The law on spike wheel nuts

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by Willbrelsford, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Willbrelsford

Willbrelsford New Member

Anyone know the law regarding spike wheel nuts? Has anybody out there ever been pulled for them and what was said?
    Cheers

2. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

I don't know the law, but common sense (which seldom applies to vehicular law) would say as long as it isn't protruding the body line/wheel edge, it should be fine.
    I imagine most traffic plod would just see the modern day of Roman Chariot spikes, however, and want them removed on the spot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

Question is do you really want to draw the attention of the old bill for a set of silly wheel nuts?

4. prblmslvrs

prblmslvrs Active Member

"Imagine a kid fell over and knocked their head off your wheel nuts" - some carrot, Facebook, 2016.

No idea on the law, just wanted to share that quote.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. lewyS14a

lewyS14a Active Member

I ran 326 power ones on my MX5 and never had any trouble , i think as long as your sensible and keep them with in the wheel dish will all be fine. The spikes are quick to screw off should there be any trouble unlike the cheap ebay stuff.

6. Scoobydooo

Scoobydooo New Member

I was told today from my local MOT garage that these lug spikes are illegal and they would fail my MOT if I arrived with them on. I don't understand because all over the Internet it says there legal? Could possibly not be MOT worthy tho for pass.. i have no idea haha

20201013_190231.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. chrisyboi

chrisyboi Member

Jesus where to start on that Subaru.

yours will fail because the wheel nuts protrude the wheel, it’s really not rocket science is it?

more importantly yours should fail for running bolt on arches and the weakest fitting wheels ever.

stop buying universal fit aero off eBay and invest in some decent wheels.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. Scoobydooo

Scoobydooo New Member

Wow... bit harsh mate no need to pary poop my post haha.. i totally understand what your saying with my wheel nuts as they are pretty far out, id have to remove and replace the original one for mot..
    Also I've recently just brought this car as a long term project it come with these wheels which I do plan to change at some point... what you mean id fail on the Arches? They came with bolts when fitted

9. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

He means it's got massive arches and skinny wheels, which looks ridiculous.

Obviously this isn't your doing, but it looks like your job to put it right.

10. Fraser Mac

Fraser Mac Moderator
    Staff Member

If you are asking yourself "will the police / MOT centre stop me for this modification?" then the answer is probably yes.

Keep them for shows / take them off for your MOT.

Live the easy life.

11. Scoobydooo

Scoobydooo New Member

I totally agree it looks seriously out of character haha.. ive been thinking abouy wheel spacers but I was told they can be risky and dangerous so probably try and find a set of Japanese wide track wheels. Cool project tho keeps me busy