Steve's S13 Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by steve109, Nov 12, 2012.

1. japworx.deano

japworx.deano Member

nice project fella

2. steve109

steve109 Member

Ok, no updates at all, just a list of stuff I need to get done over my uni Easter break whilst I'm back in Southport for two weeks.

ABS Removal - Need to buy new calliper nipples
    Battery Relocation - need to buy fuse and terminal box mounting point
    Weld/rust proof and spray bay
    Spray rocker covers
    Sort out boot area
    Dye interior carpets
    Seal bootlid bolts so I stop getting a pond in wheel well
    Raise the front half an inch and soften the damping
    Chop/weld/fit exhaust I bought ages ago now
    Refurb new fuel tank and fit
    Underseal under the rear end and clean off current shit fest of road salt
    Maybe buy bucket seat and fit..

And no doubt sort some other niggling stuff that's been irritating me of late.

Depending on funds, T28, 444cc and Z32 + map if I can find a standard map for stage 3 for Nistune knocking around to write to my board. If anyone has one hit me up via PM.

So only a small list of stuff I'd like to get done in two weeks, but other than that it's been running/driving completely fine and awesome

3. steve109

steve109 Member

So I've just picked up a few bits today

New headlight bulbs and LED sidelights as for some reason one of each of mine have gone kaput.

Also ordered new brake bleed nipples M10x1 over all length 26mm, at a guess tha'ts what's in there since the answer doesn't seem to be around.

Also picked up a set of apex seat subframes so they can attach to one of these that I'm picking up this week

[​IMG]

Also ordering a few bits for my battery relocation, a 300A junction box, 2 175A mega fuses and mega fuse box from VWP so I'm all ready to roll next week.

4. steve109

steve109 Member

Right went and handed over some savings today

[​IMG]

Picture to prove I fit in it!

[​IMG]

Hopefully the rails will be here either tomorrow or the next day so then I can get it fitted. So comfortable its unreal :D

Kidney supports are also in the post so they should be here this week also

5. steve109

steve109 Member

Well its in! (apologies for the lack of clean anything at the moment..)

Apex rails and kidney back supports came in this morning so I got straight on it and got it fitted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it does sit pretty high, but at a massive 5'8" it suits me just fine. I'd say its very close to the original seat position as I didn't have to adjust any of the mirrors.

I do need to adjust it over slightly to the left by about 2cm but to do this I need tools I don't have here so that'll come later, I may also add a couple of extra holes to make it sit lower when I take it out to dye my carpet next week see how that goes.

Super comfy, awesome to sit in. Drove around in traffic for about an hour before just to get used to driving with it and its fantastic. Makes the car feel very tight and a lot more useable as you can feel everything whilst being very secure.

#105 steve109, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. redmr2

redmr2 New Member

Great thread mate. Nice work, enjoyed the last half hour reading :)

7. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

Good work man, bucket seat makes a huge difference! You fitting harnesses too at some point? They also make a huge difference :)

8. redmr2

redmr2 New Member

I had a Bride bucket in my MR2. Was awesome. Regret selling it. :(

9. steve109

steve109 Member

I will be fitting a harness at somepoint, but only after I've got a cage and proper harness bar in, so probably sometime next summer by the time I have the money saved for that.

10. steve109

steve109 Member

Started a bit of work on the car today.

[​IMG]

Stripped all the interior out to remove the carpet for cleaning and dying. Then put my bucket seat back in so I can drive it around still.

Under the carpets are in a lot better condition that I thought, little bit of surface rust and a load of dust. And my welds seem to still be solid and intact so please with that. Few snaps of it being emptied.

I'm going to board and carpet the whole rear and put the battery behind the drivers seat and box it in. I was going to repair the rear interior trim and dye it as well but they're way too broken, so I'll find some better condition ones and then dye those.

few snaps with it stripped. I'll give everything a quick de-rust and Krust session and then paint it before carpet/sound deadening goes in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also fitted new headlight and sidelight bulbs and a new breather filter for my catch can.

Had a massive scare, turned it over after fitting the breather filter and plumes of smoke filled my road.. Luckily its cleared up and stopped now, everything seems to be running fine. So I must have disturbed something somewhere when I tried to relocate it somewhere else.

More tomorrow folks.

#110 steve109, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  11. steve109

steve109 Member

Parts that came through the other day

[​IMG]

Dyed the carpet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted out the inside to protect it after doing a bit of rust protection. It's not too neat but it's never going to be seen as the carpet will be there.

[​IMG]

Ordered some new carpet, as I'm boarding out the rear half. Will be rust proofing and painting part of the boot as well to protect it.

More tomorrow

12. tidytobes

tidytobes Manfoot Kerb Magnet

What have you used on the floor mate? Is that just hammerite?

And what dye have you used for the carpet, I'm doing exactly the same work on my s13 this week and would love to know where to get a good dye from..

Nice build though, getting along nicely :)

13. steve109

steve109 Member

hey mate, the carpet dye is just 2L worth of this, I'd dyed it previously, but only did a very thin coat about 1/2L worth so it wasn't very dark, this 2nd go with the rest has done the trick though.

Autosmart Midnight Black Carpet Dye Valet Detail 1 Litre 1L Valeting Detailing | eBay

On the floor I used a similar product to Hammerite, Fortress Satin Metal Paint, black and white tin with red writing, direct to rust too. Although I ground back and Krust'd any small patches needing treatment first.

Update time, got a bit of sound deadening in and the carpet back in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then placed in some extra carpet

[​IMG]

then carpet in

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've also sorted out the basic boxing out of the rear and put in the battery box in behind the seat. Will take some photos later.

Decided it's going to look awesome.

14. Daze

Daze THROWDOWN

That looks awesome! What sound deadening stuff is that? And maybe a silly question, but where'd you get the extra carpet from too? Was that just offcuts of random carpet?

15. hoagy5

hoagy5 Member

Bucket seat makes such a difference to how the car feels doesn't it! I fitted mine last night but its gonna have to come back out as its too high I'm gonna have to modify my rails but they need to be painted anyway. What amp Megafuse did you use?

16. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Hats off to you dude, your doing all the small things i wish i had the patience to do on my 13. End result will be worth it though!

17. steve109

steve109 Member

That sound deadening is some extra special roof flashing! Had some in the shed and seen it been used before, so will see how it goes.

Carpet I chopped up was just some random car carpet that I had spare from years a go, had 4mm sound insulation underneath it too, not quite enough to do everything but should ad something.

I've got a 175A mega fuse, bought two just so I have a spare.

I've ordered some actual black boot carpet with 6mm insulation to cover the whole boarded out section in the rear, should look sexual. I'm a lot more excited about it than I thought I was going to be.

Cheers guys! I'm doing the small stuff, because the big stuff is expensive! haha..

18. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

I admire the smaller stuff more dude, too many people chase power these days. And sometimes the smaller things interest me more, im going to attempt the led dash clocks youve done, try to modernise my interior a bit more :p

19. steve109

steve109 Member

Ah man for the cost of it, its ridiculously good. I am going to solder the LED's to the holders, because they seem to jiggle out because they're not an exact fit, so I think a quick blob will stop the smaller ones getting loose. Or I could un-stiffen my suspension, but what would be the fun in that?

20. 200sx_

200sx_ PS13 x TD Power

Exactly haha, BECAUSE DRIFT CAR! Interesting about the solder, may have to order those bulbs seeing as apart from exams, i now have 6 months off haha :p