Tein Tie Rods

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Mitch, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

Just fitted my steering tie rods, and I had a drama of getting one of the balljoints undone yesterday, so I had to drive home with an old one and a new one.

I was a bit dubious as to how much difference they would make to the lock, so centred the steering wheel and counted the lock left and right, and found you get a quarter of a turn extra each way with the Teins fitted. It makes quite a difference after being used to the standard rods at low speeds (parking mainly), but how much difference does it make to drifting?

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Cool, how much did they cost?

I guess the main difference they'll make is you'll be able to get a larger drift angle with the front wheels pointing the way you want to go.

S13s have a fantasic turning circle anyway, must be ace with the rods on.

Can they be easily copied do you reckon? Are they just a bar threaded at either end or is there more to them?

3. shaiz

shaiz Active Member

They make a big difference, especially to lower speed drifts where you can use more lock. Back in my clutch kicking days (before the got a 2way) I found these gave me a much better chance of catching the initial slide.

4. shaiz

shaiz Active Member

Probably good for parking and stuff too.

5. mitto

mitto -NIGHTSPIRT FAMILY-

do you mean tension rods or steering control arms? im interested in your results!!!

6. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

£150 including the ripoff customs charge :mad: But better than the £280 I've been quoted over here :eek:

Even better turning circle as the wheels turn more :thumbs:

Copied? Not really. The whole bar is thicker and pre fitted into the steering rack end. I got them because my old S13 bent the old bars and I didn't want it to happen again.

The balljoints have the same castings and all markings on both the metal and also the rubber, so I reckon the only difference is that the female thread size has been enlarged the allow fitting of the rod. Certainly wouldn't pay 70 quid for one!!!!! :no:

Matt-No results drifting wise as of yet, but I'm hoping anything will help me out :nod: :D

7. Spannermonkey

Spannermonkey Member

I've just had a pair of these along with tein tension rods delivered. they'll be on the car for the next event.....

Look pretty too! If I ever roll my car, people can say "oooo, look at those pretty tein rods.....shame about the blood...."

LOL

8. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

I might get some tension rods as mine are getting a bit worn and I might as well... :D

How much are the Tein tension rods?

9. Miro

Miro Member

:D Thats funny..

These steering tie rods and tension rods sound like something I'd be interested in. Wonder if Bren from Apex supplies these, and if so, Steve; I've got another job for you :nod:.. These, coilovers and ARB's! hmm... *daydreamin*SiiDEEeWAyyyS!*
    -Milo

10. stoofer

stoofer Member

Brens shipping some Tein Tie Rods & Ends to me for £139. :) I knakered my stock tie rod end bushes while seperating them off the hubs

11. Mitch

Mitch In moderation

That's well cheap, Stu. SRB were charging £280, and £130 is cheaper than I got mine from the States :thumbs:

I've got tension rods on the way, as I'm impressed with the tie rods :nod:

12. Miro

Miro Member

Thats an awesome deal stoofer. Definetly be on my mods list me thinks :nod: