Tyre rule RE: Fronts only!

Thread in 'Drifting Chat / Pictures / Videos' started by Dylan, Feb 28, 2013.

?

Tyre wear rating rule...

1. All 4 wheels to comply to 180 wear rating

11.1%
  2. Only rear tyres to comply to 180 wear rating

30.6%
  3. No wear rating rule all round, just E-marked. Rule 3.6

38.9%
  4. Slicks and allsorts (No tyre rules whatsoever)

19.4%
  1. Geldy

Geldy the pain train woowo

r888 have allways been aloud on the front?

2. Ricky Emery

Ricky Emery Active Member

Not anymore as they are no longer e marked.

3. superclarkey

superclarkey DORITECH MOTORSPORT

Treadwear is a guide, its not a softness lol, you have more tread on the tyre it will be a higher tread wear.

If you hardness tested some of the tyres that claim to be ok in the rules you'll find them to be too soft, or way too hard.

Either test ALL tyres or none at all. simple.

4. Ricky Emery

Agreed. But that's to costly and time consuming it's a shame the manufacturer treadwear rating isn't a standardised rating.

So the only tyres that will be tested are ones without treadwear ratings then they will be compared to a tyre that is of the minimum rating to see if they are allowed.

5. superclarkey

So you agree the rule is unfair, because those who have tyre sponsors or direct dealings with the manufactures can just get tyres made to suit in same moulds, now I know this goes on so don't be pretending it doesn't, so unless batch of tyres from each team are tested then its unfair and shouldn't be allowed, really as simple as that.

I can get tyres that are E-marked, massive tread to bring them to 180 tread wear but are more like 100 tread wear, but if they are marked you would have no right to test them and It would be an unfair advantage, don't you agree ?

Just my point of view on that matter, nothing personal agenst BDC just in general.

6. Ricky Emery

Yes. Exactly mate.

7. Geldy

Geldy the pain train woowo

not being funny but if you can use r888 in MSA reged race's why can they be used in bdc?

8. diamondsink

diamondsink Kyouto Drift

As its been said tread wear rating is useless. For example an older federal RSR is 180 and the new Achilles 123 has a rating of 220 but its physical feels softer. The rating is pushed up as it has really deep tread.

Random tests and test on suspicious tyres. The organisers will know the likely people that may run illegal rubber. But then i don't think i saw any actual minimum hardness figure in the rules? One needs to be set and communicated if so.

9. Ricky Emery

Several 180 tyres will be tested and using the shore scale any unmarked tyres will be compared to this figure. Also you are wrong. The 123 Drifts don't have loads of tread at all definitely less then the normal 8mm. Maybe 6mm tops.

10. Cowpatmatt

Cowpatmatt Active Member

if its still not enough grip on the rears then people can always go wider, no restriction on that.
    I am glad there is a restriction on tyres, makes it more of a competition rather than who has the biggest budget for tyres.

11. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

Well i tried to buy some Maxxis MA-Z1 Drifts for the upcoming round, and it transpires that Maxxis are no longer stocking Z1-Drifts unless for sponsorship agreements.

Slightly unfair is it not, that we cant even buy the tyres of the max advised treadwear :( but sponsored drivers will still be running them.

Please could someone at BDC advise on this situation as this was from a guy who works at Maxxis.

12. Ricky Emery

Dylan, they aren't the softest rated tyre. They are a 220. But yes that is bollocks BDC Rules state you must be able to buy the tyres over a counter in the UK!!

13. reeperR32

reeperR32 Drift-Street-Imports

eh?? i have an email from them recently giving me a price on these tyres at slight discounted rate to bdc drivers... no mention of sponsorship either although i would take it if offered lol

*edit
    just read the email again and it said "on special" but with plenty of stock so this may apply to anyone, not just drivers..

cheap for front tyres but too many people put me off them being no good unless hot hot

#33 reeperR32, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  14. Dylan

Dylan JZS14FTW

This is what I got today.

"
    Hi

Unfortunately due to budget constraints we are no longer stocking drift tyres other than for sponsorship agreements. Our factory has minimum order requirements which means that we have to order at least 200 of each size, I would be happy to quote you if you are looking for those sort of quantities."

You sure you weren't quoted for MAZ1 and not MAZ1 drift?

15. reeperR32

100% maz1 drift because i asked as confirmation.. they said in my "size" so maybe thats why.. i dont know... infact i just checked the price list they sent me and it has very selected sizes.. biggest 18" is a 235... im guessing this may be the reason

16. Ricky Emery

In that case no one can run the Maxxis MAZ1 Drifts if you can't go and buy them over the counter!.....

17. reeperR32

demon tweeks sells them

18. Ricky Emery

Yes for how long if Maxxis aren't stocking them?

19. superclarkey

IMHO the whole point of PRO is that they can affrod better tyres then the amatures, normally this is the point of different classes, If I enter myself into the WRC and start moaning that the other teams have unfair parts because I can't afford them, well I would be a dick.

Same if you turned up at FD, oh no my little 2.5ltr E30 can't keep up with the 900bhp of saito, ban that so i cna be compettive agnest him.

Fucked up in drifting how EVERYONE is PRO! lol

20. Sam H

Sam H Troll Dispatch

They don't have any in stock, i tried to buy some last week for the front.