Sr20 n/a 13 ....

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by p555ben, Aug 14, 2012.

1. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Been a while since I've updated captain slows thread!

Had a few things get in the way but am on it now and want to get it finished,

Stripped the underneath again and undersealed , the tank straps were rotten and disintegrated, so have a pair on the way , emptied the tank had 25L of the finest super! So the lawn mower is loving that right now.

So back to the car , I've done two coats of underseal , looks so good when done,

[​IMG]

I also got some s14 lower arms as I didn't like using washers to space out the s13 lower arm mounting points on the s14 subframe.

I've now bolted up all the driftworks arms and all is missing now is Coilovers , love how fresh it looks.

[​IMG]

Next is to fit the diff back up once it's finished being painted,

I also bought some wheels I've been after for a while ,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There works vs 17 x 8 et 20 . I'm hoping to get et 0 as the s14 subframe is wider and I have 10 mm spacers also. I'm going to test fit them to see if I will get away with a wider lip at the rear. Exciting times! Got the paint matched up for the engine bay and cage .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist a trial fitment , they look like a good fit, but hard to gauge without tyres and Coilovers.

More updates soon

2. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Again little progress on captain slow , although I keep getting little bits and pieces and the latest part is a set of pulsar gtir individual throttle bodies.

[​IMG]

They came with an adaptor plate , which is very rough but works , do I'm going to make another one and match port it both sides.

I'm looking at a set of rb20det injectors and loom as the rail is different,

I couldn't resist a trial fit so whipped the manifold off and fitted the itb's , there is sooooo much room on that side of the engine , the fuel rail faces the other side and hits the firewall but I will be able to modify to fit, and I need to move some coolant pipes around , job done!!! Oh and I'm getting various length trumpets up in carbon so I can see what lengths work best .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of the wiring will be hidden which will add to the tidy look I'm after.

Next job engine out and paint the engine bay.....

I WILL FINISH CAPTAIN SLOW

3. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Had bit of time to kill this morning so took the engine out for paint and final clean up, engine bay will be painted next too so getting everything out the way.

[​IMG]

Love how it takes less than 40 minutes to take the engine out

[​IMG]

Dropped the engine on a stand and started stripping it down again a quick process. I took the box off too get the engine on the stand and to see the state of the clutch just incase it needed changing as I don't want to take the engine out again if I don't want to and came across these ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More little trick bits on this engine , definitely a great buy !!!!

And clutch appears good so no need to buy another

More to come ladies and gents !!!

4. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Bit more progress recently , painted the block .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started rebuilding it up with the polished throttle bodies and winged sump ,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please with how it's looking, got few bits to finish on the engine , got rocker stoppers on the way, and cam cover is being painted too.

Got an extended carbon handle made up for my hydro too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got few other bits on the way and painting the engine bay in a couple of weeks, can't wait , more updates soon....

5. Onzatrip

Onzatrip Member

Just gone through this whole thread, It looks incredible and Im loving the details your going into, also I raise your captain slow, and raise you this, my s13 coupe is running a ca18de engine

6. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Wow kind words sir , that's made my day , got to love appreciation .
    I'm trying to keep it simple and easy to work on /fix as its going to be used in anger, but I'm also keeping it relatively cheap too as I'm poor lol
    Ha ha you definitely have me there N/A love .....

7. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Got my rocker stoppers today,

[​IMG]

Next is the cam cover to be painted then can seal it up , get the pipe work done and sort my trumpets out ,
    Also decided the route for engine management so need to save up or sell a kidney!!!
    So updates coming soon

8. Chunky Nugget

Chunky Nugget honkeytits!!

Looking sick dude, should be killer. Onzatrip CA18de, you fucking legend, was going to build one on Pulsar carbs, in fact I still might now. This thing should sound pretty good, so you might make the first decent sounding SR ever ha ha, bit of baarp.

9. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Cheers dude , yeah looking forward to hear the noise !!!

I have a set for sale actually ......

10. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Been finishing off the wiring , putting the fuse boxes into one box , lots of wires and soldering.....
    [​IMG]

It will look neat and tidy I hope,

Fitted my rocker stoppers

[​IMG]

And got some bargain front discs ....£18 !!!!
    [​IMG]

I'll redrill them to 4stud and got pads on the way do front setup is finished just tears then that's brakes sorted.

11. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Sooooo big development this morning , went from this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

To this

[​IMG]

Ending with.......this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So pleased with how it's turned out!

12. Joss

Joss Member

Gorgeous!

13. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Thanks it's getting there

14. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Had a look today in the daylight to see how the paint looks , so so pleased with how it's turned out,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got few little bits to paint up and the rebuild can begin, so glad I can start putting it back together properly .

15. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Had a spare day today so cracked on and got the engine back together flywheel and clutch then the gearbox.not going to lie the box was an absolute arse , feel like I've done a hard workout! But got it on in the end,

[​IMG]

Then thought it would be rude not to get it put in , again was little bit of a play to get it in without scratching but managed it with only couple of small touch ups to be done......

[​IMG]

So happy it's in for the last time and can now get in and get it all put back together, got fair bit of painting and cleaning to do to get everything in , but will get there !

16. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

Another busy day on captain slow ,

Got few of the ancillaries on and the master cylinders etc , to be honest there's not a great deal more in the engine bay to be honest ,
    Was a little worried that the bonnet would hit the throttlebodies and trumpets but looking at it , it will clear which is good as I'm still 50/50 if I want a bonnet vent yet.....
    I drilled out some snapped bolts and painted around the bay black as most of it wont be seen, few pics below of the progress,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glad I'm using the thinner brake booster looks so much neater

[​IMG]

Plenty of clearance for my trumpets

17. p555ben

p555ben Active Member

So another British day so had to start on the internal wiring that I've been ignoring, so this afternoon I started with this.....

[​IMG]

And it's starting to look neater,

[​IMG]

Still got half to finish but need more conduit

[​IMG]

Stiil glad this is moving on , bit by bit it's getting done

18. GrilloGarage

GrilloGarage New Member

Nice work!
    Waiting for updates :)

19. Carl419

Carl419 New Member

Looks like it'll draw the crowds at any shows when it's done!

20. sparky_s13

sparky_s13 Active Member

Hats off to you this is pretty sick and different!

Looking forward to more updates dont envy all that effort with the wiring at all but will be 100% worth it when its done.