SANTA POD IMPROVEMENT - Version II page 9

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by mitto, Feb 21, 2011.

?

SANTA POD MEIHAN - do you want it?

1. YES - I'd like a greater challenge

86.3%
  2. NO - I don't like the idea of change

13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrNick

MrNick I love Ibiza!

what we should do is make the wall out of old shiiters....that way we can line them up bumper to bumper and move them accordingly and then after use we simply park them in the farmers field that we have access to....and for an added bonus you could sit in the cars/wall/armco and have a cracking view of mitto crashing and for starters we already have Ian Blackett AKA Stackitts car to start the wall off...anymore donors ???

sams volvo
    georges s13

i estimate we need about 10 cars !!!

lol

#501 MrNick, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

3 of your shitters too, well donated mate :D :smash:

3. C1arke

C1arke Member

the track needs changing caus it just wears tyres on 1 side. i like the first track idear

4. Dirrt

Dirrt Delusional Drifters

I don't get why you'd want to make Santa Pod a track.
    I thought Santa Pod appealed to learners because of the big open space and low crash risk?

I'm shocked that 140 people voted they wanted a greater challenge.
    Why do none of you drift anywhere else in the uk on a track?
    Let the drift see the track :)

5. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Why's he changed his name from Blackett to Stackett?

6. Paster

Paster ....

7. chunk

chunk Raging Alcoholic

Same reason you should change yours to 'Toucher'

As he Stacked it and you touch.

Simples

BTW, I agree with Mitto in some facts, but only a VERY low percentage of the drivers that go to pod could consectutively run a wall safely. Also pod won't do it as many of said due to cost, use of space, man hours to lay out extra cones/safety items...yadda........yadda and so on.

On a personal level, i want fast 100mph+ entries, like Mallory, no small, slow technical tracks, thats just what i want. Yes, pod 'could' change the layout to a faster track, remember the Pazza mental entry day?? Loads of interest, only Steve Carter, Dylan and me were really going for it, one day everyone will stick to there word and the UK drifting scene will be awesome!!

8. MJG

MJG Active Member

Spot on dude.

People talk a good game but even at arenas, only a handful of people ever rub the wall. So by what I know of Santa pod regulars, if there was a wall there'd be a lot of written off hovercrafts with the handbrake still wedged on and a little turd in their sticker-covered bride bucket seat.

Leave Santa pod for people who WANT a bunch of cones in a carpark, or those who don't want to damage their drifters. And if you want a challenge go to mallory, Teesside, any arena, blyton, wherever.

9. mazdachris

That's the thing isn't it. For almost everyone who goes to Pod, walls would be nothing more than an obstacle to avoid. And added element of danger and an increased risk of smashing up your car. Who does it benefit? 1 or 2 people who by their own admission never go anyway? Even if 150 odd people have voted yes to the poll, and even if we assume they voted because they were specifically in favour of walls, how many of them would actually ever go? That's the trouble with the internet. It's full of people just talking shit the whole time. Same reason why every time you put something up for sale you get a hundred people all saying how awesome the thing is that you're selling, and that they'd definitely buy it if it weren't for (insert bullshit excuse du jour here).

It's easy to follow the crowd and act the big man, saying that you're a pussy if you don't want 100 foot tall solid concrete walls lined with spikes, and flaming lava pits either side of the track, but when it comes to actually going through with it, all you'll get is lame excuses from the keyboard warriors.

Pod is really successful specifically for the fact that anyone of any skill level can go there and have a good day skidding their car in the knowledge that it's a safe and secure environment where their mistakes won't (usually) be punished by smashing up the car they've spent months meticulously stripping out and painting satin black. Yeah it might not have the appeal for the pros of a top level track, but there are plenty of places which are.

10. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Welcome to 3 days ago, when I said the same thing.
    http://www.driftworks.com/forum/1712513-post466.html

This threads like a circle. Where's Stackitt?

11. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

My dream too, but not going to happen!
    Ever
    English people are too English for there own good.
    Why not one 'Extreme wall scrape' day a year for the 15 people who are willing to risk there cars?
    I'm fully in, and I'm sure I can get the Spleen together for death spec team entries!!
    If this happens awesome!
    We can call it Santa Sportsland!!

12. Lex

Lex www.dwyb.co.uk

Hi everybody :wave:

Ive let the thread go on to get a much feedback from the drivers who support DWYB as possible

You guys had an answer from pod as to why some of the requests were not practical on page 7 but chose to ignore it and just carried on spamming

There is a certain irony that many of you were posting and bitching whilst we are actually at DWYB drifting

It is a bit naive for many of you to think that i have not discussed many of the points raised with pod management in the past.

Yes i have asked many a time if they would build up a drift specific track the answer is that currently drifting does not generate enough revenue to justify the expense - if in the future that change it is something they would consider

The biggest thing that pod has going for it is the support of the local council. This is the reason that like so many other venues it has not been shut down after a few events and is still going strong many yrs later.

The behaviour of a handful of drifter who dump dead tyres in the surrounding area and drive like twats past schools nearby could bring drifting at pod to an end

Some feedback to a couple of themes from the thread:

Concrete Wall
    - there are currently 2 walls at Pod. One near the toilet block and a longer wall along top of the EDC track. Despite Jap tracks having long walls driver only scrape a small section about the size of the concrete blocks we have. If you want to wall rub do it.

