Tedex's R32 GTST Project

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Tedex, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Tedex

Tedex Member

This will be my thread showing progress on my R32 project.

Sorry for the long first post, I've already done a few things.

I bought the car from R.K. Tuning in January, it came with a Blitz air filter, 17" Volk Racing Rims, Cusco strut bars front and rear, uprated clutch (R.K. said it might be a GTR clutch), and a tightened diff (R.Ks words, it's very clunky during tight, low speed cornering, I wonder if it’s a 1.5 or 2 way) and other than that, it was completly stock. Just what I was looking for!

It has got a bit of a paint crack on the left rear fender but it doesn't bother me really, I'll do it when i decide to find somewhere to get the paint.

DSC_0112plateedit.

I'm planning on doing all the work I can myself.
    I'm hoping it'll turn out to look like one of the cars I look to for inspiration - Tommy Robert’s Onevia, Chob’s (Risky Devil) S14 and a few others. It’ll possibly be driven daily and taken to drift days once I can get insured on it, for now my dad drives it (when I let him).

There were a few little bits to do first, like install a radio. It had a Japanese double din unit that the wiring had been cut off of, so i got a new CD/MP3/Ipod unit, harness adapter and a single din tray and installed those.

It had a very small leak from the diff, found out that one of the bolts was loose on the backplate, so tightened that and got some help changing the diff oil while i was there.

First real changes were to the exhaust system, with a Japspeed cat-back system, really nice kit, fitted easily (with a bit of persuasion to the old exhaust bolts).

SS850049.

SS850056plateedit.

Next up was a set of Japspeed coilovers, again very nice, easily fitted. Not too harsh to drive about on british roads either.

Didn't get any pictures installing them, so heres a picture of them looking pretty in the box.
    SS850063.

and an after shot of the car
    SS850066.

Then a few weeks after fitting the coilovers i found that 2 exhaust studs had snapped, so they had to be replaced. Got some help from a friend with this, using his air drills and stud extractors. Also got a new Japspeed all in one turbo elbow and downpipe fitted at the same time.

(sorry for the dodgy photo, was a quick, middle of the job, phone picture)
    You can get the idea of it though, inlet pipe off, turbo off and exhaust manifold removed.
    Photo-0201.

Bought and fitted a Tomei stage 1 ECU after fitting the rest of the exhaust system. Found out that the stock ECU has had a chip fitted, no idea what sort, just has an RB20DET sticker on the chip.

Next thing on the cards was to replace the slightly bent front rims (found this when I was changing the tyres).
    Found someone selling a set of three 17" Rota D1 (yes, 3! He had a blow out and damaged the other rear) two 7.5" fronts and one 8.5" rear. Bought those for a good price and got the front tyres swapped over.

This picture doesn't show the colour properly, they're a sort of grey colour (called gunmetal)
    SS850108.

Most recent picture I have of the car.

2009-05-27143224.

About a month ago I fitted a Japspeed De-cat pipe and NGK Iridium spark plugs, didn't get any pictures.

I then fitted a boost gauge, put new front brake pads in and fitted 20mm hubcentric bolt on spacers to the front to bring the wheels closer to the arch, had to hammer the inner lip flat so they didn't rub, no pictures again though.

I had planned to get a replacement 8.5" D1 for the rear but it seems that the gunmetal/charcoal colour is being phased out, so I'll have to have a think on what to do.

The weather managed to be sunny for a change and i got a chance to install the Walbro 255lph fuel pump. Sorry for the lack of pictures, i just seem to get in the swing of things while working and forget to take pictures.

SS850140.

It was a really easy job to be honest, no really difficult parts.

SS850141.

SS850143.

SS850142.

I also got the helper springs installed on to the front coilovers a few days ago, so it's now a bit lower (still want more...).

Mark at JDM garage left a message a few days ago, so phoned him. My Wheels should be on their way from Japan either today or tomorrow.

They're a set of 18x8 ET37 and 18x9 ET37 SSR Vienna Kreis (weak offsets, I know, I’ll spacer them out) that I bid on through their Yahoo Japan auctions, won them for a very good price. They should be in the UK by the end of September.

I'll be doing the rest of stage 1 soon, when funds allow and adjustable suspension parts.

A steering boss kit is on its way to me now from japan, with some longer rear wheel studs.

It also needs new rear brake pads, so I'll do those when i have the money. I'll also be lowering more, I need to hammer the rear inner lip flat so it doesn't catch and I should probably space the rears out some more but I'm waiting to see what size spacers I'll need for the SSRs.

Attached Files:

2. t51rjohn

t51rjohn Member

nice car mate makes me miss driving my R32!!

3. Tedex

Tedex Member

My steering wheel and boss kit turned up Monday, so I got to fitting that today.

Stock steering wheel removed, was easy to do, just took a bit of bashing with a rubber hammer to get it loose from the splines.

SS850144.

A picture of all the bits I was working with.

SS850147.

Random interior picture showing the boost gauge.

SS850145.

A few after shots.

SS850148.

SS850150.

And finally, a few exterior pictures.

DSC_0038-1.

A picture of the front wheel fitment, still needs more tyre stretch, spacers and to be lower.

