Southwall Smokers Lydden Hill Drift Day 22nd March 2014

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by lezbrucelee, Feb 20, 2014.

1. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

yeah thats what i thought the reason was.

thing is though, isnt that still what you get now? as people still put themselves in groups so you still have different levels of experience mixed up.

I seem to remember open pit lane working a lot better as by around 2 everyone was out of rubber and you could go out and do tons of laps on an almost empty track. though maybe there wasnt as many cars that time?

maybe worth considering giving it another try?

2. wiggye36

wiggye36 New Member

I agree with jack here, I'd rather pay more for an open pit lane than £120 for up to an hour and half seat time over the day.

3. Clive

Clive Active Member

Sessions in morning.

Open pit lane in the afternoon.

So many empty sessions in the afternoon- so much so I was pissed off with myself for not dragging the 86 down!

4. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

To be honest if everybody had been told and heard about the changes it would have been ok. But we que'd (with every other driver in the yellow group) for 15 mins then to be told. The place needs a load of good tanoy speakers around the pits. The current tanoy is worthless as you cant hear toff.

Definetly going to book early next time to get in the pro group. The speed was far to slow going into the elbow in the interpro group. But thanks to all the other drivers for waving me by.

5. Paterson

Paterson New Member

That was my first ever drift day pretty much my first attempt at drifting at all .It was very daunting lining up and seeing a few Bdc cars in the que to go out in the novice group but in all fairness they gave me tons of room never had an issue with them even when I was spinning every other lap haha and the same problem where we was parked couldn't hear absolutely nothing on the tanoy leaving most people very confused to what was going on .

6. michellewestby

First of all, sorry to anyone I got in the way of on the entries as I realised I was a little slower then some of you :) but did wave anyone on that I thought I was in the way of :p thanks to fuller for pushing me harder by being on my door !!! lol

Secondly , anyone got a list of the photographers that were there ?

7. gouwy

gouwy Member

hi,

because i'm really not looking back on my day there in a positive way i want to give my opinion.
    i think i'm well qualified to give my opinion on this, as i've been running driftdays in france for Belgian drivers for a few years now.

first off, as soon as we have a proper track with some speed involved.
    we don't allow people that can't even slide one corner without spinning and we warn people before the driftday so they know, if they keep fucking up they get sent home, and we do send em home if they do!
    second, WE NEVER RUN SESSIONS! It's useless as it creates hours of lost tracktime.
    so i can hear a lot of people go, oh great, bdc type drivers going out with amateurs.
    nope, doenst happen because of first thing i've written and we also warn the pro guys to treat other cars with respect, if not again they get sent home.
    the only thing u need is a good drifter at the pitlane exit that controls the amount of cars on track to keep things safe, at lydden a good number would be 14 to start with imo.
    as jack pointed out nearly everyone would run out of tires by 2 o'clock wich we give as a bit of advice to the slower cars to save up tyres and drive more in the afternoon.
    it's a win win situation for everyone because there's never a massive line up to get on except for the first hour or so, drivers get almost 3 times more seat time. track gets used as it should for the money they ask for it and u can technically allow more cars.
    to some it may seem a bit chaotic, but after running a few days, i know the briefing in the morning and the way you control your drivers makes the difference between a good fun day and a dangerous day filled with c*nts trying to destroy one and other.

i'm not saying it's all bad, because it takes serious effort to run a day involving these numbers of cars. So my respect to the crew of lydd!
    i'm just saying how we do things.
    just a belgian's view of things ;-)

8. Hydr0

Hydr0 New Member

Skiden Hill: Loved it, fantastic track, great vibe, friendly people, even stayed out of the gravel this time.

Ok, the PA system is shit and I still smell of burnt rubber but bring on the April date.

9. REDTOm

REDTOm Member

Good day but open pitlane aslong as its well regulated like gouwy has just said would work 100 times better.

10. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

I was only spectating on saturday but will be taking part in april and so on, And i know this is just how you do things and your point of view but i would be pretty pissed off if i got sent home after spending £120 for the day plus more £££ for fuel etc just because im in the way of more experienced drivers, and how are people going to improve if they just get sent home ?

#50 Faniel321, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  11. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

simple answer to that, you dont go to lydden until you are at a decent level.

ive said it on every single thread thats cropped up. it isnt a beginners track. if i decided to take up single seater racing, i wouldnt rock up at the f1 grand prix and expect to go out on track. No one is saying you have to be a super amazing pro to drive there, but if you cant link a couple of corners together, go to pod and learn the basics before jumping on a fast circuit.

if your at intermediate level, then fine, your not going to get in the way of more experienced drivers as more experienced drivers will know to go around you. no one has a problem with people learning, what they have a problem with is the same people lap after lap going into the gravel and stopping the session, costing everyone seat time.

I really really really think next time lets just try and open pit lane and see what happens, if it doesnt work then go back to sessions. but at the moment i dont see a single advantage to keeping sessions personaly?

12. REDTOm

REDTOm Member

^ Agreed

also if/when people do end up in the gravel in the open pit lane it wont be a huge headache as you wont lose your whole session while they pull them out. Oh and the marshalls who dont seem to know whats going on 90% of them time with sessions will have less to think about...

13. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

I also agree with the idea of open pit lane as long as it's regulated by how many cars can be out at any one time,

And yes I agree with the idea of pod etc as that's what I'm going to do, but some people prefer to learn at lydden and you can't deny people the right to do that regardless of what people think

14. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

And anyway I thought that was the whole idea of "practice days" to improve yourself and learn from mistakes am I wrong ?

15. Paterson

Paterson New Member

That's the idea as far as I no ....I found lydden fine for learning on as a beginner before Saturday I hadn't so much as skidded a roundabout yes I spun many times in the day but never ended up in the gravel or stopped a session because of my mistakes .It was a big learning curve as literally had no idea or advice how to drift by the end of the I was doing some form of drifting on all the corners even managed to link a few .ill more than likely book novice again until I can carry some entry speed of some sort haha.

16. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

yes it is. however people need to walk before they can fly.

tbh the arrogance of some people actually pisses me off regarding this. when i started drifting a good few years ago, i wouldnt of dreamed of turning up at lydden and getting in everyones way all day. in fact i probably did about 15 practice days elsewhere before my first day at lydden hill. people have no respect anymore for this.

this might not be a problem if there was some sort of placing of groups but there are people who have never done a track day before and putting themselves in pro groups etc. it is a fast track and i really really dont think anyone should be driving it unless they are at a half decent level.

17. Faniel321

Faniel321 Member

Yes again I agree you could see people were in the wrong groups on Saturday.

18. danoptiondrift

I agree with redtop and initial j I didn't even think about lydden until I could link corners and Drift 3rd gear at speed

19. Guy B

Guy B Member

If an open pit lane was attempted at the next session then the first point you made about it being 'not for beginners' would need to be enforced somehow. I think that will be the biggest challenge.

I like the idea of sessions in the morning and open pit lane in the afternoon personally as there are always far fewer cars on track in the afternoon.

I'd like to add that I have enjoyed every drift day at Lydden so far and I think it's run very well, I do hope Lez doesn't take some of these comments negatively.

20. tbtstt

tbtstt Member

Not a comprehensive list, but I know the following photographers were there:

Rubber Duck (Official Lydden Photographer) https://www.facebook.com/#!/RubberDuckDoesPhotography?fref=ts
    Dan Fegent: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dan-Fegent-Photography/116765711730600?fref=ts
    Shooting Dave: https://www.facebook.com/#!/shootingdave?fref=ts
    Maximum Revs: https://www.facebook.com/#!/MaximumRevsPhotography?fref=ts
    ASR Photography: https://www.facebook.com/#!/AdamRousPhotography?fref=ts

There were probably more: those are just the ones I know off hand!