SOARER V8 Race - Special Saloon build

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Trickysadd, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

Ok,
    So I am divorced :thumbs: and whilst she is still fighting for a slice of everything I earn for the next 100years :no: I have found a new workshop and home for my projects.
    It even has a lift and spary booth and I share it with a guy who runs a restoration buisness / welding operation.

SO THE THUNDER SOARER IS BACK ON !!!

RECAP -

It is a fully stripped shell with a full MSA welded in Cage and seat bars. Body has front and rear arches modded , overfenders at the rear and boxed at the front like a touring car. Side skirts and will run on full lock as low as you dare.
    Blended in and primered. Lightened bonnet skin with vents . 1 piece quick release front panel with air duct and vents.

The engine is in sitting on megan uprated mounts with a Supra 154 gearbox and paddle clutch with concentric bearing.
    Engine its self is std internally but all hoses are now aeroquip. Full braided hoses for the steering pump and cooler . oil cooler /remote filter etc etc .COLD AIR INTAKE AND CARBON AIRBOX
    big bore manifolds and y piece with Side exit 3" exhaust

Fluidyne Rad and twin fans
    New rack with rack spacers
    All suspension arms where possible are rosejointed.
    Race floor mounted pedal box
    carbon battery box
    carbon steering wheel
    Full stainless tank with twin lift pumps, sitec twin filters and bosch 044. All fuel lines braided and running length of car.
    Full megasquirt inginition and ECU all set up and tested my megasquirt guru. Megasquirt to Digidash interface.

Car sits on 9.5 by 18 Rotas and BTCC medium slicks. 2 spare dymag rims.Oh and HSD Coilovers.
    Brakes are std rear and Lexsu 4 pots front with drilled race discs

Interior of shell painted dark grey metallic..

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I have a full Race Tech digi dash and data logging system that I am going to fit. A new Sparco wrap around seat and boxes of bit sand bobs. New lightweight race battery , cables etc etc.

NOW !!

Pictures will follow ( once I work out how - never could upload them being old) but in the meantime if anyone is interested here is an update of where it is today and whats happened over the last month or so :

Finally got the prop measured and shortened and fitted with the Toyota front and back ends. It was an ex NASCAR prop that I eventually paid £250 for (sorry Chris) I then handed Propshaft services another £450 and ended up with a mm perfect propshaft to mate the R154 to the Soarer diff. Expensive but I should never need to worry about it again, whatever the power.

We have now fabricated a single silence side exit exhaust , let slightly into the floor to maximise ground clearance. Remains to be seen if it will be too noisy but who knows.
    New Race pedal box is in from OBP with remote resevoirs. New brake hoses etc done.
    The new wiring loom is all but finished and the plan is to install that over the next few weeks along with the megasquirt ECU which I have had tested and is all good. The Megasquirt is basic but still has its followers, especially with V8'S so I am going to see how it goes.

Bespoke Fuel system is all in and just needs a union made to connect to the fuel rail.
    The next important item is the plastic window to try and keep the interior dust free. I'm looking at plastics for performance , but may have a go at making my own to keep costs down.

Also nice to see that I can by the remaining suspension arm sthat I couldnt get previosly now via DW to fully rosejoint the suspension !

I know its not a drift car but hopefully when I can get a few pics up , it will be an inspitation ( or deterrant ! ) to other V8 soarer owners !!

Rich - It will live !!

#1 Trickysadd, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  2. smokindrifter

smokindrifter Member

Interested project will be good to follow and see the pics !

3. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Awesome, get some pics up pronto. Sounds almost identical to my V8 skyline spec wise. What you planning on racing it in? I'm aiming for BARC Sports & Saloons

4. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

I'm going to put some together this weekend over the bank holiday, so will upload Monday I hope !

I'm hoping it will be allowed in the CSCC special saloons next year. It just about fits as soarers are in the very ealy 90's era. Someone has just built a Toms castrol supra replica, and mine will be in full period Minolta livery. I know they never really raced but it fits the profile as a big V8 bruiser.
    I also like that series as there is a real cross section of cars and power outputs. Some space frame but some are all steel too like mine. 300bhp doesnt seem a lot but with all that torque and a much lighter Soarer, it should go ok to start off.

There are also a few cars that I remember watching in my childhood

The other series i sthe BRSCC Classic Thunder but apart from a couple of V8 Sierra's and a mega mony Austrailian Ford Falcon, there are a lot of ex time attack Evo's , Skyline s etc. Having watched a couple of very boring races I would prefer to stick with the CSCC but we will see what I am accepted for.

5. chodjinn

chodjinn Active Member

Yeah I was looking at some of the thunder race series but like you said, most people get stomped on by ex-time attack cars or the odd mega budget build, plus they keep changing the rules. I'm going for more the club racing etc, the BARC has 6 different classes so the grid has a mega mix of cars, and the rules have been pretty much the same for 30yrs. There are 3 classes for production type cars and 3 for specials, since mine has modified suspension pickups and a non-original engine it goes in the special class. Last year's overall winner was a lotus elise, year before that some mad 600bhp V8 lotus elite, looks pretty good I think. Look forward to seeing some pics of your soarer.

6. tion

tion Member

Pictures need to see this

7. Benzo

Benzo Member

Sounds interesting! Look forwArd to seeing pics as well, I've a keen interest in thunder / special saloon :)

8. Trickysadd

Trickysadd Member

IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1161.JPG So finally this moves on. I will get some more pics up as we go if anyone's interested, but here's a couple from the spray shop although the wings need widening again now as the car has wisefab front and rear !