Too much boost ?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by Bowleg, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Bowleg

Bowleg New Member

Sorry if its a bit of a dullard question bit of a newbie! -
    1998 s14a : mostly standard at the minute apart from induction kit , ngk platinum plugs ( cooler than standard dcpr7es i think )

Is 14psi safe enough to be running?
    Car has drained my piggy bank - walbro pump and fmic coming soon.

2. AlexF

AlexF Has lock

This is a good place to find the answers to such questions in future, there's a wealth of experience on the http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/index.php?

However, general opinion is that 12-13psi is the most you want to go to on the standard fuel pump.

If you're drifting you'll be spending a large amount of time in the upper rev ranges (greater chance of running lean with standard pump) and there won't be much draft over the WMIC (hotter intake temps), so if I were you I'd run it even lower than that (maybe 11-12psi) for now. Better safe than sorry!

3. _rob_

_rob_ Member

i just put my boost up to 11.9 psi and to be honest its enough for drifting by a long way! If you start off lower and put it up as you go you develop the skills and then you have the power to back it up.

4. Ratdat

Ratdat aaaagh kurashuuu!!!

I've had my S13 (which has an S14 engine) at 14psi and it was on the limit of what I'd consider safe. Hot day and thrashing would result in det and possibly a melted plug :eek: That's with a good FMIC and a 1.8mm head gasket. I'd say 12psi was the limit really without a chip or something to sort the fuelling.

5. Bowleg

Bowleg New Member

Cheers for advise guys :thumbs:

6. top_dec

top_dec Member

Ive ran my s14 at a 14psi no prob with fuel or air!

7. Duane200sxS14

Duane200sxS14 Active Member

I'm running 0.9bar of boost and had no problems for drifting but im two things away from completing stage 2 just need some more money!! lol

Duane.

8. Old Skool Cars

Old Skool Cars Active Member

Whats this stage talk??? i thought that was all max power or ford cossie talk??

as top dec said above....im pretty sure his car was basically stock with a full system with a cat and pee shooter down pipe and it ran with 14psi with a trusty "free boost mod" all day long! ;)

whats involved to bring ur car up a Stage??? :rolleyes:

9. LDA

LDA Member

thanks to horsham developments there is now planned stages for mods for both the s13 and s14. have a look HERE

each stage of chip has been mapped for a set load of mods. so you can just use it as a shopping list for more power. far more sructured than lax flower stages.

L.