T72 Bluebird & NB MX5

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by PanozGTR, Jan 4, 2018.

1. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Finally got round to getting on here. Here's my two rusty old Nissans. The Bluebird (Redbird) is a running project/ daily, and the Laurel was a Christmas present to myself.
    Here's how each of them sit:

Bluebird:
    Home made/ MK2 Golf coilovers
    SSR MK1/ Slotmag wheels
    eBay jap cannon
    MK3 Golf splitter
    Corbeau seat/ Nardi wheel.

Laurel:
    Coilovers rear
    Plenty of rust
    Have S13/14 parts for the front (Coilovers, knuckles, brakes, DW lower arms)
    DW steering wheel.

IMG_20170912_122024_818.

IMG_20170909_191414_941.

DSC_0115.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

The Laurel is in a bit of a sorry state. Looking for a large facelift bumper, and a passenger side mirror if anyone is breaking one. Also seen posts of other people doing the Silvia front suspension swap, but not much info on tie rods/ ends. Any help with what I'll need is greatly appreciated!

DSC_0164.JPG

DSC_0159.JPG

DSC_0163.JPG

3. james

james Administrator
    Staff Member

yes! good work on the Bluebird :thumbs:

4. pole drift

pole drift Pipe Dreamer

Well that Bluebird has made me all sorts of happy :) Ill probably end up breaking one of the Laurels that I have if there's any parts that you need.

5. side slide

side slide Member

Red saloons are for winners, own a red saloon myself, zx turbo with a ca18det.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neal Bailey

Neal Bailey New Member

Hi, I would be interested in some Laurel parts. Would you let me know if you wish to sell the Alternator, the wheels and also whether yours is a manual gearbox. Is it a 2.4 Litre model ? If you are going to use it as a drift car I would be very interested in what your planned modifications are.

7. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

The wheels I believe are just trims, but I'm not too sure. They're definitely coming off though so would be happy to part ways with those if you wanted them. Alternator is staying, and it's an automatic for now (planning to change the engine and box when I can afford it).
    As for modifications, it's having S13 coilovers all round, S13 knuckles, S14 front brakes, bucket seats and a few more interior upgrades. Hoping to source an LSD for it too before I give in and weld the diff solid. Got some S13 rear brakes to play with but not entirely sure if they can be made to fit the rear. Car is currently at a friends having some of the worst rust repaired (structural stuff) so that I can get an MOT on it and get started on mods. Hopefully going to give it a temporary spray job too but still undecided on colour. Trying to build/ run 2 cars on an apprentice wage sucks haha.

8. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Really wanted to put an SR20DE in mine, as it's a fairly simple swap. Found an Autech tuned one with an LSD box and all, but then the Laurel came up for sale, and it just had to happen!

9. side slide

side slide Member

Yeah, LSD box for mine is pretty limited, it gets pretty lively haha. Sr20de been done on a few now so ample information out there for it, plenty of power and simplicity. I had a 1978 Laurel but got rid of it last year, considered a 1jz/RB for that but too many cars meant it had to go. I think I've seen your bluey on Facebook pages before. Still have a Nissan Cedric as a toy though.

10. Neal Bailey

Neal Bailey New Member

The wheels are alloy's, identical to mine. They are not a pretty style and small, but original. I will watch to see when you are ready to remove them ! Looking forward to see how this project progresses. Best of luck.

11. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Small updates.
    The Laurel has spent a bit of time with a friend of mine who does body repairs. He's cut and welded in new panels on the struts, wing and a bit on the sills. So it's getting closer to MOT ready. Still got lots to do, getting the S14 brakes together for the front and fitting the coilovers, making an exhaust that doesnt smash on the axle constantly etc, but it's getting there. Ordered some Super Advans to try on it too. Don't know how 17s will look on it, but it's worth a shot!
    Still unsure whether to leave the paint, or grab some rattle cans and give it a blast over with a different colour.

As for the Bluebird, the MK1s are back, and I've added a Hakosuka wing for mad downforce yo! The gearbox is whining but I'm hoping it'll limp through the rest of the year at least.

29665447_10155451373252006_8341322290018680674_o.

s-l1600.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KanjoEng

KanjoEng New Member

Gorgeous Bluebird mate.

There's one near me going for cheaps and yours is the ideal look, how hard was it fitting coilovers to it? and what's that front grill called?
    If I purchase I could only hope it looks half as cool as yours when I'm done!

13. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Thanks man! They're great for the money, nothing overly fancy about them, but slam them down and abuse them and they'll just take it. MK2 golf coilovers bolted straight in the front with the bluebird top mounts on. Rears I had to use the stock struts with replacement damper cartridges. Gut the old dampers, cut the spring seat off the strut, weld on a 2" threaded sleeve, then use the MK2 golf springs. Works fairly well but does ride stiff. The grill is just a pre-facelift Bluebird grill. Mostly found on T12 bluebirds.

14. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Update on the laurel progress.
    Spent my week off work trying to smash some jobs out and get it through an MOT. A friend has been patching rust up on the wing and sills for me.
    Unfortunately it failed it's MOT on more rust and unbalanced front brakes (two very stuck slider pins to blame).
    More welding being done whilst I'm away this week and hopefully a second attempt at the MOT Wednesday .
    Fingers crossed!

DSC_0422.JPG

15. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Update on the Yanny! Good news!
    Finally got an MOT on the Laurel, with some borrowed brake caliper carriers. Only one advisory which is for general rust/ corrosion. That'll get sorted when I can afford to get it painted. Used the bank holiday weekend to my advantage, and with the help of some friends smashed through some more work on the car.

Front coilovers fitted, S13 hubs, S14 brakes and disks, R32 tie rods, full service on the engine. Few issues still, stripped threads on the topmounts so got a new pair arriving soon. Still judders under braking and over 60mph. Pretty sure it's not the wheels, and think it could be the tension (strut rod/ caster rod etc) bushes as they seem pretty worn, so ordered some polybushes that I think should fit. Got some Driftworks adjustable LCAs to go on at the same time providing I can source all the hardware for them as they came pretty bare.

The white DHS wheels are staying for a little bit, put the Advans up for sale/trade as I think 15s would suit it way better (Hit me up if you want them!).
    Little photo dump for you. So glad to have this old thing on the road again, pleasantly surprised by the auto box too, it's not as horrid as I had imagined.

DSC_0440.JPG DSC_0441.JPG DSC_0445 crop. DSC_0446 crop.

16. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Also made a gear gaiter for the Bluebird. Nothing fancy, but something to do with the missus when it was raining outside. IMG_20180512_182231_851.

17. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

So this happened. Complete spur of the moment buy. Had to sell the laurel to fund it too, but I'm happy as it's a dream car of mine. 4AGE powered MK1 MR2. She's a fairly high miler with plenty of issues and rot. But she's mine. Will update with the progress on this one.

DSC_0527.JPG

18. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

Well life outside of cars has been pretty hectic, but here's an update.
    The MR2 ended up having more issues than I had time and money, plus I recently moved into a new flat and the insurance on it went up to a point where I couldn't justify it. So that got sold.
    Not long after the Bluebirds gearbox finally decided it had enough of holding oil properly, wasn't too much of an issue as the insurance was up early september anyway, so I dropped it into storage until I can source what I need for an SR20DE + gearbox swap from a Primera. Only issue is the car is about 150 miles from me, so actually going and doing it will be a pain. We shall wait and see.

In the mean time I needed something cheap, fairly reliable and far easier to source parts for than my usual rust buckets. Enter a £995 NB MX5! Nippy little 1.6L 5 speed. Although I needed cheap, I wasn't going to give in and have a boring car. It's already got a hard top, the seat and wheel from the Bluebird in it, and I picked up some HSD Dualtechs to go on once I find some wheels (Really after 15x7 Buddyclub P1s as they look beautiful on these). Then it's roll bar, maybe some exhaust work and a Torsen when funds allow.

DSC_0760.JPG

DSC_0763.JPG

DSC_0767 (2).JPG

19. PanozGTR

PanozGTR Member

So after struggling to find any P1s (If anyone does ever have any to sell in 4x100 or 4x114 15" then hit me up) I decided to say F it and ordered some JR29s from Driftworks along with new dust boots for the HSDs that I bought. As you can see, coilovers aren't in bad condition at all, just thought whilst they were out and we're getting into winter I'd sort the rear boots out. Car sits way nicer now and handles fantastically. Next up is a roll bar, engine/ rack raisers +spacers, something to get it sounding nicer and a torsen LSD. But still on naff wages so progress is not fast.
    Also I know it needs to go lower, but I haven't even touched the arches with a roller yet and it doesn't scrub, so it'll stay like this for a bit.

Got to do a project for work/ college and have been thinking about making something for the car. Toying with steering rack raisers, something simple that wont cost me loads to eventually have made. Has anyone fitted some to their MX and is it worth me investigating? Cheers!
    DSC_0790.JPG DSC_0906.JPG

20. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

Bluebird is cool as f*ck man. I mean rwd is cool and all, but that bluey is a cracking car - I used to have a U11 years ago from 1984 and despite the age was probably one of the comfiest cars I've ever driven.

Regarding the sr20, don't believe anyone that says any engine swap is easy - there's always many hurdles, especially when it's from a different chassis.

• Like Like x 1