Scottish Independence

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by heard531, Sep 10, 2014.

?

Yes or No?

Poll closed Sep 17, 2014.
  1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Couldn't care less

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  4. Put an Sr20 in it!

17 vote(s)
    28.3%
  1. docwra

docwra Active Member

LOL at the irony of this, the fact is that at least you know wat the score will be in the cae of a No vote ........... or in other words are "informed" :D

Ive read the arguments and if it was me Id be sticking with what Ive got, the uncertainty about currency, economic and EU sides of things would concern me too much that they wouldnt get sorted out - for instance, as someone else has pointed out, adopting the pound without a currency union is economic suicide but thats been helpfully glazed over.

One thing I will say is that the Yes camp do seem to think that everything is going to be great overnight though - it wont, you still would have gone to war, you are still going to have to pay tax and youre probably going to find things get more difficult rather than easier as new policy is implemented.

One thing that greatly amuses me is this "but we will have our own politicians" .......... you already do have democratically elected politicians, you also have your own parliament and whats good for the UK is actually generally good for Scotland too, its not suddenly going to become milk and honey overnight.

Ive also noticed that the Yes camp are markedly more nasty in their comments and attitudes and a lot of the time less informed, but maybe thats just me.

2. jaggafeen

jaggafeen Member

looks like england will be in trouble is the scots choose independance and their own currency

3. tonigmr2

tonigmr2 Member

I think Scotland will be in more. What will happen? First, no currency union, just currency shadowing. Oh no BoE to back up their spending plans then. Also no BoE to back up their banks. So first, all big banks will move to the UK (RBS have already confirmed this). This is not a 'brass plaque' move, this is moving of economic might FROM Scotland to England.

Second, no BoE, no QE, interest rates must surely rise, and quickly. Big mortgage costs to Scottish buyers.
    Third, people will sell their homes because they can't afford the interest rates = housing price crash north of the border.
    Fourth, any bank that stays in Scotland will have no BoE and no Government bond for their deposits so their customers will be drawing out their money and depositing them in English banks = run on the banks.
    Five, new trading relationships with Europe and England. If you think they'll be on better terms than now you're on drugs.
    Six, University funding is not set, and neither is student funding. I refer to the end of point five.
    Seven, Norway is so great is it Mr Salmond? Have you seen what they pay for a pint and the tax demands made in Norway? If you want to pay a tenner a pint and 45% tax Scotland knock yourselves out.
    Eight, we won't close Faslane. Really? Try again. And don't make me laugh about a 'Scottish Navy' or armed force of any description, you guys understand critical mass right?
    Nine. Scotland will also loose input onto the world stage, which you enjoy via the UK. Like it or not, the UK punches far above it's weight. Scotland will become the equivalent of a nobody, sorry.
    Ten. Nationalist pride does not an economy make. I also don't understand the need for 'control' and 'local representation'. If you feel you've not got that, perhaps your politicians aren't working for you enough. Same ones will be in charge, good luck with that!

4. docwra

docwra Active Member

Amen brother, amen. Im all for freedom of choice but the above is spot on, its basic economics but no-one seems to be able to see it.

And Norway is great if you were born there, but nobody emigrates there, ever. Wonder why that is when its so great..........? :wack:

5. Jites

Jites Active Member

I have a stockpile of whisky and oatcakes. whatever happens my life is sorted.

6. Struggle

Struggle Active Member

i'd be looking into what effect this could have on flights from scotland mate. (not that it will, but i'd take a look just incase)

7. Joe-sef

Joe-sef -Broseph-

Tomigmr2 - cracking post.

Just saying all that happens, who are Scotland going to turn to - Russia.

They will be oily pals, next thing Russia will be using all the military bases and navy in exchange for propping the country up. And then everyone is fucked. Germany own everyone in the eu. Basically world war 3 is going in right now. But with economies, apart from Russia who still go old school backed up by oil

8. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Their economy isn't that strong either tho, just look at how things have gone on recently.

