The Sergeant

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by SLAMbert, Feb 3, 2010.

1. oldroydsr4

oldroydsr4 Member

Looks awesome, wish all the uk mk3 supras had JZ's.

2. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

looks so much better than the nato, top job.

miss mine now :(

3. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Cheers guys.

I went and done some more work on this at the weekend, mainly fitting the skirts I got over a year ago from Shine Auto, unfortunately the distributor i used in the UK was shocking, the goods were 2 months late and when they arrived were damaged and not the materials they were quoted to be. Once I complained I didn't hear anything from them.

Anyway while we were spraying the car my mate fixed one of the broken skirts and painted them along with the other trims.

I was unsure about putting them on, but after a fair amount of peer pressure I gave in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Glad I did, I think they look sweet.

The next stage is to tidy up the interior as my previous rush to fit the gauges and my friends mistaking my glove box as rubbish and throwing it away has resulted in a, well, unsightly condition.

So i started by hiding the wires to my external gauges, then securing the ECU to the floor pan as it was just hanging behind a mock glove box front.

[​IMG]

Then my mate made me a kick plate to keep it safe.

[​IMG]

Iv got to fit it next week along with the carpet, then it should be sweet and homely once again.

#63 SLAMbert, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  4. andystrat

andystrat Member

That car looks badass. Impressed with your exhaust dude.

5. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Not much been happening with this recently, basically just been driving it and enjoying it. Took it to Norfolk arena a few times since the respray and loved every minute of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got through some tyres and everything ran perfectly.
    But now, winter is coming. So its time to put it away once again, during this time ill be re welding the wishbones to work well with the modified hubs (as far as i can see those are the only obstructions). As well as giving the car a good service of all fluids and filters.

#65 SLAMbert, Nov 5, 2013
  6. Funyonion

Funyonion New Member

Looks awesome man keep up the work!!

7. Martt

Martt Member

Car looks sweet, can you dial in a little more camber in the front?

8. reverend5950

reverend5950 Member

sweet always liked these.

9. Mike@TDSW

Mike@TDSW Active Member

Very cool car.
    You keep perfecting it then one day once it's set up perfectly let me know so I can come buy it off you lol.

10. neil a walker

neil a walker Active Member

Ahh, i missed the Respray.
    Lovely choice of colour.:smokin::worthy:Looks Amazing without the rear factory spoiler too.
    Seriously considering one for my next car, although a BMW 635 is calling me at the moment:(

11. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Ha, it'll never be perfected. There will always be something to fettle with!

Cheers Neil, i would recommend them haha! Yeh i love the color too, but its outside at the moment until i make some room in the unit, so i have a problem iv never had before, worrying about the finish!

12. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

Work got a little slow over the past couple of weeks leading up to Christmas and with this being off the road i decided to try and solve a problem iv has ever since i re drilled the hubs for more lock last winter.

The re drilling of the hubs worked fine, but the lock was limited by the lower wishbone so i got a couple of cheap wishbones and got to work.

[​IMG]

Standard wishbones.

[​IMG]

I took measurements and marked out how much i wanted to come out of each side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then using the mill, a ripper and a fixture to keep it all square i removed the waste.

[​IMG]

Then i took measurements again, cut out some braces with the oxy torch and welded it all back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will be putting some ribbing in to brace that curve before i fit them but i need to check the clearance when its in place.

In other news i might not be able to fit these for a while due to my unit mate deciding and stating his ford is more important than my car and monopolizing the single bay we have spare. So i found another unit, and ill be moving everything there yet again so ill update you all when things have settled.

Cheers

#72 SLAMbert, Dec 19, 2013
  13. jacksheps

jacksheps Member

Great stuff bud, interesting read

14. liamjrhodes

liamjrhodes Member

Awesome work so far! look forward to more updates.

Car looks amazing now it has been painted!

15. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

So for a while now the Supra has been off the road away from the salt and i had quite a few plans for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a couple of weeks over the Christmas break to do what i wanted to it, this included :

Full service
    Fit wishbones
    Remove ABS pump and fit hydro
    Fit rear fog light
    Re fit front carpet properly
    Re fit glove box
    Fit oil pressure gauge
    Fit new backbox
    And possibly underseal the floor pan again.

