The fitness thread

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by kam, Jun 29, 2012.

1. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

I've trapped a nerve in my shoulder so I can't straighten my left arm, can't reach for anything and can't twist it :(

Anyone have any working ideas to help it " untrap " itself ?

2. 4drmatt

4drmatt Member

If you're not already taking them, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory tablets should help. Surprisingly effective.

3. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Which bit tightens/hurts when you try and straighten your arm? If it's where the bicep connects to the elbow or your shoulder, I'd go to a doctor. It might be something like fairly trivial like tendinitis or you could have actually damaged something (like I did) and need to take it easy for a while. The biggest mistake I made was ignoring it for two weeks and then trying to go back to the gym, because I caused a lot more problems doing that.

4. DRAGONFD3S

DRAGONFD3S Member

Surprisngly harsh on the kidneys too, so use as little as possible. Also Ibuprofen is just a drug, so the 30p tesco will work just as well as the £4 nurofen.

5. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

Matt /dragon - yeah I'm takin ibuprofen like skittles but nothing really. Been like this for a week and I've been resting it. Went to the doc was there for about 30 seconds and he said to carry on

El - it's my forearm and thumb. Absolutely fine if its bent more than 45 degrees but if i straighten it to quickly it feels like a hot poker doing down my arm in to my thumb. Constantly feels dead/aching

If I move it slowly I can either feel it starting to twinge or if i manage to straighten my arm with out it hurting its ok but the moment i raise it up from my side ( either forwards/back/raising outwrds ) it goes crazy

6. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

Must be something in the air man, think I've done my rotator in. Was doing heavy bench and something felt bad, now it's sore to lay on and struggling with any over head lifting.

Just going to take it easy(ish) for a while, hate the rigmarole of the Doc's.

7. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

It was the rotator cuff that I fucked up, was out of lifting anything for 9 months then had to take it extremely easy for another 5 or 6. I still can't sleep on the right side of my body. Go and see a doctor if it persists because it will cause problems. The worst they will do is tell you to go away, which is where you're at now.

8. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

I did it over a week ago and the pain is a lot less now than it was, if it worsens I'll have to go in.

It's one of them situations when you've been lifting for a while, the thought of stopping and going backwards with your performance isn't really an option (in my head at least) and just fucking annoying.

9. el_bandido

el_bandido Member

Anyone else tried the 100 burpee challenge? Managed 100 in 5 minutes 38 seconds this morning which is a new PB. It's fucking knackering. I've been getting into loads of HIIT stuff lately and burpees have been a big part of it, coupling that with chin up routines I'm pretty much aching all over 6 days of the week.

It's also had the odd side effect of being able to run long distances without breaking a sweat, which is a bonus.

10. oli_the_thread

Ouch.
    Just started up again at the gym last week, few sessions to get back into the swing of things and back onto some proper full potential stuff this week. Probably just finished the most intense tricep workout I've ever done. Feels good to be constantly in pain again in a good way instead of through injury!

11. Lucasdemoley

Lucasdemoley Member

Sally up Sally down challenge

Popular in work ATM. I'm crap and fat so get to about a Minuit then give in!

12. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

Agree'd I think its a good way to get decent strength gains :)

Did some 18" deadlifts yesterday

12x empty bar 10x 60kg 8x 100kg 6x 140kg 4x 200kg 4x 240kg 4x 300kg 2x 340kg (missed 3rd rep) 1x 360kg

No straps just chalk and belt (for last 3 sets)

Haven't been keeping deadlifting in routine recently, but am going to keep at it to try and get where I want :)

Pleased my grip was ok, though did pull one calus off my finger :)

13. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

That's some impressive grip mate! I'm doing up 85kg shrugs now (they're going up in weight surprisingly easily), but by the end of 10 reps, I'm really struggling to hold the weight, my hands are just letting go! I've got some chalk left over from climbing, I'll definitely be taking that along every session.

Tempted to try 5x5 sometimes. Might give it a bit longer, then do it when I'm back from the states. Currently I superset quite a lot of things, I've also given 21's a go with bicep curls, I've added upto 10kg's onto my dips.
    Handstand pushup training is so hard though, it's really hard to make progress, although I can now do 3-4 handstand pushups against the wall. Muscleups haven't really progressed.

It's so frustrating being in the gym and seeing a bunch of 15/16 year olds squat more than I can because my leg still won't function properly though.

14. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

Chalk makes soooo much difference, as Mark will tell you though, you'll end up taking skin off before you loose grip.

15. FireStorm999

FireStorm999 Active Member

What about the wrist straps i see ppl using?

16. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Straps take a lot of strain out of your grip, don't think you are allowed to use them in compaction tho hence why people like markturbo train without them.

17. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Talking about chalk do people use powder or liquid? Iv got liquid now and it just doesn't feel right if you get me?

18. -Marc-

-Marc- -JZX-

I use the liquid because it's not as messy as carrying a bag of powder around.

Make sure you use moisturizer after though, sounds gay but you lace your hands with chalk 4-5 times a week and see what happens.

I've heard horror storys about straps, I wouldn't use them anyway though.

19. markturbo

markturbo Tarmac scrapper

Thanks mate, yer pleased it held up though my little finger fucking stings :euge: ha ha

Thats really good mate, yer chalk feels like youve glued your hands to the bar lol, sometimes I use rap style straps during non grip exercises (like dumbell rows and long back workouts where hands are fatiuged sp?)

Yer I think 5x5's work very well for decent strength gains as your getting good valume and weight. I love doing 21's at the end of arm workout :D

ha ha bugger handstand push ups :D

Ha ha yer definately, really changes grip limit, I also feel 'better' for using chalk rather than straps for Deadlifting

They certainly have there place, as said above I use them during other exercises where my grip runs out before the muscle I'm training lol

Yer straps really do make it easier, but depending on your goals etc can be handy.

Often as Chris says Powerlifiting comp's don't allow them, only tends to be Strongman comps that there occasionally allowed to be used.

I use powder (ebay chalk balls) just keep it in a climbing pouch :D I 've used liquid and its good, but I def prefer powder personnally :cool: