Silvia at Copart

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by rslut, Sep 6, 2014.

1. rslut

rslut Member

Nothing to do with me but thought it might be of interest to someone on here: Copart

2. Cades

Cades Member

I wouldn't pay 9 grand for a good one let alone a cat D

3. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

That's pre-accident value.

It's at 1150 at mo.

4. Cades

Cades Member

Ahh i misunderstood,not a bad price on reflection then ;)

5. status unknown

I think I know the previous owner.

6. rslut

rslut Member

Thought it might have been of interest to someone for the running gear.

7. antz

antz Active Member

Buying from Copart isn't bad but viewing is recommended. I bought my E36 from there and weirdly it was better than described but the interior was so filthy it was probably the cause of the ebola outbreak.

The volvo V40 I bought from there with "mechanical fault" turned out to be a blown engine and it was no where near as clean as the pictures showed plus they didn't mention the collapsed self leveling suspension and tired front suspension. I broke it for parts in the end because it wasn't worth saving.

The s15 could be a nice bargain for someone though if they are willing to put in the time, or missile it.

8. Joeh

Joeh Member

Bought a lot of cars in the past from copart to know that the majority will be far from what has been described, even when I call them up and ask for further details they will provide pretty much the same info unless you insist for them to physically check something in particular.

Found a few cars that I bought which only described as having body damage in fact had missing key components from the engine, the worst one I had so far had the following missing:

Turbo and manifold
    Injectors
    Camshafts
    Timing Chain
    Fuel Pump
    Intercooler Pipes
    MAF

Even though when I asked them to check the car before I bidded they said everything looked like it was there at the time however funnily enough there were no pictures on the auction of the engine bay hence why calling. (This was a far away auction and not worth driving up to check the car).

Had to go via the legal channels on that one, although I won Copart locked that account (I've got a new one since anyway). Just so you know, copart deal with legal disputes on a daily basis that they have their own dedicated legal department which shows you that they are a bunch of crooks.

So yes, like antz said - make sure you check what it is before buying it.

In addition the Silvia does not have an "engine run program" label on it, which means that the engine does not start or may have internal damage plus the front bumper is missing for a reason, more than likely they took it off as it must have had a front end damage as well and having it missing makes it look like the front is straight (which they do often). If you look at most of the featured auctions that are of high value cars, they will do exactly the same with the panels that are smashed so it looks like the car itself is not so bad as you won't be able to guess the force of the impact.

Also did you notice how the clutch pedal is stuck in?

I've come across many cars that looked perfectly straight but were smashed on their underbody (subframe/sump/gearbox etc distroyed) that didn't even have it mentioned or photographed on the description.

So by all means it might not even be worth touching for its running gear.

#8 Joeh, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  9. gaz_moose

gaz_moose .MTM.

they get smashed up bumpers/underneath as they move them around with forklifts.
    bit of sledge hammer and some overfenders and that will be straight back on the road.

what do they charge to have a copart account these days? kinda crap that you have to have an account if you only want to buy the odd thing.

#9 gaz_moose, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  10. yogi bear

yogi bear Active Member

The rear qtr and back panel would be prett costly to repair nicely. The bumper brackets look to be in shape as does the intercooler. They may have taken bumper off to get it on a transporter.
    Someone has had the strut brace off it.
    And yes, clutch pedal looks and odd one. Because let's face it, it's pretty likely it had to be running driving car at the time of the accident.

Would break for parts for pretty good money thojgh

11. status unknown

i know the previous owner of the car, and pretty sure he was hit by a motorbike.

12. antz

antz Active Member

Its £50 a year to join but as I found out, if you create an account and dont finish the registration process, they contact you ina months time and say "you havent finished creating your account so we will offer you this deal for £35" then I joined up. Saved myself £15.

As long as you remember its a salvage site and the cars are there for a reason, dont expect much then youll be alright. I would recommend viewing because I didnt and whilst I got lucky on one car and it was better than described, the other was far worse. Luckily I made profit on it when I broke it for spares so I wasnt bummed out about it but it was still a ballache to do.

13. Joeh

Joeh Member

That wasn't a discount.. All memberships expire exactly the same date every year, you had probably signed up passed the halfway point of the year therefore you really overpaid for what you got

14. antz

antz Active Member

Nope was just after the yearly subscription renewed itself which is why I chose to join and then thought "nah cant be arsed" but when I got an email a month later saying it was cheaper I took the offer.

Im from Yorkshire. I don't overpay for anything haha