Sweet, I'll go with the riser bushes then and figure out what needs persuading underneath to get it to fit. Also the angled arms are a good bet as it also mentions in the riser bushes description that angled toe arms may be required. Cheers Ben ! ;)

3. BenRice

Yeah angled toe arms AND camber arms - the toe arms smash into the rear subframe studs and the the camber arms smash into the chassis rails

4. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

Yeah, just looked at a picture and see what you mean, I can find angled toe arms but can't find angled camber arms. They are all standard and just straight.

5. BenRice

6. Black steel

Black steel Member

Hi i currently own a R32 with an S14 rear sub set up fitted by myself.
    You cant use S14 rear camber arms as they hit the shocks you need to use S13 or R32 ones.
    I modifed my CUSCO ones to get clearance which involved lots of grinding and welding cus They were better quailty than anything else i cud afford at the time.

Im running the solid offset bushes and poly bushed diff bushs with a 2 way nismo and dont get any unbearable knocking sounds use it on the road and track. Wen i had a welder that was loud but it did the job

In my opinion you dont need angled arms unless you want to run super low enough to slap the tarmac all the time.

7. xTommy92

xTommy92 Member

Decided to stick with the 32 frame now man anyway so keeping everything before but just freshening it up as to speak. Placing Riser bushes on now and will be going back on over the weekend, the diff will also be getting welded.

8. BenRice

Good to know about the camber arms

As for angled arms vs straight, to put some numbers into the equation as people's idea of "low" and "super low" differs:

At road-spec height of 320mm from guard lip to centre of hub i had 12mm of clearance between the camber arm and the chassis rails. I normally ran it around 290mm on track from guard to centre of hub giving me around 5mm of clearance.

The toe arms at 290mm self clearanced on the subframe bolts at road height and were about 2mm off touching at 290mm

All depends on the thickness of your arms as well