tool box recommendation - Halfords Advanced!

Thread in 'Other Chat' started by s13silvia, Jan 11, 2019.

1. s13silvia

s13silvia doughnut muncher

I've been struggling lately with getting a roll-cab for my garage and was relying on on-line reviews. Like most, i'm a firm believer you get what you pay for, snap on and mac are the top notch options etc. I also am a complete snob when it comes to tools themselves and am happy to spend the money on field proven good gear.

Well I spent the last few days physically checking out boxes to see what's what, and I was left surprised. The Halfords Advanced (and even the halfords basic to an extent) felt better, was smoother, had less drawer wobble than sealey superline, kingcrome, teng, carolus and a used proto (yes proto, not pro tools). What the halfords models lacked was automatic opening restriction on the basic model, a few less drawers and doesn't open quite fully; but for the price of £180 on trade you really can't go wrong. The teng was a clearance 8 drawer at a whopping £680 on discount - and it was nothing special, it had a better locking mech and sliders you needed to tug to open.. that was it; the drawer wobble was awful it felt so disconnected. So unless you're spending 1k plus on a Mac or Snap-on, Bahco or Sealey premier I doubt you're going to find a much better chest for the home mechanic, especially for the money. Whether the sliders remain reliable for years remains to be seen, but im sure with regular lubrication it should be fine.

Aesthetically the Halfords is probably at the bottom of the pile - but for the job of storing tools it's absolutely top notch.

• Like Like x 1
  2. r3k1355

r3k1355 Well-Known Member

The Halfords advanced tools have been really decent for ages.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tomsheen

tomsheen Active Member

The Halfords black boxes with the silvers drawer handles is the one to get. All boxes feel shit with no weight in the drawers. Stay away from teng always give trouble with drawers through my experience.
    I always advise the apprentices towards the Halfords black and silver ones before moving up to a snap on box if they need more space.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seabod

Seabod Member

Halfords are spot on with most things, lifetime garuntee with the advanced stuff and I’ve never had any let go yet. Brought the big black 5 draw roller last week and it feels brill, nice and smooth and weighty. I had the red one they do years ago and it felt like tin, well happy with there stuff and with a trade card you can get some decent money off (even when there on offer)

5. BumpTrunk

BumpTrunk New Member

The Halfords are the best, I guess. However, I don't think that the firm matters so much, it is important to have a qualitative toolbox. It must be durable and smooth, so just pick one that you like the most. I would recommend you to choose one that has some very qualitative linear slides, like these ones qualitative teleskopische führungsschienen. Everything else doesn't matter so much. This is the most important part of a toolbox, my friend, so be careful.

#5 BumpTrunk, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020