SANTA POD IMPROVEMENT - Version II page 9

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by mitto, Feb 21, 2011.

?

SANTA POD MEIHAN - do you want it?

1. YES - I'd like a greater challenge

86.3%
  2. NO - I don't like the idea of change

13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NORFY

NORFY Active Member

looks pretty cool, possibly worthwhile them trial running it?

also the track layout looks similar to jdm wembley 2008, which isnt a bad thing especially if theres a wall ;)

2. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

so what you actually want is a 2 miles square airfield with a few lines painted in the middle? Would you like wet marble to drift on too so you dont hurt your tyres?

Yeah, basically it is, unless you run it in reverse, then its a left hander :wack:

We involved changing down from 3rd to 2nd, wand and footbrake all together, whilst blipping the throttle if you want extra cool points. basically, it's and challenging as drifting can be, without having to enter a course flat out in 4th.

Fire hazzard.

The best thing is just to pile a load of tyres in the right hand corner of the wall. the reality of hitting that in 2nd / 3rd on lock is that you'll snap out of drift a bit and maybe tuck the front in. you are actually not very likely not do anything more that get some scratches and snap a tie rod / wheel.

3. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

Sounds good to me, would make a nice change and give people a more track like feel.. The wall wouldn't be an issue, imho, as there's more than enough track to drift that you wouldn't have to drift that part if you didn't want to. Theres concrete blocks on the top track anyway?

Would defo make me want to head to pod more. Plus with more places like norfolk arena popping up. Beginners have plenty of places to drift.

4. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

Looks fucking awesome, do it!!!!

5. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

But if you put 2 lanes in it will have to be double fenced between the pen and the entry way as a designated walkway to toilets, forget drift think health and safety.

The easiest way to prove it right or wrong is come down Wednesday we'll get the measureing wheel and then you can decide whether it makes sense.

6. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

Lol, youve used only half of pod! All of that can be track, the tyre support, pits etc can go where they have been for the last year down by the Cafe-Drag start. I love the optomistic spectator spots too.

Other than that, its more or less the same as it is now but narrower. I agree that it would be nice to have a change, but it still takes more than most can manage to hook up the current course :)

7. mitto

THIS!!! :thumbs:

8. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

If you filled a day with experts, it means everybody would crowd the top track. You need places like the kidney track for people to work up to the big track, and to keep the numbers distributed across the kidney, playpen etc.

9. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

You got me vote, and support. Lexy baby - You know I'll help with the layout so go for it!!!

EDIT: Could we not do away with 2 of the playpens, put them together to make a kidney? That way you will have the pens to donut control in, kidney for transistions then the Uber track for advanced?

Plus loving the idea of "The Wall", bumper scrapeing FTW!

#29 Flipfoot, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  10. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

Out of curiousity when did you go to Pod and what car were you driving?

Did you go to the briefing by Lex the originator? He tells you there are play pens, a kidney and a top track. Locate them and you'll find a queue of cars waiting to go in them, join the end! :thumbs: Track wasn't maintained, in the kidney drivers are expected to put the cones back when they've hit them, some can't be arsed unfortunately. :wack: Safer? There are two layers of fencing, concrete blocks to protect the buildings, drivers are advised to wear a helmet, what more can be done? More rules probably means more enforcement of the existing rules when people are twats! :smash:

As far as Squirrel's comment about foam is concerned, check the price on ebay for 1m x 1m x 3m blocks of foam. With oil prices being what they are the price of foam has rocketed. Regarding 'the wall', bear in mind that the area used for drifting is also used as a pit area for FIA drag racing events and used at modified car shows so a wall can't be permanent hence why Pod uses movable concrete blocks. The course is smaller and slower than the existing one and is kinda like a big kidney TBH.

I would like to see occasional layout changes rather than something like what has been proposed. A spectator area near the back of the toilets to allow viewing of the whole top track would be great.

Ian. :D

11. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

People like Mitto going "YEAH MATE, BIG FAST TRACK, WHOOPA! RUN THE WALL" tend to not consider the commercial implications of it.
    In reality, the beauty of Santapod is that it's accessible to people with different skill levels and the existing tracks are designed to cater for novices and keep some more advanced people entertained (which covers about 99% of the UK drifting audience). Your track design is aimed at “The Elite” people who are experienced and highly competent drifters, of which there are a handful in Europe. They are also the people least likely to pay to use the course regularly.
    Due to the layout, it's a health and safety nightmare. High speeds, no runoff and generally dangerous when you consider that you’re going to let people (irrespective of skill level) out on the track.
    I’m all for challenging tracks and pushing forward drifting. But having been involved with Pod since we took drifting there in 2005, I think this sort of course is very risky.
    Think about all the venue’s we have lost over the years. We are really lucky to have Pod and it’s really cool the way it is.
    Anybody who looks at this course needs to ask themselves if they feel they could drive that competently.
    But that’s just my opinion
    Your poll options are ridiculous as well by the way.

12. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

having only been once in a wank hachi, i cant really comment on the current setup

but idea of huge "fuckkkk yoouuu" entries with a wall to run looks awesome on paper. so gets my vote

as for the "health and safety" thoughts to a wall being dangerous, pretty sure theres already a rather large one on the current setup thats taken a few casulties so shouldnt really make a difference

13. mitto

Since you are there a lot more than i am, rather than moan about how i got it wrong, get off your arse and do something yourself.

14. Flipfoot

Flipfoot 三日坊主

[​IMG]

What about something along these lines? Obviously it will need tweaking to fit into the space at Pod.

15. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Considering Pod is popular as people think its 'safe' and most people are too trashed of Mallory etc as they are worried about doing damage, and considering even though people consider it safe plenty of people smash their cars up good and proper at the Pod, I think this is a bad idea and would scare people off.

16. Nick Sheen

Nick Sheen Box Assassin

i think your poll is one sided so this whole thread is kind of pointless.

well done Mat.

17. mitto

you don't even drive, therefore, you are pointless. toche :)

18. Sticklin

Sticklin Member

100% yes.

If you dont want to get close to a wall, albeit friendly, then dont drift the one corner that is likely for you to make a mistake and go into it. Drift the numerous other corners...

I also think that painting lines for the course would be a good idea, so that when people knock cones they are put back in exactly the right spot, which will help with when your trying to consistantly hit certain lines.

People have said that they like drifting in a massive area with nothing to hit, I think this is a bit rubbish, which is why im a big yes for the long friendly wall. I like challenging myself and getting as close to the railings as possible at POD (yes i did end up going through them) for me thats where the excitement is.

So by the looks of it, the track designed has something for all needs.

people rave about wall scrape videos on here, now its your chance to become a complete hero :wack: haha.

Rob

19. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

I like the idea of incorporating a wall to run but think it might be better on the outside of a bend rather than the straight for people to arse-drag along. It would also give the less confident an inside line to choose and feel like they're getting to play on more than half the layout.

Good call though Matt, I agree it's definately due for a bit of a change.

20. the stig

the stig Active Member

ah mitto surely you can come up with a better track than that!!!

stop slacking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIG lovins :D:p:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.