Tyres wall
    – have also been discussed in the past. The council see them as an environmental health issue so non starter. Sorry.

Cones – i have been thinking so a while about a better way to lay out the cones. The simple solution is to use less cones which is on my agenda.

Potholes – these got filled in last year. Drift abuse has brought some back. They will get filled in again.

Marshalls - these are volunteers who give up thier free time to stand around ensuring you have a fun day. Sometimes they let me down and dont turn up so dont have as many as i planned. When this happnes we all just club together and do out best to put on a fun day.

Pod makes loads from driftin
    g - No it does not. In fact some days are run at a loss. Even if only 15 people turn up pod refuse to cancel an event they have listed as they realise people have to sacrifice days of work and prep time to get to an event. The costs of prepping the area before and after the events are the same if 15 or 50 people attend. On top of this from when we 1st started DWYB i got them to agree to offer people a credit if they booked but could not make it for whatever reason. Which im sure you will agree is very reasonable of them

Bottom line will keep to do out best to make DWYB a fun day for as many people as possible really cant please everyone but on the whole do feel the greater percentage of people who attend have fun and feel its a value for money day out.

13. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

thread cleared of both mine and George's shite. Please continue on topic. My bad.

14. MJG

MJG Active Member

Well said Lex. Pod is what it is and it fills that block of the Market well. I think the problem is that people get institutionalised with pod, it's usual crowd, and the bumming within the venue, and forget that the drift scene doesn't all revolve around pod.

If you want more of a challenge, then go elsewhere. Simple really.

Mitto, japan does seem to have better tracks, but if you want to build one here I reckon you're looking at the wrong venue. Good luck saving the UK drift scene though.

15. docwra

docwra Active Member

You mean you dont just sit their rubbing your hands and laughing maniacally as 10 and 20 pound notes fall like snow around you?? :D

I think this is one thing certainly that someone who is new to the scene is going to miss through this thread - due to the efforts of Lex and the marshalls, the Pod days have been regular for 3? years now with a good proportion of the guys that are good enough to run a wall having learnt their skills there, I know along with Lydd its where I cut my teeth.

The fact that its pretty much the only reliable drift day weve had over the past few years and that even now its still popular says a lot for me. Well done guys, keep up the good work. :thumbs:

16. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

I'm relatively new to the drift scene but not motorsport events, I think Lex and the team at the Pod do a great job and the venue has obviously encouraged lots of people to have a go at drifting, some obviously come and go but a large majority continue to enjoy it and now increase the numbers at other venues around the country allowing them to grow there numbers and hopefully this trend will continue.

There is a lack of venues for the more experienced drifters, we all know that, the problem is that those who compete in BDC, JDM etc. put all the funds into the comp rounds and this does not leave any spare for doing practice days, from my own point of view, at Mallory we offered pro only days last year but the concensus from the pro drivers was that they could not afford the costs in tyres etc. to use this facility on a regular basis which I understand.

As Mitto said there is a need for something else but I personally think it would only be for a small number of drifters and I think it should be at a seperate venue or booked as a specific day at Pod/Donington etc.

DWYB is successfull and long may it remain.

I am quite happy to help organise a day at a suitable venue, if and only if we get a sufficient number of interested parties who want to take part. I don't mean a thread with 40 names on it I mean a list of people who have paid to do it.

For instance a private hire of say the launch pad at Donington, with insurance is going to be in the region of £2k for a weekday, then the wall hire and transport costs along with sweeper hire to clear up after us.

Without costing it properly I would say the day is going to cost in the region of £3500. It would probably be slightly cheaper at Pod but not by a great deal.

To make it cost effective you would be looking at probably 25-30 drivers paying slightly over £100 to attend.

17. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

18. driftnut

driftnut Member

I did vote (NO - I don't like the idea of change)
    Due to having only made it there once recently and really can't wait to go back (dispite it being a fair ol drive) I found it extremely good for a first timer and more friendly than I could have imagined, so would be happy to go back time and time again and encourage friends to get of the streets and get down to Pod!

As for people being stupid around the venue (witnessed by myself many times) - this would be the main reason for the local council shutting this place up, and I doubt they would think twice before doing so.

19. Simons13

Simons13 Member

The things that are quite hard to apprecitate from google maps is the fact the space really is not that big, some of the designs with the track looping back on itself will be so slow and tight.

My opinion on this has changed somewhat since the last time I went to Pod on the 23/02/11. The general layout has changed since last year with a much longer 3rd gear corner then Ian axed the slalom section and changed this into one massive 3rd gear corner.

SOobasically the track set up they were running was all 3rd gear apart from the start finish corner......It was AWESOME so realy dont think as much work needs to go into this as it may seem. Few more permanent markings would be nice and a few of the potholes filled in......SORTED!!!!!!!

20. satin liner32

satin liner32 Member

dwyb rocks long may it remain top man lex keep up the good work cause the majority of people on this forum really enjoy it (the ones that actually go to pod and use it) not the ones who dont and just sit their on the computer saying id go if it was different when probably after all is said and done wouldnt.:thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.