Stupid engine...

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by FSR, Aug 16, 2004.

1. FSR

FSR Member

Damn, my engine blew to day. Probably the rods :( And I wanted to go to the next DriftUK event so much... Oh well, I'll pull some strings, and see what I can do. Stupid engine :mad:

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 9.17 BtG. Too slow.

Shit, not good.:(

Was you engine running at the limit of the rods?

3. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison WholeLifeCrisis
    Staff Member

Ah shit dude :(

I would have thought you'd have to rebuild it quite often with the abuse you give it??

4. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

:( hope you can get it sorted in time.
    I'm sure you'll come up with something ;)

5. SidewaysRob

SidewaysRob Member

Beg, borrow or steel! What ever it takes get yourself to round 4 man.

6. FSR

FSR Member

I'll take it out and have a look. It's been running perfectly for a year now. Both on the street and on trackdays, drifting and racing. However, the bottom end should be rather bulletproof, so something must have happened. I was driving for a magazine when I lost oil pressure. Went in to the pits to find that I had almost no oil left. It was fine this morning, so somehow it must have leaked out. No oil leaks in the engine though, and no blue smoke. Filled it up with fresh oil, did one lap, then I got that knocking sound. Pretty bad actually. With some luck it could be a loose flywheel or something, but I really doubt it :(

7. Morf

Morf Active Member

Ahh crap..dude make sure you make it back to DriftUK, wouldn't have been the same without you and your antics :thumbs:

8. Kenny

Kenny -NIGHTSPIRIT FAMILY-

mine seems to have the same problem after 2 drift days. half of the engine oil is gone and a slight bottom end knocking and low oil pressure. luckly found out early and not major damage.

hope u can make it to the 2nd round of DriftUK. let us know if u need anything.

9. TwinturboCH

TwinturboCH Active Member

Shit, bad luck dude. Hope you get it fixed cause I'm looking forward to watching you put foot to ass at round 4 :nod: :thumbs:

10. Bon Bon

Bon Bon It'll be fine

Fredrik, get it fixed at all costs man, if you're coming to the next Wheels event then that's the most important thing. :thumbs:

I'll keep my fingers, toes, eyes, etc crossed for you. Good luck getting it sorted. :)

11. LittleMark

LittleMark -NIGHTSPIRIT-

is it not oil surge? beacuse of the movement of the car it starves the oil pump,coz all oil is in other side!?? Baffled sump fixes that, just a thought tho!

Mark

12. CorollaRWD

CorollaRWD -RUTHLESS-

Thought he was on dry sump?
    Think I am going to look at a baffled big wing sump for my car though, more oil can't be a bad thing.
    Alex

13. 20vWill

20vWill Active Member

Baaaad drainage design on the 16v 4AGE head promotes oil loss, especially on left handers when it all gets thrown through the PCV hose into the intake manifold for pseudo blown engine blue smoke effect.

Cam cover gaskets often seep oil as well, sometimes directly into the spark plug holes.

A correctly rigged-up pikey catch tank system will help, but keep a close eye on oil levels in any 4AGE when ragging it. They're nearly indestructible though, as long as oil and coolant is present and correct. Most 4AGE's I know of that have been killed were a result of insufficient oil issues.

Tommy, take note.... Drifting without a level even registering on the dipstick is a major no-no.