SR20DET rebuild advise

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by rcsammy, Mar 3, 2019.

1. rcsammy

rcsammy New Member

my SR black top developed a bottom end knock a couple of weeks ago on a drift day, i've stripped the engine down and its spun a bearing on one big end. I need to get the crank re ground or replace it along with one rod

my main question is where would people recommend to buy new bearing shells, seals, gaskets etc? i'll also need to replace the oil pump by the looks of it

is anything worth upgrading whilst i am rebuilding the engine? bearings, head gasket, head bolts/studs? i see mentions of upgraded rockers or rocker stoppers?

are there any common issues with SR's that can cause this? i assume its from a lack of oil pressure/surge but i dont know for definite, is a baffled sump worth looking at? i've also read about people adjusting the relief valve in the oil pump to increase the pressure?

I'm new to these engines it'll be the first full engine rebuild ive carried out so any advise or suggestions would be great!

2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

ACL for the bearings, the engineering shop that grinds the crank will let you know what size to buy as you'll probably need oversized ones for the damage.
    Nissan for the oil pump and Nissan or Conceptua tuning for the gaskets.

If you need a rod then just replace all of them with forged items, you can fit ARP head studs and nuts if you wish but it's not crucial.
    Greddy do/did a big winged sump to help with oil capacity.

3. rcsammy

rcsammy New Member

thanks for the reply!
    yeah its only the one big end journal that will need an oversized bearing, annoying as i can only find them sold in sets so far...
    i assume the ACL race series bearings are the ones to get rather than ACL standard, are cosworth bearings worth looking at too?
    they also sell 'extra/tighter oil clearance' bearings if they are likely to make any difference

not got a huge budget to play with, looking around it looks like forged rods are atleast £400 odd so i might just have to get a standard replacement.

is it recommended to change the head bolts for new ones when re assembling anyway? if so for the price difference i may as well go for ARP studs

is it worth going for anything fancy headgasket wise? its running a T28R on 1.2bar, nothing too crazy

i'll have to check out how much an OEM oil pump is, ACL do a OE replacement pump for £200 ish

Japspeed sell a larger capacity baffled sump for a reasonable price, just depends if its actually any good, some japspeed stuff i've had seems questionable

4. rcsammy

rcsammy New Member

just bumping this up, hopefully someone looks at it! im more or less sorted new other than a couple of bits

theres a couple of copy sumps on ebay which im tempted by, just wondering if anyone has any actual experience with them?

this one looks to be a Greddy copy, main worry would be poor/porous casting
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-NISS...489752?hash=item25a7d42b58:g:hugAAOSwx6pYr8oq

or there is this for a bit more £ which is likely a Tomei copy
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baffled-...161712?hash=item2f29a54c30:g:mmUAAOSwKwhcNFvI

other than that any advise on head gaskets would be great? cosworth, oem, multi layer?

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

There's been some horror stories of the fake sumps being porous and kinda leaking.