The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. jrtuning_ben

jrtuning_ben grippuuuu

ive always been an advocate of keep it simple with compound moves if you just want to get stronger

i follow wendlers 5/3/1 program :)

2. Jim_Bob

Jim_Bob Member

The Spartan series looks pretty good!

Calisthenics? Whenever I'm away with work I try and do bodyweight exercises to keep me ticking over, but not the old 50 push ups and the lark. Progressive bw exercises are pretty good. Going from push ups, to elevated pushups, uneven push ups, one handed, etc. Here's what I do: Convict Conditioning Review | The Lost Secrets of Strength

If you want to know more about it, give me a PM

3. Jim_Bob

Jim_Bob Member

5/3/1 is a solid program. Used that for my squats when they stalled.

4. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

You have my attention.. pm on route.

5. bessell

bessell Member

Why the actual fuck anyone would go to the gym and do weights on purpose is beyond me lol, good diet and light exercise is the key, I personally have never stepped foot in a gym and don't ever plan to, and I'd probably be able to show a few of you gym bummers up on the weights due to having a physical job, I hate the idea of being built like the hulk its difficult enough to find t-shirts to fit over my arms as it is.

6. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

^ That is a foolish statement.

7. bessell

bessell Member

What's foolish about it no where does it say eat shit drink beer and smoke fags it says a good diet and light exercise is good and probably better long term than bulking up to build muscle because as soon as you stop going to the gym it'll all turn to fat again

8. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

I'm saying it's foolish to state that you could show up people that weight train regularly when you don't.

I'm not turning this thread into a willy waving slanging match, I just find it annoying when people make statements like that.

9. jrtuning_ben

jrtuning_ben grippuuuu

bessels a stone mason - his work is his gym ;)

10. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

I have a whole range of exercise stuff at home but never found that I would really use it. Just after xmas a new gym oppened across the road from work (onegym, or mygym, something like that, £15ppm). Anyway at xmas I weighed 18.5st, and got myself down to 15st about a month ago.

I just find it much easier getting into a routeen of getting up early and going to the gym than finding time at home with the kids etc getting in the way.

11. milez

milez Active Member

ive been weight training for just under a year now. Just weights no cardio as i cant be fucked.

My gym is a one of the kind. I love it. Its such a shit hole but has got every bit of weight lifting equipment you could dream on and some fucking big guys train there

I have 3 shakes a day and try to keep above 200grams of protein per day.

Only problem is im ginger with pailer skin than casper the fucking ghost. The stretch marks on my chest, arm, armpit are nasty lol

12. oldroydsr4

oldroydsr4 Member

I can't stand the gym and generally hate any exercise that actually feels like exercise. I can't stand the douche bags that just go to the gym to look 'built', wear pink shirts and have developed their physique for vanity that in reality is useless for 99% of sports. I find the best form of exercise is a motorcross bike or open pit lane bike trackdays.

13. GethinD

GethinD [][][][][][][][][][]

I'm overweight, lazy, just over 30, and I hate the gym!!!!

If you're doing it right then you'll feel the same! It hurts. Fact. If you're not pushing yourself hard then you don't get it!

I am doing the three peaks challenge in 5 weeks time and 6 weeks ago i had never touched a gym! I don't enjoy it, I am overweight and I seriously struggle to do 3k but push myself to 5k! (approx. 30-35 mins) !

On the 10th/11th of August I will be taking part in the 3 peaks challenge (in behalf of Hope House) which I am hoping pure adrenaline will get
    me through!!!!

14. bessell

bessell Member

Grass lol. It's not just the weights involved though its reps and and the angles you have to lift at, also its all controlled lifts as we have tight tolerances to work too, anyone can lift 60kg but now try putting it on your shoulder walking it 100 feet then up 10 ladders through scaffolding put it down gently repeat the process for 2hrs then a half hour break do the same again for another hour then start bedding the stones, so now your doing 60 kilo reps with 3mm joints for 2 hours then a half hour break then another 2 hours of reps. That is a typical day for me the weights vary but used that for an example also that's with normal clothes on and overalls gloves and hard hat outside in all heats so on Thursday this was done in 29 degrees C, marc stick your gym up your arse life is a massive workout for some of us I didn't want to do the whole Willy wanging thing but you asked for a response like this as you seem to think that the gym is god and all who train are superior to all other's.

15. Liam.

Liam. Active Member

My brother has been doing cross fit for about a year . He has been doing iron man in the form of doubles and tripples for many years , He said nothing changes your body shape as quick as cross fit.

16. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

Hardly asked for you to get all upset and knickers all in a twist.

I know plenty of people who don't gym and have amazing strength. 90% of people who have never been to a gym would find lifting weights quite a shock, maybe your in the minority because of your job but I'd bet if you went to train with some of the more serious guys you would see that it's fucking hard work.

17. Jim_Bob

Jim_Bob Member

Not everyone has a job like yours.

So your day at work is a workout for you. Good for you :thumbs: Unfortunately, some of us don't do that stuff, and as such we go to the gym.

As for the whole you seem to think gym is god, superior training nonsense, you realise how ironic you sound when you brag that your work means that you're stronger than most gym goers and that your t-shirts don't fit you because of how massive you are. :wack:

18. Pikey

Pikey Active Member

well said this man :)

19. DRAGONFD3S

DRAGONFD3S Member

You can show me up if you want, shows us bummers how light the weihghts are......you maybe surprised though :)

20. Sea Squirrel

Sea Squirrel Jeff Mills Is Watching!

I busted up my knee and shoulder badly at the end of my winter season so only managed to get round to doing some exercise this week. Turns out it's fallen through the fucking floor. Lost all my strength AND my fitness so going to have to work on getting them back.

For me personally it's a combination; not outright body strength, not incredible cardio fitness. I need to keep a balance because a lot of the sports I do and enjoy, if I ended up fully ripped, I'd struggle to maintain the flexibility required to do them well.

That said, we were getting really good results in terms of putting on muscle from the way we were doing our reps. Never able to do more than 6 reps on each weight, only ever matching to the weakest arm. With the way it was structured and the drop down in weight every time until failure, by the end of a biceps session (for example) I couldn't lift a cup of water to my own face with one hand. Coupling that with a well structured diet it was INSANE how fast we were gaining strength. Not necessarily a cut up body, but brutal, bear like strength. It's what I'm going to do again now I'm able to get back into the gym.