The New Forum - A positive thing!

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Oct 12, 2011.

1. mushtafa

mushtafa Member

Just a suggestion;

Members could pay a small fee (£15-£20 a year?), have a small tag under their name to show others they're contributing to the forum, get a sticker or something stupid and the adds disappear.

The adds are the WORST part of the forum now. I poked up with it yesterday until Tapatalk was setup properly, but was so annoying. Why do I want to see a sandwich plate for an s14 for example? I own an e36.

I know the adds equal income, but come on?? :(

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

2. M1kk0

M1kk0 New Member

I like this new forum, but it was more personal when at main forum window it said that how many are "drifting" on forum, now it just says how many are viewing. :(

3. scouse

scouse Active Member

I understand you musthafa but them adverts work because you actually took the time to see what they were,therefore doing what they do well.
    Anyway just scroll past them,i would if i'm not interested.

Another thing either my eye's are adjusted or you have been playing with the colour's or something.
    I do actually like the new look btw :thumbs:

4. ringer

ringer HOOooo!

[​IMG]

:D

We all agree though. ;)

I really like the forum, it's faster, smart and works perfectly on my PiePhone.

#24 ringer, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. kieran_e1

kieran_e1 In need of practice

Much appreciated mate.i do realise that you can never please everyone so thanks for doing that.

Now i'll take a free set of 14a cs2's as compensation for my distress

6. Loopy_drifter

Loopy_drifter Member

Lol at ^^^^^ I like the new look... :p:D

7. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

Welcome to the forums.. and just for you... that personal touch is restored :)

Who me? ;)

#27 FlikstRR, Oct 12, 2011
  8. Kenji

Kenji Active Member

I'm using IE8, and to my recollection, the "old" forum stretched to fit my screen.

Here you can see both "problems", made a screenshot:

[​IMG]

9. PhilMorrison

PhilMorrison Driftworks Owner
    Staff Member

The width is completely normal and to my knowledge has always been like that. My screen looks the same :)

The overlapping is wierd. we'll have a look :)

#29 PhilMorrison, Oct 12, 2011
  10. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

VBB is totally shit and with their newest version they still haven't looked into the issue of Browser Zoom (Ctrl + + ). Basically what happens when you try to zoom is the text goes out of proportion and you need to horizontal scroll to read the text. Normally zooming in will still make sure the text fits the borders of your screen. I've only seen a couple of forums that don't suffer this and not sure if it's the layout or the fact they use old design of VBB code. Example Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum - Powered by vBulletin

11. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

I'll say it again just for the record, the new forums great!

Navigation hasn't changed through the pages - it's still very quick compared to some forums out there!

As soon as I saw the adds I thought - nice touch. If anything it's going to be easier/quicker for people to get to the shop!

Your a business at the end of the day not a non-profit org!!!

I use both old iPad safari - new mac safari - ie8 - firefox and iphone3 safari to browse the site and I haven't found any layout or browsing issues at all!

Good job you bunch of lay abouts!!!

12. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Cheers and all that jazz, but I still Really don't like the ads in-between posts....
    It's fair enough to have ads, it's your site after all, just for forum worriors like myself it's very annoying, it's not something I will get used to, it's something that will infuriate me more and more....
    I personally think that the old ads were spot on, the size was never an issue, it let you know you were at the bottom of the page, and the fact the page numbers were so close to the ad meant you'd quite often hit the ad instead of the page number anyway. People that count know there is a shop:)

I also have to say, can we have the old smilleys back too, new ones are gash.

13. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Can i still wind trolls up? Yes? Then I have no problems.

14. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

Just to state - I hate the new facebook layout, we all put up with it because they won't change it. :D :p

I agree with someone above, did you subtly change the colours at all? It looks better. The one thing that'd be nice, since I don't expect you to get rid of the ads, is to make them so they don't blend into the posts so much. I'm learning to ignore them, but for someone who has a very long, or very short post and no avatar they just blend in.

I have no problems with any of the overlapping others have using Google Iron, the only overlap I see is the 'view more' in the advert box, it's merged into the 'page 1/2' etc.

15. hug - lo

hug - lo Active Member

People that count???

Core business and existing customer base is very important but without New business how can a company grow?

16. Lurch

Lurch Member

As I said in a previous topic somewhere. The new skin/format look's much more professional than the last.

17. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

I swear the forum's got thinner too, I'm using a 17" screen with firefox and it's probably only taking up 60% of the width available.

This is a forum for a company, you can't really complain if they decide to advertise a few of their products.

Have you tried using some 'cruize' site ever, they're jam-packed it does your head in.

18. theholty

theholty OH NOES

Add are still annoying, I keep thinking I've got to the bottom of the page when I haven't, but I understand the reasons and I guess we'll get used to them.

Also glad to see you've been messing with the contrast between the colours, seems a lot less fragmented and a bit easier on the eye now, I'd still tone down/get rid of that sig line though :p

19. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

I have been changing a lot during the course of last night and today since release.. trying to work in response to some feedback.. but ignoreing nit picking or personal preference.. but yea fonts/colors/some sizing got adddressed as requested.

20. DanGlennon

DanGlennon Member

You've all done a mint job lads forum looks class!!