Starter E46 330d v mx5

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by dazza9t9, Apr 18, 2016.

1. dazza9t9

dazza9t9 New Member

Good evening all,

before you dismiss this thread as another "best learner drift", it is but slightly different

i have always ways been in to my jap cars, owning lots of different ones, my favourite being my last jap a stunning r33 gts. This had to go due to a change in my commute. After a short flirt with a. 120d, I got myself my current car. A 2004 e46 330d.

i have been interested in drifting for some time now, I live near Teesside so often go and watch practice days

so I will cut to the chase, the opportunity may be arising that I can get a second car, so my question for you good people is as the title suggests

do I get a run about and turn my 330d into a drifter or do I look at a cheap mx5

the 330d is mapped, half poly bushed, lowered, carbon fibre bonnet and a few other odds and sods. Currently 250 bhp rest is standard, and a saloon.

but how well do they drift? I'll never compete just play really.

i have always been a fan of mx5, but have read they take some getting used to for drifting.

does anyone have any views thoughts or experiences

2. 51580

51580 New Member

Not sure about how a diesel drifts but I have a buddy with 325i who drifts his e46 no Problem. Are you asking how the chassis will be able to do skids or how the engine will handle the skids

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

3. 51580

51580 New Member

Look him up on Instagram, adamtschmitt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. dazza9t9

dazza9t9 New Member

I have no doubt E46's drift. Its more how will the diesel drift with the way the power comes in and the narrow power band.
    Also considering how they drift for a beginner, comparing the oil burning to an mx5
    Would it be best to look at a 5 and keep the 330d as a road car

5. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

The 330 sounds like it's had abit of money spent on it, it'd be a shame to stuff it into a wall.
    Get an MX5, they're ten a penny and you won't loose any sleep when you rub some paint off.

6. dazza9t9

dazza9t9 New Member

That was a consideration. But if I am getting a daily I will prob end up getting rid of the 330d to get a cheaper daily.

It's a difficult one, as the other train of thought is I have already started work on the 330d so makes a good base

If it will drift well. I have not seen (myself) many oil burners drifting....is there a reason or is there more drifting than I know?)

7. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

It'll drift fine.

8. dazza9t9

dazza9t9 New Member

Thank you for your input it's really helpful

Anyone drifter a 330d???

9. Lewis Dennison

My friend has a 330d which he drifts and it drifted fine he just uses a higher gear

10. Pilkboid

Pilkboid Member

Get the Mx5. 1. as mentioned ten a penny. 2. learn to drift an mx5 and you will learn to drift properly. 3. a 330d will go sideways, of course, but there is a reason you dont see any at drift days. You run out of revs and they just aint that fun to skid. When people say that they drift Td cars they prob mean they do a few laps of there local tesco roundabout.

Honestly, get an mx5. chuck some ebay coilovers on it, weld the diff and put some 6mm rack spacers on. Throe it into the walls a few times and have some cheap fun.