DSC_0040-1.

And rear wheel fitment, the same really, more stretch, spacers and lower.

DSC_0044.

Loads of room!

DSC_0039-1.

DSC_0046.

4. JayR32

JayR32 spl dori waster

Looks pretty good, does need to come down a bit more imo.

What are you doing with the D1's when the SSR's arrive?

5. Tedex

Tedex Member

Thanks JayR32, i do agree, needs to come down about an inch or so more, I'll probably sort that out when the SSRs get here.

I haven't really decided what i'm going to be doing with the D1s yet, I do like them but I might sell them if I need some money.

Latest news is:
    got a full set of D1s now, managed to get the one i was looking for from rare rims used wheel list.

[​IMG]

Rolled (read hammered) in the rear arch lip, did a bit of paint work around the arches and a few cracks on the near side rear.

[​IMG]

Bought and fitted a Blitz FMIC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also bought a Gizzmo boost controller and some air ducting to do an air feed to the filter, no pictures of those yet.

6. Tedex

Tedex Member

Got some more updates for you all.

I’ve now fitted and set up the Gizzmo boost controller, now running 0.82bar, I also fitted the cold air feed to the filter, I haven’t got any pictures though.

My SSRs have arrived! Many thanks to JDM garage and their Yahoo Japan auctions.

I’m really pleased with them, considering the price I payed, there are a few marks on them but I knew about those from the auction description. They did come with tyres but they aren’t usable, which again, I knew about.

Specs are:
    SSR Vienna Kreis 18x8 ET37 and 18x9 ET37 (I'll be running a 25mm spacer all round, so effectivly ET12)

[​IMG]

Fronts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rears:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have a quick test fit of the 9s on the rear, I’m very pleased with how they’re going to look. They have got 25mm of spacers, so it takes the offset to ET12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It’s a bit of a tight fit with the 235/40s they have fitted but I’m going to be using a 225/40 on the rears so hopefully all shall be good. I’ll also be going about an inch lower when they’re properly fitted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve now got to get the tyres, I’ve already got 215/40/18s for the front, I’ve just got to get the 225/40/18s for the rear.

7. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

Glad you got rid of those silly D1s, the Viennas are much nicer.

8. Japsx

Japsx Member

yikes lol arches will require a slight roll

9. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

good work man, looking nice.

what did you do with the old exhaust? deffo not stock by looks of it, same bore as the JS one you put on going by that pic.

10. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

I was thinking the same, the old exhaust looks like a nice piece of kit.

11. Tedex

Tedex Member

Thanks guys much appreciated.

The Viennas are a lot nicer, yes. The D1s I only really got to replace the bent Volks that it came with.

I'm hoping the arches won't need much more work, i'll be going down a tyre size to a 225/40 so hopefully they'll just get under.

I've got no idea about the exhaust, it's sitting in my garage at the moment. as far as i remember the only markings i found were 'JASMA'. I'll have to have another look.

12. shines14

shines14 Member

r32---what a car. fare play its looking unreal.

13. eddie_r32

eddie_r32 Member

Looking good! I love viennas.

the old exhaust has a air of hks about it

14. Tedex

Tedex Member

Thanks, i love Viennas aswell, it's a strange style wheel but I love the look of them.

I still have no idea on the old exhaust, could be anything, I did wonder about HKS but nothing found that gives me any clues yet.

I've been lacking on updates, so i'll do it now.

Got tyres fitted to the SSRs, got 215/40s all round and got them on the car.

Bought an Apexi Multichecker, which is telling me that I'm maxing the injectors (98.9%) and air flow meter (99.9%), nice of it!

Fitted Japspeed rear camber arms.

Installed and setup an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Did an oil change, put Silkolene 10w50 in.

Got the rear height/fitment close to how i want it.

Next on the list is to sort out the front height/fitment and possibly get a set of RSP coilpacks. Might look at getting it dyno'd at some point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Quail

Quail Drifted.com

Looks great mate

16. PeterT

PeterT fuck diffin.

looks ace in the last few pics! think itd look mega with a roof spoiler!

17. BillyBoy722

BillyBoy722 Member

hey dude facking awesome 32! just been looking up that Apexi Multichecker device that you have and i am wondering where you got it from and how easy it is to install to your 32 coz i could do with one, for checking on my 32.

cheers

bill

18. Mattolodis

Mattolodis Active Member

Looking really good like you say drop the front and maybe a GTR front bumper with lip might finish the smooth subtle look your going for, loving the wheels maybe could do with a slight arch flare at the rear that will let you drop it some more :thumbs:

19. Dori Mat

Dori Mat Active Member

nice to see such a subtle 32 :smokin:

20. Tedex

Tedex Member

Thanks everyone!

BillyBoy722 - I got it from Japandyno on ebay. Really easy to install, just splice into certain wires on the ECU. Google should bring up a site with the instructions on, tells you which wires on the ECU are for the wires from the Multichecker. Took me about 15/20mins to do.

I have wondered about a roof spoiler, i do like the look of them. I've also thought about flaring the rear arch a bit aswell, so I could run less camber. Whether I'll do it is another question.