Turbo whine?

Thread in 'Technical Questions' started by SkylineLvr, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

Sorry about the crappy vid. I just made it real quick trying to catch it, the whining sound is very low. If I drive it up to boost, it'll sound fine up until around 4k rpms, then it does a crazy loud whine sound. I don't like making the car do this, but I might do it tomorrow and record it on my phone.

If you can hear it, what would be causing it?

I'm not too worried about it because my new turbo finally arrived today. I should be able to get it installed this weekend. I'm just worried that it's not my turbo that is causing the sound and something else that I need to replace.

note: Please no comments on my video is crap. I know it's crap. I wasn't trying to make an amazing, professional video. My car started to make the sound so I figured I could try and catch it real quick on my phone.

2. Burger93

Burger93 Member

I might be wrong( and more then likely am) but could be quite a large boost leak, does it have a lack of power? And only in boost?

3. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

The power does drop once I hit around 4k rpms, but it makes some crazy whining sounds.

How do I go about checking for a boost leak, and are there any typical places to look? The motor is an SR20DET from an S14.

4. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

That does sound like a boost leak. Just check all the hoses and clamps fron the turbo to the inlet manifold. Have you got a boost gauge?

5. Gymbob

Gymbob Active Member

check the tubby gaskets..

does it sound like that all through the rev range and even when you turn it off and the turbine is still spinning?

6. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

I took a look at all the clamps and found 1 that is broken and possibly a second one broken. I also noticed that one of the silicone couplers is starting to crack. I'll be replacing the 2 clamps probably tomorrow, but not sure where to go for the silicone coupler. I know I can order them online, but I would really like to buy one locally and not have to wait for it.

7. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

It will only make that sound if I run it in boost for a little bit. Once the boost drops down, the whine goes away. You won't hear the whine at all when I drive it normally off of boost.

8. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

I took the car out for a short drive and got it up to boost. I didn't go full boost, but got it high enough to where it would typically start to whine. It didn't do the whine and boost felt good through it. It appears that it was indeed a boost leak. Thanks for the help guys.

9. Swampy442

Swampy442 Active Member

No worries, simple things first :)

10. Burger93

Burger93 Member

Yay it seems I was right:) glad you sorted it dude!

11. SkylineLvr

SkylineLvr Member

Thanks guys. I'm glad it was something as simple as this. Now I can install my new turbo and not have to worry about wondering if the whine will be there or not.