SANTA POD IMPROVEMENT - Version II page 9

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by mitto, Feb 21, 2011.

?

SANTA POD MEIHAN - do you want it?

1. YES - I'd like a greater challenge

86.3%
  2. NO - I don't like the idea of change

13.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

Yes, better exposure and safer enviroments for spectators a bad thing :rolleyes:

i absolutely agree with you there.

Actually no, the design cater's to all levels. You don't have to run the wall, just as at brimginham wheels you dont have to leave marks on the armco. cars have taken BIG impacts at pod already, since the concrete they have is placed in a rather silly manner.

more so than a shitty railing with no exclusion zone and a few hundred people stood behind it? I think you will notice i have included an exclusion zone behind the concrete too... i do have a "little" experience with this, having gone through all the logistics with JDM Allstars and the Wembley events. I'm sure the red tape govering those events is about the same.

Clearly you are not. whens the last time you paid to drift at pod? or even attended for that matter?

I know firsthand about venues! Yes we are lucky for Pod, but why should we be taken for granted? The poll simply asks, do you or do you not want change, the specifics of that can be posted in the thread.

2. Skiddly Diddly

Skiddly Diddly Rehabilitated

Did you get that from Blackett's radio controlled drifter manual?

3. mazdachris

I think any good layout would be able to accomodate drivers of all different skill levels, and also cater for drivers with different types of cars. Any new layout should keep this in mind. That does look like a neat layout, though access would probably make it impractical. I'd also be a little worried that in the more technical section you've got the possibility of cars effectively heading towards each other. Might be a bit of an issue if one spins and another understeers or whatever, and suddenly you have an almighty crash.

Basically, if you can imagine something going wrong, or people messing up, they will do it. Inevitably.

4. NIcad7

NIcad7 DRIFT*DIVISION

I think its a good idea, Pod is great but the majority of people have sussed the large track by the end of the day :nod:

The prospect of having a track that can be worked on over a few drift days to get right appeals to me. Also I think we really do need to up our game in the UK but there is little opportunity to practise this :(

I would also really like to see something where entries can be practised at the pod. IMO this is one of the hardest things to get right with drifting :D

What happeded to the whole seperate beginner and advanced drift days anyways? They are just mixed into one now days with no specific days? :confused:

5. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle In Safe Hands

MaaaaaaaaaAaaaammmmm, Bizzle didn't agree with my crayola drift track drawing on the..the..the...internetzz...<sob>

6. lozza

lozza ChickFoot FTW!

I see what Bizzle is saying about keeping it commercial but to be honest i think this still caters for reasonably new people, yeah the long corner looks a bit scary but the rest of it is almost the same as now just a bit more technical, if you cant do that then you should stay in the play pen.

Also i think a lot of you 'old drifters' forget about Norfolk Arena!! Maybe because you havent been there, but this place is perfect for beginners and people advancing to 'top track' skill.

Total beginner... Go to pod.. do donuts, figure of 8's, kidney track.
    Second day... Go to Norfolk... do a slightly bigger kidney track which pushes you a bit more
    Third day (maybe) ... Go back to pod and get yourself on the big track, start in the middle bits and then work your way up to the long corner.

Personally if i was a new person... this is the way i'd go. People expect to be able to go from donuts to third gear skids in one day now and thats probably why there's so many big headed wankers who think they're better than they are lol :D

p.s. that wasnt a rant lol just showing my opinion

7. ross86

ross86 Active Member

im still laughing at the "area for drivers without talent :)" bit lol :wack:

it looks a good idea but your problem is always going to be about the top track appealing to all levels esecially as the top track is a good but not rediculous "step up" to the other areas and more basic drift days availible.

the current track allows for progression a mixture of lines blaa blaa all stuff im sure your aware of but will obviously be the things mentioned as im sure im echoing everyone on this thread.

kewl idea tho man :thumbs::smokin:

8. mitto

i think seprate days don't make a lot of sense really. different track sessions maybe, i believe it's beneficial to advanced drifters there with the learners as it provides a greatly opportunity to learn and physically experience what cars are capable of. That helped me a lot as i improved, getting in with JC, Julian etc and just feeling what thier cars were doing.

I also think the mentality needs to change. At pod, i see people go round and round without taking a pauses to consider where there are doing well or letting themselves down. thats no use to anyone.

9. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

Yes it can be improved...

Mitto is never wrong or open to other ideas...

Why do we have to copy Japan?!

And the current 'backwards' Layout it pretty good these days to be fair

10. mitto

instead of attempting to be funny, do something! always telling people how they are doing something wrong and never doing anything to change it.

I don't mind taking shit for opening my mouth, as long as it helps things progess and improve. you clearly have nothing better to do than whine like a little girl.

i'd expect oldschoolers like you to want this type of thing... but then, you don't drift anymore and your shit anyway :)

11. Crosshatch

Crosshatch Night-Walkers

Love it, whilst I haven't driven in some time, the main reason I didn't use Santa pod to practice was due to the course being a little too easy to really challenge and push me.

I would definetly use Santa pod regularly with that course.

12. Jme

Jme Member

think also we need something better than cones. it just looks like dicking about in a car park in all the pics we put up of a day at pod. cant we get some sort of red and white curb like things??

13. mitto

why divert from what i actually asked you? put the effort in, design a layout and make suggestions. not just waffle about me having been to Japan as an excuse for your shortfalls.

Kinda annoying when you know i go out of my way to give you advise and help you out whenever you ask!

14. -jamie-

-jamie- StrongFlex UK

deffo needs some improvement, the course is well out of date, the que system is just waiting for someone to spin and go flying into everyone

15. Simons13

Simons13 Member

All practical issues aside I realy like this idea. Would be nice to have a fresh layout and I like the look of Mitto's design....GOOD WORK...I vote YES!!!!

16. Lex

Lex www.dwyb.co.uk

1st loads of feedback

My trip to japan really opened up how far behind we are mainly from a perspective of lack of twinning skills.

But the track you have done is basically the layout from 2008 and does not use as much of the area as we currently do :confused:

Not really im all up for any ideas to ensure people can have more fun :nod:

LULZ that you described pretty much exactly how its currently layed out. Dont think you have been back since we evolved as you have probably been having too much fun competing.

Tired that but evolved to the current format to ensure there is something for everyone.

Happy to put Matthew on the list if he wants to do so.

QFT :nod:

No becuase to be commercially viable we have to appeal to any many drifters are possible

Tried a spastic entry day and in usal uk drifter style everyone said 'yeah im there ' but only a few turned up :rolleyes:

As i have oulined the days have been merged to make them commercially viable.

That course is slower than the current course. it does not have the 200m run up we use to build up speed, flick it past the wall and then upshift to 3rd or 4th of you have booooost or the long left hander :D

17. insane 200

insane 200 Jonin Level Drifter

Pod backwards layout is a good compromise for all skill levels.
    Mitto's layout looks fun but as cool as wall scraping looks it is just pointless damage and we ain't all driving missiles.
    If people want to up there skills then go to mallory where you can practise initiations since this is where most drivers suffer. Not enough Entry practise.

18. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

What was asked?

You designed a smaller, slower, tighter circuit than the one currently used and suggested it to be better.

I said I like the idea of new ideas but this one doesnt really make sense.

Rather than make up one using the full space available, you copied a smaller track from Japan and filled in potential track space for an original design with pointless people, access roads and pits... hence my usual jovial Japan comment

And yeah, I appreciate internet Mitto isnt reall Mitto and I like real Mitto, but then having a go at people beacuse you are better etc is a really poor arguement. Ive never been to Japan, done most of my practise at pod, never skidded on new tyres and still did better than you in a much worse car in JDM last year. I dont bring that up in every argument! Pointless, self ego shite imo as I dont really see it like that. I know you will counter that you didnt enter to compete, but thats just silly.

Anyway! Back to niceness:D
    Yes and new pod layout would be good! but

The current track has evolved well to suit all level of skill that go to DWYB and it is the current shape for that reason.

Making a smaller track with a wall to make you happy is just daft :wack:

I love you really you :euge:

19. Lex

Lex www.dwyb.co.uk

Please keep the feedback coming

I really want to evolve DWYB into what you guys want :dw:

I'm disappointed to hear that.

When did you attend ? Who did the briefing ?

We change little bits of the course practically every time. Recently we have been running the track backwards and most people seem to enjoy it.

20. hosmob

hosmob Active Member

Keep up the good work Lex, it works for the majority and that is all you can hope to achieve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.