Tommy's MX5 mk1 (daily)

Thread in 'Project Cars and Builds Threads' started by Tommy Bates, Jun 6, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

Hey there

New to the forum so il go ahed and introduce my self, My name is Tommy, im 19 and from derbyshire

and this is the MX5 Project so far

few pics of the car when i got it home
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4[​IMG]

4-2-1 manifold
    [​IMG]
    lightnd flywheel and Exedy cluch
    [​IMG]

Car already came with Tein front shocks.
    [​IMG]

engine has different cams and adjustable cam pulleys according to previous owner
    [​IMG]
    miester R Zeta S coilovers
    [​IMG]
    had it dyno tested befor fitting the coilovers (ran 129 bhp)

[​IMG]
    then fitted the coilovers after ;) lows :D also fitted a rear lip
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]at modified nationals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is where im at today
    [​IMG]

this is a spare diff i have
    its a VLSD . any things i have to o to prep this diff befor welding up ? i.e like positions of gears or literaly just weld up as is ?
    will post more soon. new wheels will be coming next - then il be onto lips and more engine tuning

happy with it so far

2. Richhudson

Richhudson Member

Hey nice project dude, Is this a 1.6? by the look of the bay it is, 129bhp isn't bad, I have not really seen many naturally aspirated mods on mx5s like cams and adjustable pulleys most tend to just go for forced induction, well at least on these forums they do. I have a little 1.6 mx5 that I have been having a lot of fun in similar kind of plans, have got welded diff etc. Talking about the diff please do not make the same mistake as me and get it welded up wrong. I am now on my second welded diff because the first one leaked because of the welding. In a nut shell the best way to weld the vlsd up is to have the half shafts in when you do it, this will stop the gears from being welded up out of line which will cause the shafts to go in out of line which then means that the shafts break the oil seals. Follow this link to have a look at my build thread on mx5nutz is only a little one but I have kind of covered most things you need to know about the diff - Project Skint But Loves Skids - Members Rides - MX5Nutz Forum - Page 2

p.s where did you get the rear splitter from I want one but don't wanna pay mx5parts prices??

3. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

Thanks mate il have a look at that. Yeah gunna go n\a way with it. Engines coming out soon as I find another daily car then strip it down, skim head new rods pistons ect

4. keener

keener Member

Nice car man, where did you get that rear bumper splittler?

5. Tommy Bates

Tommy Bates Member

rear lip came from a mate of myne who knows a guy who knows another guy who is verry talented with fiberglass lol

unfortunatly cant find them anywhere else appart from mx5parts and you pay the earth of there

if your handy with fabrication id have a go at it yourself

just finished reeding your project thread attuly keener . look falward to whats coming next )