Scottish Drift Noob

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Ditchfinder101, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Ditchfinder101

Ditchfinder101 New Member

Couldnt find an intorduce yourself section so hopefully this is in the right place.

Completley new to drifting only experience is with FWD and AWD - Going to be able to get a 3rd car soon and hoping to get a BMW E36/E46 or an MX5 not looking to spend a fortune on the car as I will end up pranging it I know this already :) Might put a wanted add up at some point.

Am located in Fife hoping to get myself to Driftland a few times in the future and get a general feel.

Will update once I actually have a car and then the questions will most probably begin.

2. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Hey mate, Welcome. You couldn't be located in a better place for wanting to get into drifting with Driftland on your doorstep.
    The next event at Driftland is GarageFuckHouse's Street Legal series. Should be a good watch with loads of Street Legal cars battling for cash!

For picking up a car of your own I've done a couple of write ups for helping people in your exact situation which should cover the majority of your beginner questions.
    Part 1: Practice Car Setup. https://driveexciting.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/insurgent-diy-practice-car-setup/
    Part 2: Progression and Driving. https://driveexciting.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/insurgent-diy-progression/

These articles were written with the assistance of mates who have given me advice over the years. I know nothing should be concrete "you should do this" but i feel it should be a good guideline for anyone starting! - Hopefully see you at DL soon.

3. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

also avoid e46s... and avoid mx5s. just go for a 36 good all rounder to learn in. plenty oif spares even in fife where 90% of e36 skid cars are

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Pretty bad advice there, 46's are fine so long as it's not a rusty dog, and mx5's are probably the best car to learn in.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

46s are shite, ive driven enough of them to know that your better off in a 36. also a mx5 is such a boring little wanky car.

best thing to get is a e36 318ti, great fun little cars and to learn in.

6. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

Mx5's are fine as long as you have the right attitude to driving them and don't go straight out, fit a hydro and try and be Ryan Tureck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ditchfinder101

Guys thanks for the welcome, Those guides look excelent mate I will give them a few decent reads over time.

As for the car to go for I have done a fiar bit of reading on it but by no means in the no - E36 does seem to get the majority vote and if a 318ti is OK to learn in I might just look for one of them for insurance cheapness as well.

Nice to see some local guys as well im in Dunfermline to.

8. ShaunV90

ShaunV90 Active Member

I might have a wee E46 318 compact going muchos cheapness. Send me a PM and I can get more info to you.

9. Ditchfinder101

10. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

You may be better off in a 36 but a 46 is still fine for learning in. Nothing boring about mx5 skids as you have to be maximum attack everywhere.
    Mexys being driven are much more fun to watch than bms arse dragging everywhere.

Can't argue with getting a 318ti simple to modify, easy to get parts for. And don't have huge rear end grip standard so make your life fairly easy. I'd watch for 4pot e46 as they have a different rear end and lots more grip.

11. Gogzy

Gogzy Active Member

hence why ive said to avoid mx5s, your not gonna go bat shit crazy with one when you first start learning which in turn will piss you off and youll just get down hearted with the whole thing, an e46 is a pile of junk, too many computers etc hence why their still sort avoided like the plauge up here by most of us.

up until a few weeks ago i would said a 318ti isnt enough, then i had a shot of one at golspie, such funs and youll get the hang of drifting easy enough with it.
    bearing in mind i had just been takiung my m3 round the track and still had a huge smile when i came back in with the TI

12. Ditchfinder101

Thanks at least I have something to aim for now - Can see the E36 vs E46 is going to be the main thing.

Can see both points either way im going to be learning so it wont make to much of an issue what one it is but am assuming the E36 is going to be lighter but again I could strip the E46 to save some weight as well.

Andy just so im clear any 4 pot E46 has a different/worse rear end than say a 323 or 325 E46?

Appreciate all this feedback guys.

Edit - Quick question as well how do I tell a TI from any other 316 - Will it usually say something in the add?

#12 Ditchfinder101, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  13. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

An e36 318ti is a compact they have an e30 trailing arm rear but a 36 coupe, loon or touring have a proper subframe.

E46 318ti's have the same rear end as all 46's so have a lot more grip. So I would avoid a 4pot 46. 323 or 25 will do the job.

Plenty people skid 46's I have a 36 but can see past them to recommend other cars as the 36 is getting harder to find and generally more expensive.

14. Ditchfinder101

Thanks for clearing that one up - makes sense now.

I dont know much about any other cars apart from Hondas and Subarus.

E46 323 and 325 seem to be out there in the abundance so they might also be worth a shout depending on the deal at the time.

Just depends on what comes up at the right time for the right price.

15. Ditchfinder101

Work has been hectic so not had much of a chance to get much more done on this just now.

Going to putting more effort into car searching over the next couple of weeks and will be putting a wanted add up here.

Anyone know how to keep an eye out for the weekend drift days at Driftland? Im not on BookFace so dont have that easeness to check.

16. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

Just go on their facebook page and look at events can still access as a non user.

17. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

If you manage to find a fairly standard E46, I've got a set of brand new in box Maxspeedingrods coilovers here ^_^

Also, Driftland Events viewable here.

18. Ditchfinder101

Thanks for response guys will check them out hopefully get along one Saturday and see what im missing :)

I think it will be an E46 as E36s dont seem to be poping up much.

Out of cuiriousty do you guys have any rough values to on for what I should be paying? I dont want to go much higher than 700 if I can help it.

19. Andy318ti

Andy318ti Active Member

I spent £500, traveled to Chester as further south cars are usually much cleaner.
    Couple of nice 36 compacts on here but you'd have to travel for them.

20. Ditchfinder101

They do seem to get cleaner and cheaper the further down you go.

Not totally against traveling either just not something I have ever thought about doing before for a car