Sierra steering more lock

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by robrs2, Sep 15, 2007.

1. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

Done some checking today.

I have a 2wd Cossie rack fitted since converting the car to RHD. This has a lot less lock that with the LHD Dohc rack.

I added 1/4" spacers to each end of the rack at the knuckle joint. This added some extra lock but still not enough.
    With one knuckle joint completly unscrewed and full lock on. The tyre would almost touch the chassis.
    Just a note here, my TCA's are extended by over 1/2" so standard TCA's would have the wheel touching the chassis.

So the rack needs to extend about 14cm out the end of the rack to get the full possible lock. As standard the 2wd Cossie rack olny extends 11.5cm. A 2.5cm adapter would need to be made to allow for this extra movment.

More checking and i found this.
    Measuring the rack it is 72cm long from joint to joint on the Cossie rack which is also the same as the Dohc and the 4x4 XR type racks.
    But the amount the rack extends is different.
    The Dohc extends 14cm. Just the amount that is needed.

DSC00243.

The 4x4 rack extends 13.5cm.

DSC00244.

One other thing is that if 4x4 track rod arms are used on the Dohc rack then you can gain an extra .5cm each side due to the knuckle joints being machined differently
    Dohc is machined flush to the end of the thread.

DSC00246.

The 4x4 ends and the 2wd cossie ones have a step machined on.

DSC00245.

So for the maximum lock use a Dohc power rack with the 4x4 or cossie tierod ends and to add more lock still spacers can be added between the rod end joint and the rack. Don't add too much as there is not a lot of threads the screw in.

All this will have your tyres munching lumps out of your chassis in no time :D

2. MJG

MJG Active Member

Nice one man, that's some good knowledge to have. Does the rack not run out of teeth? My e36 one could only be spacered about 4mm before the rack ran out of teeth :(

3. Dex

Dex kut!

i think mine has a granada one, supposed to be more?

4. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

Looks like about 30mm can be added to each side before the teeth run out. But by that time the rim will be halfway through the chassis :cry: :D

Dex the Granada rack measures the same as the Sierra one, can't find ant difference :confused:

5. Dex

Dex kut!

ah ok, dunno Cas told me lol

6. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

Well the one on my new / old donor Granada cossie seens to be the same as the Sierra one. But has more lock than the Sierra Cossie one i have fitted. And it new too.

7. sidewaysbill

sidewaysbill Member

if you use the granda arms at a guess id say it would widein your track allowing you more lock with out catchung on the chassis rail...!

8. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

They only give 10mm more movement when fitted to the sierra rack, they are also the same as the XR4x4, 2wd Cossie and 4x4 Cossie.

See above pics for the difference

9. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

A bit more info

Cossie 2wd rack at the top, Granada Cossie rack at the bottom. The big difference is the alloy seal block at the end of the 2wd cossie rack, limits the lock loads.

DSC00278.
    DSC00277.

More lock can be added with the spacer trick, but watch out for the wheel hitting the inner wing/chassis.

DSC00245copy.

This is what i gained by fitting the Granada rack.
    Before
    DSC00275.

After with the granada rack
    DSC00275a.

Before
    DSC00276.

After
    DSC00276a.

10. angrydan

angrydan raaage

u should by an 86, we have to much lock!!! lol
    wel good info dude, got a few mates wanna have a little skid in there fords and this info will help loads!!!
    threads like these we need to read and see

11. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

Been doing some more work on the sierra lock.

This is where i say do not try this at home, or do it at your own risk. As my sierra is only used on the track, i'm playing with the PAS rack.

All Sierra and Granada Steering racks on 2wd cars are the same basic design. There are only small differences in the construction. The Granada racks have the most travel, only 10mm or less then the Sierra ones.

As i have a spare 2wd Cossie one i have started work on that. The 2wd Cossie rack has a very limited movement. This is due to the shape of the ARB anf the Size and offset of the wheels.

Inside the PAS the rack/piston is the same for all of them sierra and Granada, ratio on the gearing may be different but the size is the same.

So the limits of the PAS racks is the distance between the ports on the main case of the rack (the pipes the fluid goes through).

The distance is 160mm max

DSC00494.

And this is the rack out of the PAS unit, As you can see the disc in the middle is the piston.

DSC00495.

So i started with a base measurement for the Cossie rack which has a reduce lock stop. This came out as 124mm plus 10mm inside Total 134mm movment.

DSC00498.

The lock stop on the cossie rack is the end locking block which holds the seals in.
    On the granada these are shorter, so more lock. But to get even more i cut some off. :wack:
    Standard top, cut bottom.

DSC00496.

Then refitted to the rack and checked it. Movement is now 138mm plus 10mm, total 148mm. Not much more than the Granada one.

DSC00499.

With 160mm available between the ports the next option is to a 15 to 20mm extention between the tie rod and the centre rack. This will need to be machined up. So for now thats it.

12. Corey_XR4I

Corey_XR4I XR4I 24V FTW

nice one rob, very good info :thumbs:

13. Hexham-Scotty

Hexham-Scotty skylinepart.com

Rob come up to the workshop and do the same investigation on Skyline stuff, I have tried all ways to get more lock on my 34 but have got to the point where the track rod ends go over centre and jamb stoping me getting back off lock so have to limit the travel, guess I am in to different hub (were the tre joins the hub) lengths, stumped now :wack:

14. robrs2

robrs2 Active Member

Easy Scotty. You need to move the point the trackrod end fixes onto the hub. Seen a lot of skylines and SX's going passed the return point for the steering, always the inside wheel of the turn. I have an idea for it but need to check to see what steering angle problems it may cause.