S14 steering feels shite, caster?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Leno, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Leno

Leno Member

Spec;

fully adjustable arms,
    Hsd's,
    Mitto's road/drift setup.

camber: 2'50/1'10
    caster: 7'30
    toe 0'00/0'00.

standard unwelded diff

yoko something on the front, nankangs rear. 28/35psi.

Now on the road the handling is spot on, the issues arise when i try a bit of drifting. The steering feels heavy, and doesn't seem to want to self center? I feel like Im having to manually steer the car to the straight ahead position, unlike my mx5 that seems to feel light and steers ahead piss easy!

Is this just a common trait of s14's, or is there something wrong/something i could try?

I used 'caster?' in my title as from what I've read this is what effects this kinda thing, could this have been set up incorrectly to give the symptoms? Im also getting rather a lot of understeer, could this be related?

Apologies for the crap wording, not really sure how better to describe it!

cheers in advance..

2. miffy

miffy Member

I've not personally owned a drift spec s14 but I've been well involved in a mates one and I remember his caster set to roughly 7'5 (which is about the normal starting point for most people) and he hardly touched the wheel during transfers , it basically drifted itself, long story short if that's what your casters at ,it's not causing the problem , sounds more rack or pump problem to me , have you checked simple things like the belt that drives the pump

3. Leno

Leno Member

Bummer, I have replaced the belts so yeah they're okay.. The steering all seems okay, turns fine while stationary anyway..

4. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

check track rod ends. probably siezed up

5. Leno

Leno Member

Now you mention that one of my coilovers still makes a racket while turning.. know they do a little when new but it's still doing it.. hadn't thought of that.

6. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Also LCA ball joints could be seizing up

7. Leno

Leno Member

Guessing the only way to check them is by removing them?

8. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Disconnect the tie rod end (you guys call it track rod end), grab a second jack and put load on the strut from under the ball joint, swing strut from lock to lock. If it doesn't go smooth-as-silk then either ball joint or strut top pillow ball joint is worn.

Will only be the pillow ball mount if they are cheap or old coilovers, and 99% of the time it will be the balljoint.

9. Leno

Leno Member

Thought that just after posting! Weirdly I fiddled around with the topmount on the offside coilover today. The top nut had kept coming loose until I lock tighted it a while ago.. undid it all today and bolted it all back up, greasing everything I could. When tightening it up it made a strange bang as if it wasn't located properly initially, seems to be a lot better now?! Shall investigate further when I get a bit of time to remove the track rod ect..