Scottyj's Mx5 daily/Drifter

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by scottyj, Oct 12, 2009.

1. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

the stickers were just to cover up scratches where a nice person hit me :) but yea i like them....

I can't see why not, it was dry by the end of the day and i was linking the whole track and mines a 1.8 with exhaust and filter.. just need alot of p.s.i in the rears and speed!

2. SIL-514

SIL-514 Member

not enough mx5s skidding, but seems when they do, its done well. Nice work :)

3. abbafan

abbafan New Member

heya i have a 1.6 mk1 and am saving up for some seat time - problem is i am from isle of wight so petrol/boat fares will double the price.

do you have to use the clutch at all when sliding or is it just using the avaliable power? and if u are using the clutch are you noticing any wear on it? in fact is it causing any wear at all on the car? respect for finding a sub 40,000 near classic roadster... and then ragging it lol

4. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

Back when I was competing in my 1.6 without a turbo I was clutch kicking enough to do a clutch in 3,000miles. This was bad. It was the only thing I was wearing out though. That and the tyres.

On a practice day you can play with the line you take to be as gentle or abusive of the car as you like. On tracks which suit the car (low speed, or shorter corners) I wasn't using the clutch at all.

5. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

Pretty much as capt said. I can't really tell about the wear on the clutch but I've done two days at norfolk without it breaking..

Obviously you'll add to the wear and tear of bushes etc. But it should be too bad. Oil changes are needed as I'm yet to have a oil cooler, so the oil over heats a bit and looses it quality.

You can controll how much you need the clutch and I'm sure you'll get away with the odd drift day, I only clutch kick once a lap max at norfolk to get the car sliding out of the slower corner, most of the time I just use the speed and weight to get the car sideways...

6. ollie_247

ollie_247 Member

The days I’ve done Car control more than anything else and 5 track days last year think I’ve done a mega expensive mx5 Diff

Mazda wanted 2500 for a new so I ran off bought a second hand one and will fit it when I have time and then open up the one I’ve broken to see what I’ve done. since it looks like I’m the only person in the uk to kill 6speed sports Diff(tochigi-fuji LSD) (some one said they were strong )

havent done a clutch yet but i dont clutch kick too much

7. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

LSD? My welded diff has done 6 years of competitions and practice days, at least :wack:

8. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

Yea if imy diff ever breaks ill get a welder for sure, my standard diff locks nice for now though

9. ollie_247

ollie_247 Member

LSD its my road going car as well there no way id have a weld diff / this one a bit to posh and new to get weld diff

#49 ollie_247, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  10. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

No real updates on this as im skint :(

Fitted a central locking kit today as i wanted to fit a clifford alarm which i have sitting waiting for me to be brave enough to fit. ..

Starting to think i may not turbo this now and sell it at the end of the year for a s body or something cheaper thats closer to being up to spec... the price list to get this to a decent comp spec is silly :(

11. abbafan

abbafan New Member

saw you might think about selling it and I have been thinking about changing my MX5 for one not as nice (well, not so much nice, just tarty) so I wouldnt feel guilty about ragging it around a track... I dont think drifting with a wooden steering wheel would feel right lol

so i will pay attention to this thread!

12. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

fair enough... as it stands ill be keeping this for a while... the only thing that may change that is that i may need 2.5k very soon... if so it will be up for sale :( but otherwise ill be keeping it and skidding it at every opportunity.

13. Gunzi

Gunzi New Member

Great read! I'm thinking of a cheap MX-5 to learn in.

14. Clive

Clive Active Member

random question.....

what do you do about getting tyres in your mx5 for a drift day!!?

15. Captain Muppet

Captain Muppet Pro-tard

One in the boot, three on the passenger seat works for me.

With the boot lid open and everything secured with straps I can get 4 in the boot, and three on the passenger seat, but 4 tyres normally lasts as long as I need them to.

I've used my MX5 to carry four 17x8.5 wheels and slicks, but they were strapped all over the car, and I wouldn't have liked to do more than a couple of miles like that :wack:

16. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

Tbh most of the time I drag mates along to carry tyres or buy them there as I have the gf in the passenger seat.. And ones not much use.

I'm getting my mate to take my skid rims with some good tyres on them this month to norfolk and then ill buy more when I'm there if he won't take loads of muddy old tyres in his car...

Where there's a will there's a way.. I have considered a small trailor.. As there's not tow weight for mx5s its a bit of a grey area but a lil trailor would be perfect for 4 tyres and tools

17. Tennison

Tennison New Member

MX5 Eunos 1.6 Induction Kit! Hey guys, REALLY need an induction kit for my Eunos. Need all the piping too! Any help would be seriously appreciated!

18. scottyj

scottyj Active Member

I just wacked a hks mushroom filter on my afm lol, yea its not ideal and sits next to the mani, but some heat wrap will sort that soon hopefully :D

19. Rhythmeister

Rhythmeister New Member

That's a nice looking roadster, stunning wheels and the ducktail spoiler rocks! Same front bumper as mine and two other people I know with NAs :cool:

20. ollie_247

ollie_247 Member

sorry to hi jack you thread Scotty but i final bothered to change my tochigi-fuji LSD for another spare one i bought last year and id take a bit of the crown wheel so all its ok.

Come to silverstone with MOT on the 21st May !!!