The Big Easy basking in the sun

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Ian.G, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

A few weeks ago I said goodbye to my E46 M3 :( It's been an amazing few years and I've really enjoyed it. It really is one of the best all round cars I've owned.

Its only natural to want to take a photograph of its replacement but I have been waiting for Mr Sun to work his magic in the evenings and provide me with a nice dramatic backdrop.

At about 9:15 last night the sky started to colour up and I hoped this would provide me with the sunset I've been waiting to see for months. I jumped in the big easy and found my spot and waited. 15 minutes later this happened.

[​IMG]

2. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

That is nice! Good work man.

3. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

Sweet picture dude!

4. Brooksie

Brooksie fuck off

nice shot Ian ! .. data ?

5. Ian.G

Ian.G 86 ColdTurkey

On flickr M-Car Sunset on Flickr - Photo Sharing! dude. There are a few software grads involved via lightroom and a bit of colour lift. About 1+ev just to put a bit of light down the side of the car (hence the noise).

The EXIF data on flickr is how the camera originally saw it. Lightroom doesn't seem to record any exposure changes etc in what you export.

From Lightroom

EV +1.07
    Colour Temp 7500K
    Recovery 22
    Fill Light 44
    Black 19
    Clarify +46
    Vibrance +33
    Saturation 0

The main differences from the original capture are below the horizon to try and bring some of the car up a little. Metering against the red of the sky obviously silhouetted the car a little more than I wanted and I couldn't use any fill from the 7D's diddy pop out flash as it casts a shadow in the frame as the 17-55 f2.8 is a big unit for its focal length. There are a few grads in the upper top corners to darken down the cloud on the right and to saturate the red at the top left.

Wished I'd had the tripod and the speedlite just to fill the car in a little. If the sky goes good again I will give it another try and be a bit better prepared. I wanted to get back home in time to watch the new series of the IT Crowd....street countdown init.

#5 Ian.G, Jul 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  6. bamber

bamber 'The Vision'

Great photo ian! Couldn't have got a better sunset really!

and as i said the other day, the big easy looks amazing dude. You've won the game!