'The Titanic' £500 Budget Drift Car Build - Volvo Content Inside

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by silverzx, Apr 28, 2015.

1. silverzx

silverzx Member

So I've gone and bought myself a banger as although I love my S14, I want to have a go at twinning and down hill drifting which I've always been wary about in the S14 due to it's value (build thread here). So this Saturday just passed I traveled down to Bournemouth and picked up my new beater.

The purpose of this car is to A) have extremely cheap "no shits given" fun and B) give the Mrs a go at learning to drift.

It's a '94 Volvo 940 2.0 Wentworth Estate on 166k with no service history and a few months MOT.

The car itself cost less then a set of coilovers for the S14 so I already feel like I'm onto a winner.

I'm debating whether to spend £30-40 on some service parts to give it half a chance at surviving which include:

- 10w40 Oil
    - Oil Filter
    - Air Filter (S2000 OEM Cone)
    - Fuel Filter
    - NGK Spark Plugs
    - Power Steering Belt

Other than the servicing I plan to fit:

- 2.5" straight through exhaust
    - Boost gauge
    - Manual boost controller at 10-12 PSI
    - Weld diff
    - Bucket seats / harnesses
    - Completely strip
    - Hydro

(Budget dependent / if I like it)
    - Lower car
    - Chip
    - Suede deep dish steering wheel

I already have everything minus the bucket seats and chip and I'm not sure how to lower the car. I've had a few ideas and suggestions from friends which include heating the springs and allowing them to set lower (never tried this before), filling the shocks with extremely thick oil (never tried this before) and have been advised heavily against cutting them. Considering a set of springs are £130+ off eBay I might leave it at standard ride height (boat for the win).

As for the engine, it drove back absolutely fine, no problems at all. It's the 2.0 B200FT lump which is supposed to be the better block of the two (compared with the B230FT) in terms of tuning. Internals are good for 350bhp, not that I'll ever get near that. I'm hoping for near 200bhp as possible with as much weight removed as possible (1300kg would be nice but I'm doubtful it'll get under 1500kg even with the interior completely gone minus the dash).

First batch of updates will be this weekend (stripping and diff welding). After that's been done, if I take a liking to it I'll order the servicing filters, plugs etc and crack on with getting everything else done.

Cheers for reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 silverzx, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. silverzx

silverzx Member

If a MOD could edit the title to say 'The Titanic' instead of "The Titanic" as it didn't like the double quotes...

3. PinheiroT

PinheiroT New Member

Hi,
    I Have a 740, basically the same car, and I made some coilovers for it, because the ones that are for sell are way to expensive for my wallet.

There is also alot of info at turbobricks in how to make you own coilovers, but in Portugal is kind of hard to get some of the parts you need so I made a diferente thing.

Bouhght a low millenage used Seat Leon MK2 coilovers set plus 2006 Astra rear shocks (around 7cm shorter than the volvo ones).

For the rear springs you will need to make some plates so the lower side can fit in the car original place.
    The astra shocks just need some kind os spacers/washers, but are almost plug and play.

At the front you need a bit more work.
    Weld a larger sleeve in the place of the original one so the Seat coilovers can fit inside it and make some kind of part to thight it in place.
    The shock top will need to be thinered (i dont know if this word exists) so it fit in the place of the original one.

You will also need some more minor changes but as the work goes on you will see.
    The car rides awesome and very stiff (ate least for the car it is) and you will be able to drop at least 10cm on the back and 15cm or more at the front. It will depend in the way you make the sleeves.

I spent around 190€ in parts, the work was all made by me.

Sorry if my english is not the best but I hope I could help.

4. ElkWörks

ElkWörks Member

b230 red block can take a few hundred on the stock bottom, but I've never heard that with the b200. at least you have the turbo as my 745 230 was asthmatic but so much fun throwing something that big sideways. you'll enjoy it!

5. Boxertricks

Boxertricks Member

I'd definitely be carrying out the service you were thinking about doing. It will also be worth looking at your diff, gearbox and cooling system to make sure everything's in good order. Suspension, seat and handbrake operation will all be beneficial too.

Anything that can help maintain the drivetrain and cooling system is only going to help make it last longer, a cheap skid carisn't necessarily cheap if you don't get one session out of it or it's always breaking down ay.

If you don't put any money/hours into the mechanicals and thrash life out of it you won't get hour's of fun, you'll get hour's of ballache everytime you want to skid it but something keep's on fucking up.

It can still be done on a budget and you still won't have to care about wrecking it for fun but you will get more enjoyment and value for money if you make sure the important bits are looked after.

6. narancs

narancs Member

hey, our cars are twins :D
    [​IMG]

But I replaced the b200 with a T5
    [​IMG]

Ditched the live axle as well, now running on a '93 960 IRS rearend, the one with the coil springs, not leafs. + Locker.

These cars are fun!

7. mad.matt

mad.matt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. narancs

narancs Member

Get yourself a set of 960 springs, either diesel or petrol. And cut those. THey supposed to be harder.
    I had a 2.5 manual 960, that damn engine is unbelievably heavy...

err.... where did You hear that? b200 is a piece of a turd. There was a 2.0 16v turbo redblock, that is the holy grail(ish) engine but rare as hell.

The b23 are better starting points, especially the later ones with the thicker rods and oil squirters.

9. counteract

counteract -o=me

Just seen that you sold this, why?

10. Stavros

Stavros Active Member

I scrolled all the way to the bottom to say this exact thing.

But it turns out he's sold it and it was yet another project that never happened.

11. narancs

narancs Member

too bad. Volvos are fun, cheap and can' see many of them drifting... outside Sweden of course :D

12. silverzx

silverzx Member

Personal reasons.

(Get f**ked). :wack: