The New Forum - A positive thing!

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by PhilMorrison, Oct 12, 2011.

1. docwra

docwra Active Member

Gotta say Phil, Im pretty disgusted with you using this forum, that you pay to provide, maintain and give up time to moderate and then let people use for free to advertise your own products. Capitalism at its worst, surely? ;) :D

2. dale_b

dale_b #DriftFactory

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the forum for what it is and all the rest of the good stuff it gives, but the shop/company would be only a fraction of what it is without the forum. The forum has made driftworks(as a company) what it is today, and if people get humpy(Re: the ads) they will not come back, then they will certainly not buy anything at all.

I'm not trying to cause offense or anything here, just saying it as I see it and hope you get what I'm babbling on about.

3. ringer

ringer HOOooo!

How's that advert in your signature working out for you? :D

4. mazdachris

Oooh I've just tried out reply with quote. I like how it appears below the post! Much more flowing.

Anyway, I like the changes you've made since yesterday, it really has helped address the points I think people (including me) were making. I still don't like the dark and orange, and maybe that's personal preference, but I do feel like where the forum is so dark, it makes things like bright avatars and logos and stuff, a bit distracting for the eyes. But that's not really something related to the new forum, just something I've always thought. And if we're able to select our own style templates, so I can have DW looking a bit lighter, I'll be a happy camper and stop moaning.

You guys have done a great job, and I don't have any problem with seeing a few adverts. In fact I'd much rather they split up the threads than sat directly under the page number at the bottom of the page, where my fat ham fingers often hit them instead of the page number on my iPhone.

5. Daddy_D

Daddy_D D1 street king

There is currently 5 advert boxes on a full 40 comment layout page. It's ridiculous!

6. FlikstRR

FlikstRR 330D powered

i think 25posts per page is the default? Is for me anyway. But i get 2/3 instances. The advert's were all differnt but we are still optimising code so to lwoer strain on server etc we have reduced it to just 3 ad's repeated per refresh. :)

Its currently set to: after 3rd post / every mulitple of 10 after that.

We will experiment.. but understand that noones really going to like them. Give it a few weeks and we will have something for you. :)

7. Chris_200SX

Chris_200SX -NightWalkers-

[​IMG]

I think the forums looks a hell of alot better, much more professional and looks like the rest of the site.

8. S14Adrian

S14Adrian Member

First time I've seen the new look forum since I got back off my hols.Nice work,looks very sleek.

9. Papercutout

Papercutout Active Member

You've done a great job mate, it's much better! Hope you got some sleep!

Not wanting to nit pick, but you can't expect everyone to stick to default, I've changed it to 30 posts per page, and I'm by no means the only one. Is there any way of controlling the number of ads per page, and setting in a min number of posts - e.g. upto 15 posts on a page = 1 ad, more than that and 2 ads, but no more than 2 ads even with a full 40 posts per page?

10. Dan507

Dan507 Member

I quite like it. also loving the fact you are selling KW coilovers for £0.00 might order a few sets!

Dan.

#50 Dan507, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  11. Clive

Clive Active Member

Emmm its ok.

Annoying I have to click on the thread, then click on page 3

Nik picking, I know

12. Gavwan

Gavwan Back to Black

I like it, the ads work as I now want a cap that I didn't know you did :) Personally I think the advert text would be clearer and carry just as much impact (it is orange) if it wasn't bold but meh....

...good job guys!

p.s my reply just auto saved too! sweet

13. SteveC200

SteveC200 Used to drift, now I don't.

Just a thought but why is it that when you go to driftworks.com it takes you straight to the blog. Wouldnt going to the shop as the home page make Phil and James richer quicker?:D Less excuse for not knowing theres a shop as well.:)

14. jamesflanagan

jamesflanagan Member

Can't believe all the people that are moaning about the new forum!! i think the changes are cool :) well done DRIFTWORKS

15. Kenji

Kenji Active Member

maybe it's just my mind f*cking with me then, as I seem to recall it used to stretch to fit my screen. But then again, things that are for granted aren't usually remembered clearly when they've changed. LOL.

16. wst

wst Member

It's very nice and shiny, wastes a little bit of screen at the edges but I'm on 1280x1024 so it's not too much waste tbh. I can see how it'd be a pain on a wider resolution.

I can't see the 'quick reply' box very well on my CRT, could it have a 2px orange border or something just to distinguish it from the blackground a bit better? Apart from that, it's sick. Autosaves posts :o

Oh and the 'reply to thread' buttons etc are much more professional looking.

Light text on dark background has been kept, thank god, dark-on-light is eyestrain hell ;)

17. initial_j

initial_j Made guy

+1 i want to be a mod to ban fools and slay trolls

18. BreadBin

BreadBin Rough Tonguer

I'd like to suggest that it's James and Phil who have made Driftworks what it is today, the forum is just a part of it IMO
    edit - I like the update and have no complaints :)

19. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

On top of a big fuck off Welsh mountain...
    It took me a while to get my head around the fact that my laptop wasn't actually fooked', then realised that there was a new layout. To be fair though the new layout works well in my opinion

Only real question....is the 'Search' function still as flexible as it was before, I'm getting quite a few 'Sorry fook' all found' etc?

20. JohnJ

JohnJ Active Member

Well I'm cruising about on the forum trying it out and I think it's mainly good. But there's a couple of things. When you are in a section, 'Drifting chat' for example can the thread titles be a bit bigger? Also the top left introducer is blocking the advert for me on the mid thread ads. (Which I don't mind at all).