Sr to vq with adapter plate question

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mike G, Jun 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mike G

Mike G New Member

I am sure this has been gone through before . My build is a bit specific so my question is also.
    I’m doing a cd009 swap in my jdm 180sx with a sr20det I’ve bought
    Collins adapter plate
    Aluminum driveshaft
    gktech shifter relocation
    Extended pivot ball
    200sx clutch release bearing sleeve

So far I’ve ran into a few problems and have a few questions.
    -what year 200sx sleeve am I using what is the length of it supposed to be (so I can confirm I have the correct one)
    - besides milling bell housing will I have to do additional clearance for starter gear?
    -will bell housing clear tunnel I have confirmed kits with designated bell housing does clear.
    -the driveshaft seems to rub the cover wrong the slip yoke if I go in so far not sure how far it goes in once installed .

Problems I’ve ran into .
    -Exhaust outlet/downpipe need modification
    -Slave cylinder will be on opposite side
    Need extra long clutch line
    -Dole pins and pin hole on Collins plate needed reamed slightly
    -bell housing will not be sealed ther will be gaps especially around starter
    -might need to remove engine or tilt it a lot to get any trans in or out.

Thanks,
    Mike

887BED0C-A84A-4F92-94E9-BEAD8DB63926.

2. EvilZ

EvilZ Member

You will need to measure the air gap yourself to be sure if it will work or if you will need a longer/shorter carrier sleeve.
    i.e. bolt the clutch and adapter onto the engine. put the sleeve on the fork in the gearbox and measure the distance from adapter plate to clutch fingers and the gearbox bellhousing end to the bearing carrier (remembering to add the extra distance for when you have the bearing on the carrier). Then subtract the gearbox measurement from the clutch fingers and that will give you the air gap(making sure the fork is retracted and then extended so you can see the engagement as well as air gap.)

#2 EvilZ, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  3. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Good advice thank you!

4. EvilZ

EvilZ Member

Np, I also have the issue of a gap between the protuner plate and the starter, I may see if I can fabricate a small plate or something otherwise its going to be left open (not great IMOP).
    I am surprised you bought a driveshaft before fitting it all together? If it was someone else's kit you might want to ask them as if you chop off the wrong amount from the bellhousing or use an s15 flywheel (not sure if they work with s13 clutches) you will change where the gearbox will sit and how far from the diff it will be.
    I am hoping to use a 350z diff in my s14a so might get lucky with the 350z carbon propshaft... but probably wont and will have to cut the ends off and have an alu one made with them.

5. Mike G

Mike G New Member

When Collins says I need a 200sx clutch release bearing sleeve do they mean . S chassis like 180sx 240sx or do they mean like us 200sx b14 ?

6. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Need some advice

7. EvilZ

EvilZ Member

Have a read through thishttp://alphaomegaracing.com/i/15/Z33-Z34-6-Speed-Gearbox-Conversion-Part-1-Adaption.html, there is a post somewhere on the internet maybe sxoc where it tells you the different sleeve sizes for different cars.
    I have no idea what the US 200sx bearing sleeve would be like as it’s a fwd car? But the 350z and s15 bearings have the same inner diameter so you could mix and match the carrier sleeve (from a 350z or s14,s15)to give you the correct air gap.

8. EvilZ

EvilZ Member

Ask Collins if you are buying their kit, as they know what to use.

9. Mike G

Mike G New Member

I was able to install the trans today I used the stock pivot ball and the s13 tob sleeve . I have about an inch gap between the pressure plate and tob. It doesn’t hit until halfway through the stroke . If I install the slave cylinder it will only have about an inch of pushing room . Will that be enough or should I pull it back out and try a different pivot ball?

10. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Also the splines seem to barely reach the clutch plate and idk if the end reaches the pilot bushing