Tuning a 300ZX to be drift ready

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Goldslice, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Goldslice

Goldslice New Member

Hey guys,

New to the forums and to cars. I've done my own research over time and seen 300ZX's as being "Not the top of the line drift cars", pretty much motivating me into getting one. As of yesterday, I picked up a 1992 pearl white 300ZX 2+2 with 169,000 Miles. It's an Automatic transmission and I believe it has a 6-Cylinder 3.0L V6 DOHC 24V, for an engine.

Now here's why I'm here, I want to make it a drift car, obviously. My biggest issue is the lack of knowledge I have on what I need to do with my car inorder to make it go sideways. Yes, I understand more power can help but there has got to be more to just upgrading the engine, which I plan on doing in the future. I don't know if it's just me but I can't die to find many guides on upgrading 300ZX's to a drift car. I know doing something with the knuckles to make the wheels spin more would help it dramatically, as I've read. Will this make it a bad daily driver though?

In short, could someone please make a list of upgrades that I should do to my car in order to make it easier on drifting, starting with most important at the top. From there I can search the forums and hopefully be less of a burden on you guys in the forums.

(Ex:
    1.asjdf;ljasldfj
    2.aksjdf;ajs;dfk
    3.asdkjflasdj;lfja
    4.ajslfdklsjkdfl;jksad)

Thanks so much

-Austin Fernandes

2. GmasterT

GmasterT Heavy Industries...

weld diff, fit bucket seat go practise, get coilys if your keen.

This tuning guide works on most rwd cars :thumbs:

3. Goldslice

Goldslice New Member

Damn, I need to change the diff? I thought it came stock with LSD? Will start looking for coils.

4. dandadude

dandadude Active Member

LSD is fine to start with. Change the gearbox to a manual is essential though, then get lots of tyres, then seat time. You would have saved yourself way more effort and probably money in just buying a manual from the off and if it was the twin turbo version you would have all the power you would ever need. 2 birds with one stone and all that.... Good luck!

5. Goldslice

Goldslice New Member

6. pwalker

pwalker Member

someone on this forum currently has a manual twin turbo for sale for £900.....may well be worth just buying that instead....i would

7. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

A 21 yr old LSD is never fine to start with as it probably won't work

Weld diff, cut springs, get lots of tyres and practise

8. Goldslice

Goldslice New Member

Yikes I'm in the states. That Euro sign sounds pricy for shipping. :#

- - - Updated - - -

Some guy at work recommended cutting springs. What does that actually do?

9. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

lowers the height of your car. makes it more stable. also you could get strut bars, for me it felt so much stable after bolting them on ( i have front and rear). They are also kinda cheap. You will not need to modify your knuckles yet, you wont be needing that extra angle for a while. IF on low budget, cut springs, get strut bars, weld dif. If you can afford get a proper LSD, maybe a hydro e-brake, coilovers...and lots of tires. the stock 222 HP is good for a start. Some basic upgrades can be changin your air filter, free flow exhaust system, tubular manifold... cold spark plugs... these will give you a few, but getting a programmable ECU would be also a good start.

10. Goldslice

Goldslice New Member

Yeah, I'll look into cutting springs. I don't have the welding equipment so I'll just get a dif. I'll look into those engine upgrades. Should I redo all fluids? If so which ones and when I drain all of the fluids do I do something to clean it out or just add a new fluid? Any recommendations on fluids? Thanks :)

11. cefiro_drifta

cefiro_drifta Mad pointing Munky

I wouldn't waste any money on the NA engine, especially whilst its still an auto

12. Goldslice

Goldslice New Member

Would you recommend that I just wait and get a new engine that comes with a 5-speed transmission? I really wanna get a JDM engine, what would you recommend be good enough with the 300zx's weight.

13. Silviafan

Silviafan Member

on my oppinion the engine is fine for now, later you can swap it. When you change oil, you need to change the filter aswell. But you will need a manual transmission for maximum fun. you need that clutch you will see

14. pwalker

pwalker Member

15. karlos28

karlos28 Member

my mate drifts his manual N/A with standard 21 year old sd fine in the wet. all hes done is coilovers and new headers.