S14a Q to r33 gtst suspension swap?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Walrus_Pit, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Walrus_Pit

Walrus_Pit New Member

Noobie here.
    So I have read somewhere that the S14a and r33 are interchangeable for the most part when it comes to suspension. However these are all referring to the turbo models. I have a S14a Silvia Q and have an opportunity to buy an r33 parts car for cheap. Now I've been planning to swap in an rb25 for awhile but I never knew what to do regarding suspension and such as the rear end seems to be worse on the non turbo models. Now I was wondering if I were to buy said parts car would I just be able to essentially rip everything off my my car and have the r33 stuff bolt in or would i need to do some fabrication.

#1 Walrus_Pit, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Gooly

Gooly Member

What are you looking to change exactly? Front stuff isnt compatible at all as r33s use double wishbone suspension. Your Qs S14 will have small brakes and 4 stud suspension, so you need 5 stud S14 hubs up front; you can then use S14 turbo brakes or R33 GTST brakes which are even better. In terms of rear end, S14 Qs uses an R180 diff and 4 stud rear hubs but is otherwise the same as normal S14 and R33; if you convert to R33 rear subframe you will need a HICAS lockout kit and you won't gain anything. I would recommend using an S14 turbo subframe though with 5 stud hubs, R33 GTST rear brakes and R33 GTST rear diff though.

3. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

No fab needed at all.

If the R33 has HICAS, then just get a bare R200 S14 or S15 rear subframe and swap everything from the R33 subframe over (assuming you'll change camber and toe arms to adjustable items at the same time)

Rear strut bolts up exactly the same as S14 - same top hat and length.

You'll then have the R33 drum handbrake which can be better than the cable-to-caliper. You will just need to use the R33 handbrake cables and mechanism as well.

Only issue may be the R33 rear calipers, you may need conversion flexi brake lines. Good opportunity to change to braided anyway.

As for the front, I've gone over the R33 - S13/S14 subframe swap recently so do a search

4. Walrus_Pit

Walrus_Pit New Member

Thanks!
    So it sounds like it may just be cheaper to buy the hubs, subframe, brakes and diff and leave all the other stuff. But is all the other stock Silvia stuff going to hold up with an rb in?
    Also if I did this before I swapped the motor could it still be drivable or would the driveshaft not line up.

#4 Walrus_Pit, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  5. BenRice

All other stock Silvia stuff? As in suspension or brakes? You might want to go into more detail as to what you're wanting to do

Why would you want the subframe if you're only grabbing bits? You want to avoid HICAS if at all possible and chances are the R33 has HICAS if it's the turbo / 5 stud model

Good question regarding the driveshaft. If you were to get the R200 diff out of the R33 you will first need to check if it has an ABS sensor in the front of it, which makes it longer / driveshaft shorter to start with. If both the outgoing R180 and incoming R200 have an ABS sensor, the driveshaft will bolt up. If they both don't have ABS sensors, the driveshaft will bolt up. Any other combo you will need to swap rear-halves of the driveshaft to suit.

The rear half of the R33 driveshaft should bolt onto the front half of the S14 driveshaft if you are going from non-ABS to ABS (or vice versa), but if you're not confident in splitting driveshafts then it may be easier to just source a complete S14 driveshaft to suit the diff from the R33

6. Walrus_Pit

Walrus_Pit New Member

I meant buying a turbo S14a subframe seperatly not off the r33 parts car ( I definitely understand that I don't want hicas) and also I'm an idiot as by suspension I meant axels
    As for what I want to do well I was wondering if i could just swap out the diff, hubs etc as we discussed and still drive the car for another summer with the Sr20DE in it still and then i want to put an RB25 in next winter

#6 Walrus_Pit, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  7. BenRice

Sweet, thought something was amiss

So your question of swapping diff, axles, hubs, subframe for the meantime is possible, but remember you'll be going from 4 stud to 5 stud so will need a pair of 5 stud wheels too.

How about this:

S14 turbo subframe & arms
    R33 diff (and appropriate driveshaft/rear half of driveshaft if changing from ABS/non-ABS)
    R33 axles
    S14 non-turbo hub carrier
    S14 non-turbo hubs
    S14 non-turbo brakes

That way you won't need to change your handbrake over to the R33 drum handbrake and you won't have to find 5 stud wheels straight away. The spline on the R33 axles will fit the S14 non-turbo hubs (the only one that don't are GTR hubs which are a larger diameter)

Still buy the R33 rear hubs, hub carriers, brakes and handbrake mechanism + cables so you can upgrade later on

Good old Nissan Lego :)

8. Walrus_Pit

Walrus_Pit New Member

Awesome! I will do just that. Thanks a ton for the assistance!

9. BenRice

No problem

Hint for making the swap easier: unbolt the rear calipers from the hub carrier but keep them attached to the brake hose. Cable tie them up into the wheel well somewhere. That way you don't need to bleed the brakes once you've done the subframe switcharoo