Thinking of building a track, what do people think?

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by D.I.Y Drifter, Apr 6, 2012.

1. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

If its that close then that could also Cause a problem of its easily visible from the Mway.

2. akinadan79

akinadan79 Active Member

Unfortunately there's a lot of truth in the saying that 'a pessimist is an informed optimist' but having said that, with the right planning and support (from the council, the drift community etc etc) this could work, and let's be honest there aren't many folk on DW that would be so bold as to stick their neck out (or have a big enough wallet) to even consider taking on a project like this...

I'm sure that all going well, a lot of people will take full advantage of what could be a fairly unique (in the UK at least) drift venue

it's a ballsy' project to take on and fully deserving of some good fortune and support.

3. docwra

docwra Active Member

Not negative, realistic. Some of the stuff on this thread is actually astonishingly nieve.

If its such a money spinner, and will break even within a year (most businesses take 5) why dont you think more people with the money to invest arent building tracks? Why do you think tracks are closing or reducing numbers all the time? Why do you think your average trackday costs £150 a day?

Ive said it three times now, Id love to be proven wrong, I really would, but all Im seeing is a bunch of dreamers who havent done any research into what they are battering on about. Its like going down the pub with your mates one Friday night and deciding you are going to build a production SUV, great idea, but the funding, legalities and expertise needed arent even in the same ballpark.

Ive half a mind to speak to a mate of mine who own a civil engineering firm to put together a fag packet quote, but Im sure if I did that no-one would believe me and slag me down for being negative again.

Anyway, prove me wrong and Ill be there for the first day.

Oh, and as for "this country" being negative, maybe its just that some of us have some actual life experience mate, and know that stuff isnt easy. Ive built two businesses from 0-5m turnovers, with a third well on the way - I wouldnt describe myself as negative but I do have some idea of what Im talking about.

#83 docwra, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. MartyHillPhoto

mx track doesnt cause any issues so why should the drift track?

5. milez

milez Active Member

ummmm smoke? retard

6. christomofo

christomofo Member

Dude seriously? No need for that. I say if you have the space and the funds go for it shame it's too far away for me to come play when it's done :-(

7. cefiro_drifta

down to smoke and distraction.... If morons behind a wheel slow down to crawling speed due to someone changing a tyre on the other side of the carriage way them im pretty sure seeing cars going round with smoke pouring out the back will cause some dickhead to loose concerntration and rear end someone.

AND LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL at the comment about putting the guy down and being negative......... as Doc said, which is all totally correct, its not neagtivity its realisum. There is so much red tape and monumental amounts of shit to go through to get something like this and if its even remotely anywhere near something the public use, be it a road or a fucking walking track it will be closed with in 6 months and thats IF it opens in the beginning

If current tracks are being closed why would they let a freshly built one open !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

8. SimonMitch

SimonMitch Member

How about we find a track thats closed and all chip in and buy that?

This would surely avoid the need for planning permission etc etc etc?

I too love the idea but running even a small company is hard work with the red tap and stuff and something like this thats more dangerous would have higher costs, more HSE hoops etc etc.

Still as per some of the other comments, I'd come down whenever I could.

9. docwra

docwra Active Member

Why is the track closed in the first place though? It will either be an envorinmental issue, or simply that it wasnt making enough money in the first place.

BTW, gonna phone you in a few minutes, I have some good news ;)

10. SimonMitch

SimonMitch Member

Good point but if its poor business decisions, including battling excessive borrowing or excessive executive pay, a good profit soon turns into a loss.

You only have to look at Donnington for how not to do it on track that should have been making good money.

11. 4drmatt

4drmatt Member

#91 4drmatt, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. cefiro_drifta

and gona cost a fortune to get it to any useable drift layout

13. docwra

docwra Active Member

£3.5m? Fucking hell, give me a day and Ill go pay cash. :wack:

14. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

Nah, Tom Yates is a tarmaccer, get him down there with his truck.

15. Ade B

Ade B Classic Ford drifter

Negativity and dream crushing is the norm on the internet, especially on forums.
    I say please do it!

Just look at how ropey Crail is, and they manage to have drift days with 90MPH entries happening on the main track!
    They get hassle from the council, and miserable car enthusiasts whining, but they're still on the go, and have been for around 20 years I think?