Stripping the car baby :wack:

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Lenagh, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Lenagh

Lenagh Active Member

I've just started ripping out my interior :wack:

So far the back seats are gone and most of the boot. Does anyone have any pictures and stuff regarding stripping interiors.

I'm thinking at the mo to leave the dash and door panels alone but remove everything in the rear and underfoot at the front.

Do people scrape off the bits of stuff that seem to be welded to the metal and then paint the metal ?

If so its off to the body shop with it as I want it done properly but I'll do the stripping myself first.

I believe shoving a roll cage in suddenly makes insurance go ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHH :ghey:

2. d-anie-l

d-anie-l Active Member

3. PhatBob

PhatBob Ken Block???

If you are going to seam weld the chassis you need to strip about an inch away every 3-4 inches along the seams. A wire brush on an angle grinder will do this for you.

Getting sound proofing off is a sod of a job, I did it on my Renault 5 a while ago and got a bin bag full of the stuff which was quite an impressive weight.

Rollcages may effect insurance, you might want to phone round and see what options you have, Adrian Flux is quite open minded to cages IIRC. I've got my CRX and my S14 on a Tradex insurance, they dont care what mods the cars have, just as long as the cars are road legal.

Rob

4. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

I lost over 100kg's when stripping the car, it was measured on scales relatively acuratly.. It is one hell of a shit job getting the sound deadening and tar off, it will take about 5 days off work to sort it..

5. Lenagh

Lenagh Active Member

Thanks guys at this point in time I am starting with panel removal then moving towards the welded padding (which oddly is red just like the car I guess they spray it as well).

Then in with a seat.

Does anyone have tried and tested seat / rail combo's for the 14 ? as they all seem to be a mish mash !

Going to get a seat ordered then on my next weekend off (due in 3 weeks time) get up to sis and ades and strip / fit everything in one hit. :thumbs:

6. _/_/_/M aurice

I think sometimes people use dry ice to get the sound deadening off... Its probably a real PITA to handle it and all, but word has it that the stuff just chips off afterwards...

7. astraboy

astraboy Yer, fookin' Volvoooo!

if you cant get dry ice, does a CO2 fire extinguisher do the job?
    astraboy.

8. John C

John C Member

Just put a Sparco Evo in my S14.

I used Sparco side mount plates with a Bride adjustable frame as it will be used by different drivers so needs at least fore/aft adjustment.

Even though it all bolted together fine, it still needed modifying as when I got it all in the car, the seat was too high. Had to drill an extra hole in the side plates and it now sits as low as it can go. The Bride frame fitted in very nicely I have to say and it looks well made.

The dash is out on mine at the moment so I can take out the airbags and drill some holes for gauges etc. Actually not too bad a job to do.
    I've stripped the back and the boot and panelled the holes with Ali but have decided not to strip the soundproofing off as I know what a bastard job is can be. Might do it when I come to fit a cage, but for the moment I want to use it as a daily driver too so I want a bit of comfort at least up front.

#8 John C, Sep 30, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2004
  9. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

john, did you use the bride frame thats meant for base mounted seats? that is probably why its too high, the bride FG is meant for side mount seats and mounts them just slightly off the floor:D

10. John C

John C Member

Yeh, the side mount frame was going to take too long to get, so I thought I'd try the base mount first. I reckon it's now low enough for me. The base of the seat is now almost touching frame, so I can't see how it could be much lower even with if I had used the side mount frame.

11. Moffatt

Moffatt Member

If you use a gas welding torch or a hot air gun paint stripper it peals off!
    Took me 1 hour for the whole of the bimmer. :thumbs:

12. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

I thought that might be the case, on the transmission tunnel of mine it just peeled off after a hard run.

13. willg180

willg180 Member

I tried the hot air gun, it was just a little to messy and burny. ended up chipping it off took ages but turned out nice. I used petrol to take the remain of the tar of, and it was by far the best.

14. Moffatt

Moffatt Member

yeah if it goes to sticky let it cool down for a bit then peel it.
    Ben got it right when he got the transmission so hot it peeled off.

Hows the suspension Ben? :confused:

15. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

It's a no go so far. :( The strut collar nuts are in stock now, and they say the "stem top" is out of stock...err...

Guy's ringing me back in a few mins to let me know what the hell is going on.

16. matt

matt -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

its lower with the side mount because there is nothing connecting the 2 sides, they are independent of each other allowing the seat to actually go between them, rather than above them:)

17. John C

John C Member

Oh I see :rolleyes:
    Maybe I should have gone for the side mount frame but I just couldn't wait and I think it's low enough the way I've done it. Still, I suppose I'll find out once I've put the dash back in and can drive it...

18. sammysideways

sammysideways Active Member

As phil said ive managed to strip out 100kg of weight now as we speak, still got more sound deadning and bits to go, should be 120 kg by the time that ive finished.

much prefer the decreases in weight to how iw was before

19. Moffatt

Moffatt Member

Bad one :(
    You were seen cruising today by the black boy (is it) by my mate who was with me at wheels.

20. Hates_

Hates_ Member

Excellent, I'm getting a FG rail tomorrow for my EVO seat :D :D :D