The Daily Drift Car.

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Jordi, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Jordi

Jordi New Member

Hello. I'm 17 and live in Queensland Australia. Fresh out of school I'm looking to buy a 180sx as my first drift car. The problem being is that I want to be able to drive the car as a daily. I don't know if this is a good idea or not but here is what I'm thinking. If I can drive it to and from the track I save money on not needing to purchase a trailer as well as not needing to keep the trailer registered along with the vehicle that tows it.

My questions are: Can I build a roadworthy drift car? Are welded differentials and Hydros legal? Can I drive my drift car as a daily?

Hope someone can shed some light on this topic. :D

2. BenRice

BenRice Well-Known Member

Can you build a roadworthy drift car when you're 17? Some have succeeded, some haven't. Nothing stopping you giving it a go though

Are welded differentials and hydros legal? In Queensland? Not in the slightest, but you don't need them. Factory handbrake and shimmed up LSD and you're all set to start learning.

Can i drift my car as a daily? Yes, if you keep it N/A. There have been a bunch of dudes in Brissy that have run SR20DE 180sx/Silvia reliably and had an absolute ball.

It's a pretty simple recipe for a crap load of fun (in order of importance): shimmed 4.3 LSD diff (don't go 4.6 if using it as a daily), good handbrake shoes / pads, 15" wheels (cheap on tyres), coilovers, lock spacers, bucket seat, alloy radiator, fresh bushings in the rear subframe / suspension arms

3. Jordi

Jordi New Member

And where do you purchase most of your parts?

4. BenRice

Depends on your budget. If you're 17 straight out of school i can't imagine you're rolling in cash so will assume you're on the Mi Goreng diet

Shimmed 4.3 LSD diff - secondhand off Facebook marketplace / Gumtree. You want to be 100% it's a 4.3 and a viscous LSD otherwise you could be buying a $50 3.9 open / locker. Google how to tell the difference between them. If you're stuck, message me

Good handbrake shoes / pads - new. Throw "drift handbrake brake pads" into Google and see who's selling them cheap. Ebay will probably be your best bet. Google how to adjust handbrake cables and i'd call you a liar if there wasnt at least 5 YT videos on how to do

Lock spacers - new. Cheap as shit, Ebay to the rescue again

15" wheels - secondhand off Facebook marketplace / Gumtree. See if you can find some with tyres as well. Consider purchasing them in pairs as well. Try get something around the 8 to 9 inch width and between 0 and +30 offset for the front. Add wheel spacers to clear the caster arm / swaybar. Try get genuine Jap wheels, but if you can't stretch then grab some knockoff Johnies and avoid potholes / rumble strips

Coilovers - secondhand off Facebook marketplace / Gumtree. Try stick to BC Gold / HSD / MCA's as they are well supported in Aus and quality. Steer away from the old japanese coilovers. These are arseholed coilovers that are utterly worthless. People buy them because they're under the illusion they ar e"jdm yo" and anything JDM last forever, which is bollocks. If you can buy any of these things in this list new, buy coilovers new. And don't slam it on it's dick either, you'll be rolled by the cops in no time and fined within an inch of your life. Keep it sensible

Bucket seat - secondhand off Facebook marketplace / Gumtree. Try get one with a sliding rail for an S13/S14/S15 as well and it'll bolt straight in. Fixed back is best, but a reclinable is ok if none are available

Alloy radiator - secondhand off Facebook marketplace / Gumtree. CA18 and SR20 ones are different, so watch out for that. Look out for any that have twists in the core. New aren't that expensive, and Fenix have a Aussie retailer now i think so if you can spring for a freshie, do it.

Fresh bushings in the rear subframe / suspension arms - new. gktech are a good option here for you. I think they still do replacement poly bushes, if not Ebay again. Grab some cheap chinese front castor arms secondhand if they pop up and throw them in, and once you've fitted coilovers / lock spacers / wheels go get a GOOD alignment. Search this site for alignment specs, but if you're stuck message me.

Have a stalk through the old posts from these guys in the gram, they showed everyone how to DE/S13 at Queensland Raceway up until this year when they got out of the game:

https://www.instagram.com/isarasena_/
    https://www.instagram.com/stovemane/

And if your car doesn't come with a rear swaybar, get one. Even if its a 16mm one, it'll make a difference. Ideally grab an R32 GT-R or GTS4 one but anything is better than nothing. A 16mm will be next to free, a GTS4 might run you $150+, just make sure you get the D bushes, body mounts and end links as well

Have fun!

• Like Like x 3
  5. BenRice

Hunt out the drift sales pages on Facey too. Avoid buying stuff interstate, you're new to the game so buy it in person so you don't get screwed over. You have been warned.

It happens to all of us, so learn how to pick the scams

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jordi

Jordi New Member

Honestly thanks so much for you help, I’ll definitely keep in touch for any other questions I have! :D

7. BenRice

No worries dude. Post up any links of anything you're considering and i can give you a second opinion / what's worth checking

8. Phoenix

Phoenix D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Top Post by BenRice

The only thing I'd add is if and when you do get a 180sx drop all the fluids and redo them yourself. Doesn't matter if the bloke you're buying the car off claims that Keiichi Tsuchiya's personal mechanic swapped the fluids that morning peace of mind is a valuable thing in drifting.

Engine oil, coolant, gearbox, diff, brake and clutch fluid, hell even the screen wash drop the lot and refresh.

Chuck in an oil filter and a new fuel filter while you're at it as these are pennies. Timing belt/chain would be a good idea if you have the spare cash as it will get you familiar with working on the engine which you WILL have to do at some point and you don't want one of those snapping or going out of tolerance on you.

The most important thing you should do with the new car though is enjoy the fuck out of it