Some hanging AE86...

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by mj86, Oct 27, 2016.

1. mj86

mj86 Member

Yeah, wasn't ideal watching it come towards to me lol just sitting waiting for impact.

Not sure yet, I've thought about it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

It looks pretty brutal! Do you have door bars in your 86? The doors don't offer too much support :/
    Props for not babying it though!

3. mj86

mj86 Member

It was pretty solid, glass everywhere, including shoes and underwear [emoji23] I don't have door bars, funnily enough, some cage work is on my list for winter work lol

Nah, I'll never baby it, all fun isn't it

4. mj86

mj86 Member

So on Monday I got the keys to my unit, which means time for the 86 to get some love and a rebuild [emoji1360]

[​IMG]

Was up there last night, just starting to strip parts off...

[​IMG]

No major plans as of yet, some small engine modifications, some paint and a new kit...and looking at full tube front end. But we will see what occurs

5. Hudson.

Hudson. JIBES

Love it! Think i'll be aiming to get an 86 soon-ish

6. mj86

mj86 Member

Do it! Best cars!

7. mj86

mj86 Member

So spent a little bit of time at the unit, stripping bits off and working to get the engine out, today was the big day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stripped all the parts off of it ready for a clean up and paint [emoji1360]

[​IMG]

Also not happy with a few bits in the engine bay, not sure if standard but the brake lines are just ugly and have many joiners in them and needless bends, so will be redoing them in copper, getting rid of some old brackets that are no longer needed, and doing a paint in there.

Cheers

8. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

My favourite part of your crash was when approximately 4 hours later at the services you digged around for a couple of seconds and then pulled a large shard of glass out of your arse crack

9. mj86

mj86 Member

So spent a bit of time at the unit again recently, decided to sack a few plans off in the name of seat time and actually using the thing. So I'm just cleaning stuff up, throwing some paint around and doing a little refresh.

So i got to paint my engine bay today, went for something a little out there...won't be to a lot of people's tastes, but is what it is...

The Mrs got involved which was ideal as I massively cba with prep work, so she got to cleaning and sanding down the bay, proper job over here
    [​IMG]

My good pal got involved with a temp booth to make sure I didn't piss people off by making everything fun colours...
    [​IMG]

And then we chucked some paint at it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The engine also got some loving
    [​IMG]

Will be popping back up there tomorrow to get another coat or lacquer on it (as said, proper job over here) and then should be able to chuck the engine back in on Friday

10. G535

G535 Member

Very nice build man! Great to see people motivated and not giving up fast! Hope youre staying black as bodycolor? What kit are you planning on getting?

11. mj86

mj86 Member

It's been off the road for not even a month and I miss it already haha hoping in a couple months it'll be back out!
    Body is going a grey/champagne colour, Audi Dakota grey to be precise, painted my battered wing this colour and I'm a fan of it.
    Kit I was thinking a dmax rep from epr

12. TheHouse

TheHouse Member

It's very purple!

13. Leno

Leno Member

Man you didn't have much luck there! Fair play for sticking it out though! Awesome car that'll only get better i recon :)

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

14. mj86

mj86 Member

Nothing but bad luck with it, but I'm hoping it'll be better once it's out. Cheers man!

15. Leno

Leno Member

In fairness dude my s14 was about the same, no crashes but it blew up within the first year, I then dented the sump in on the fresh engine fingers crossed our luck will change!

16. mj86

mj86 Member

Well fingers crossed for us both then lol

Spent the day at the unit today, bolting bits back on and getting it back together.

Costed up all the webers and decided I wasn't in to how much they were costing just yet, I'd rather get more then 3 days of seat time in the car before I completely change everything about it...

So we got the inlet back on, loom plugged back in, and an engine in the hole

[​IMG]

Exhaust manifold is currently being repaired, so that's next to be fitted, then to see if it actually starts and if I can remember where vac lines and other bits go [emoji23]

17. mj86

mj86 Member

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT, been a while chaps.

Not a massive amount has changed really except I'm lazy and don't like spending money of course.

It runs now, spent a few nights with Alf getting stuff done, changing bits, sorting timing, got a small idle issue but still waiting to bolt bits on, so not too fussed by that right now.

I have at least ordered and purchased parts though. First bit I got was my new kit, spent a while trying to figure out what I wanted, and changed my mind about 1000 times, but I got there in the end...
    IMG_0351.JPG

Ignore the flat there, but a rough mock up of the front and skirts, just a DMAX rep from EP Racing, I'm too out of control to buy legit stuff, so cry all you like.

Waiting till payday to collect my new wings and collecting the new drivers door from Devon while I'm away next week which has worked out nicely.

Main issue I've been having is getting someone to sort my body work out, guy in my unit said he'd do it, then started to drag his heels and ignore it a bit, so got it on a trailer, and down to my partners house as her dad offered to get involved. So today, we made a start...

IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG

So that's where it currently sits, was obviously pretty mangled there from the crash, but was also all rotten, so it's not a bad thing it's all getting replaced as it needed replacing.

Arches are also rotten, but, in the mad mind of my partners dad, he took up my offer of a pair of e46 front wings...so far, every bit of metal welded in has been from a passenger side wing.

IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG

Just a rough mock up there, but you get the idea. Will work pretty well!

But this is where I'll leave it for now, continuing on Sunday with this arch, so will update then!

IMG_0399.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  18. mj86

mj86 Member

Continued getting some bodywork issues sorted out today, got the rest of the inner arch welded in which is a main job sorted. Stuck for work to finish bits now because of lack of parts, waiting for a sill from a mk2 fiesta to be delivered to fab up the sill and part of the rear quarter panel.

Also got the passenger door to fit properly, so that's the passengers and the mrs happy

We then realised we hadn't done an arch fitment test with the wheel on and the car on the floor, so we got on with that, turns out it's near enough spot on. Need to cut some of the inner arch out, but we aren't far off now!

IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG

19. mj86

mj86 Member

Had a day to spend of the little car today, so set about getting the new rad mounted, new hoses on and get the system bled up. Car hadn't been started and left to run for an amount of time since the beginning of December either, so was happy to get it running for a while.
    IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

I also picked up the new wings, fibreglass replacements because I'm not about spending £300 on one good condition metal wing. So i got offered this pair, was told they were +25 wings, but once fitted I believe they are standard, which is actually better for me right now.

IMG_0564.JPG

So as it is, that's where it stands, got castor arms to fit which I'll hopefully do Saturday morning, but apart from that, it's finish welding, and paint it, then it's back!

IMG_0580.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wilsonomnom

Wilsonomnom New Member

Making good progress bud. I'll keep an eye on this!

• Like Like x 1