A few minor sanctions to get their attention and the rouble has shot down.
    They then further fuck the situation up by imposing their own moronic sanctions and in turn further distance themselves from the Eastern European countries they do so much business with.

Half of Europe is now looking for alternatives to Russian sourced materials, they've made a complete fucking mess of things this year and it will hurt them for a long time to come.

9. Gnarkill102

Gnarkill102 Member

Scotsman and a Yes ... no Brainer

Westminster has lied , cheated and claimed expense on the British taxman for long enough , scotland has never recovered mentally, economically or politically since thatcher-ism and unfortunately we see it happening all over again with Cameron's policies.

Nothing against England wales or Ni , nothing against any of the citizens , Not un grateful or a nationalist , but face it the empire is long dead , Great Britain is no longer "Great" ... it was a good party while it lasted but i think its last orders , the bells rung time to go our separate ways

And no you guys wont need to pass a "Border control" to come to Driftland ! =]

There seems to be a lot of "There is no plan" Quotes from people are we forgetting why there is no plan ? Because Cameron and Westminster refuse to negotiate on any terms even in the "If" scenario Scotland voted yes so the only uncertainty is a direct result of Westminster refusal to even play ball. We also have the best part of 2 years negotiation period upon a yes vote in which London will just have to play ball now.

About the oil drying up as well , not only is there around 50 years at a conservative estimate , using only the fields we know about , even IF it dried up tomorrow , luckily we have a plethora of other exports , renewable energy and industry.

Where as London almost solely relies on financial services .... seemingly relying on a guy in an office trading numbers is less volatile than a material object you can sell...

I believe its risky either way independence or not but even if we make mistakes at least they will be ours to make.

#49 Gnarkill102, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  10. zornyan

zornyan Member

Did you watch the news today? There really isn't that much oil there apparently. There was a Scottish chap that was in charge of investigating the oil or something or other. And he turned round to say basically that there's really not that much oil there and it is in no way shape or form something the people of Scotland should be relying on.

Yes there is a good chance that there will be border controls and a passport required to enter Scotland.

Not to mention all the banks are going to fuck off down here, oh and the fact that there's a good chance your country couldn't even qualify for Europe....yeah seems great :)

11. smokindrifter

smokindrifter Member

If they asked for a vote in England if Scotland should become independent the vote would be a defo yes I reckon

12. jaggafeen

jaggafeen Member

so much propoganda in the news from the no camp

13. danfst

danfst Member

The English should be able to vote, or just the people from Edinburgh. They seem to be the only people smart enough to have the responsibility.

In all seriousness, it would piss me off so much if Scotland became independent. I was born and raised in that country and to see it go to shit because people have seen Braveheart. It would genuinely upset me.

14. danfst

danfst Member

We would't have to play ball with you, your Independence would still be on our terms. If your lucky you may get the debt you owe Gb per head, instead of GDP.

The oil may or may not be drying up, but all your banks will leave if you claim independence. Pensions will be risked etc.

Is it really that bad being part of the UK?

15. Jites

Jites Active Member

come at me bro
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. rd-jon

rd-jon Member

I think you will find they will have to pass border control. There will be a formal border, so border control will be necessary to ensure the security of a sovereign nation.

17. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

I've voted Yes, because like allot of people I've decided to make my mind up before knowing any of the facts :D

18. Blackett

Blackett No Comment

If they have the chance I believe they should go. The whole world is f*cked up, the UK is f*cked up at least they can be in charge of f*cking everything up themselves...

Ian. :)

19. rd-jon

rd-jon Member

hahahaha I think this is the best comment I've seen so far

20. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

seems everyone in Scotland is taking it mega seriously with strong opinions one way or the other, and quite rightly so it will definetly have a large effect to their lives.

In the nicest possible way though, i think a lot of people in Scotland forget that down here most of us dont really care either way to be honest! At the risk of sounding very arrogant, i cant think of anything important that Scotland provides the UK with, apart from Whiskey, our lives will no doubt carry on exactly the same as they were.