Not a lot of this got done in my week off. Mainly due to the fact that my unit mates had attracted rats with the left over takeaways laying about and one decided to make a nest in the supra and chew through a fair few wires. Luckily, after i calmed down i found which wires were which (both depo gauges and a wire connecting the ecu to the fuse box) and re connected them.

Obviously though i didnt want my car to stay in a rat infested shit hole of a unit so i moved it round to a mates who said i could keep it there while i went about trying to kill vermin.

During that time though i was able to service the engine of oil and filters and change the oil in he R154. I went for this stuff.

[​IMG]

Id recommend it too, the box already feels smoother and changes feel a lot nicer.

Also got around to fitting the oil pressure gauge iv had for a while. The sender was too fat to fit on the block without cutting the sender/ or some ribs on the block about so i made a extension at work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This spaced it out enough to clear the obstructions and i can drill and tap into the side if i get a oil temp gauge too.

[​IMG]

I need to pull my finger out really as i need to get back out driving it as soon as possible so this weekend i should be installing the rear fog (for mot purposes) and mucking about with the hydro fitment.

#75 SLAMbert, Jan 23, 2014
  16. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

So, a fair amount has been done to this over the last few months.

I got it back on the road and started using it daily. At this point the engine light started to make a surprise appearance. So I used the paper clip technique and got the engine codes, code 21, o2 sensor.

I put a call in to Toyota and got quoted £165.00 for a new sensor, fuck that. I got the closest universal sensor that i could and wired it in, it also needed a flange made to suit the Toyota fixture. With that done i thought the problem was solved, unfortunately not. Engine light is still on, getting a lot better economy but code is still up, even after i scrubbed the codes.

Next to go wrong was the starter. Every 1:6 turns of the key i got the dreaded 'click' and had to whack it with the breaker bar. So i got it back in the unit and changed the starter. came out easily and everything was going well until i went to fit the replacement starter from a Soarer which was what engine came out of, guess what, different plug on the solenoid.

With that problem and no plug to solder on i only had the option of cleaning all the carbon crap out of my starter and re fitting it. With that done its been fine.... so far.

I also made the bonnet suit 90 degrees and re wired the electric fans so they actually worked.

[​IMG]

Next up is Norfolk arena next weekend.

#76 SLAMbert, May 4, 2014
  17. SLAMbert

SLAMbert Member

After the last update a few mates and I went to Norfolk arena. What a day, great weather, great people and awesome times.

[​IMG]

While drifting though i noticed a few problems with the car, the body rolled something chronic and the clutch was starting to slip. So started to do some research into spring rates for new springs to replace the ones that seem to be made of cheese on the coilovers i have.

So i had a chat with Neil A Walker (cheers mate) and he recommended i used 10kg/mm for the rears and 12kg/mm on the fronts. So i ordered the rear springs from Faulkner and changed them over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the coilovers up, copper slipped the threads and re installed them. Still waiting for the fronts to turn up.

Then i thought id install the Walbro 255 id had laying around for a little while. Its a job i was meant to do while doing the engine swap but id never got around to it.

Unfortunatly on the Supra Toyota thought it would be a awesome idea to put the access panel to the fuel pump UNDER the floor. So to get to it you have to remove the entire tank. Fantastic job on a +20 year old UK car. Straps were rotten, Hinges were seized as were the bolts.

I had to remove the straps by unbolting the whole assembly from the body of the car rather than the hinge and connecting bolt.

But it came out, Right after showering me with half of Norfolk arena and +20 years worth of crap in the eyes.

[​IMG]

Out came the stock pump.

[​IMG]

And in went the Walbro.

[​IMG]

After that i painted the tank.

[​IMG]

Refurbished the straps and unseized the hinges.

[​IMG]

Then put it all back together.

[​IMG]

Job done for the day. Next week i got to fit the front springs and see if it makes the slightest bit of difference. if not ill be purchasing HSD's.

#77 SLAMbert, May 27, 2014
  18. Kemp

Kemp New Member

One of the coolest cars on DW!

19. John_O

John_O Member

I may have missed it but what brand are the coilovers?

20. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

Great car, great thread.

2 O's in Too mind ;)